PDA

View Full Version : So where do you concider tailbone to be, LHC?

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 05:11 AM
I always thought that tailbone was at the top of your dear rear end. You know, just above the vertical smile.

Yesterday I asked my boyfriend (who is a doctor, and therefor quite alot better at anatomy than I am) and he said that your tailbone is "as far down that you can feel bone". So that would mean somewhere between your... cheeks.

I have looked at old threads here on LHC, and seen different interpretations of where tailbone lenght is. Some talk about the middle of the bum, some about the top of the bum and some about a few inches down the top of the bum.

Can we decide wich it is? :p I always thought I wanted tailbone lenght, but now it seems it was really butt crack (such a pretty name!) lenght I was after.

What say you?

Mesmerise
June 23rd, 2011, 05:16 AM
Your BF is right, your tailbone is right at the base of the spine where you can feel that knobbly little bone!

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 05:18 AM
Well, he should be right! If not, I would be worried about what they had been doing at medical school for five years! :eek:

But it seems I'm not the only one who is/was confused about this. I wonder how that is.

Mesmerise
June 23rd, 2011, 05:20 AM
Well I guess it's the way people are sometimes confused by waist or hip! I've seen people say they've got waist length hair, when it's about hip. It depends on your definition of where something is! To me waist is the smallest part of your torso, while hip is where the hip bone is (although hips are kinda big so your hair is "hip length" for awhile).

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 05:30 AM
You're right. It's not exactly obvious where your tailbone is, in comparison with other body parts. I am very aware of where my waist and hips are! :D BSL is another of those lenghts that people seem to interpret differently. Is it at the top of the strap, the middle of the strap, or at the lower strap? Or all of the above? :p

julliams
June 23rd, 2011, 05:46 AM
I always thought tailbone length was at the end of that little bone called the coccyx. The one you are thinking of is sometimes referred to as BCL (butt crack length - I think). What a lovely term!

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 05:52 AM
I know, it seems me and some other people on this forum has gotten BCL and TBL mixed up.

We really can't call it butt crack lenght. We have to rename it. End of Back Lenght? Vertical Smile Lenght? Or how about Eowyn Lenght? Although her lenght seem to fluctuate a little through the movies...

jojo
June 23rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
TB length is self explanatory its where the tailbone or coccyx is. Bum crack length is where your bum crack starts.

jojo
June 23rd, 2011, 07:00 AM
You're right. It's not exactly obvious where your tailbone is, in comparison with other body parts. I am very aware of where my waist and hips are! :D BSL is another of those lenghts that people seem to interpret differently. Is it at the top of the strap, the middle of the strap, or at the lower strap? Or all of the above? :p

I disagree your only have one tailbone and its quite easy to locate, unlike bsl for example where lots call themselves when really they are only a little past apl! or say they are waist when they are really just past bsl! with the tail bone you cant cheat its where it is!:)

RitaPG
June 23rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
That's why I don't have tailbone on my signature goals, I just can't really figure out where it is, except that it's in a wierd place between waist and classic, past the hips :p
It's like the place between BSL and waist, some people have a hard time figuring out when it stopped being BSL and got to waist.

RitaPG
June 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
We really can't call it butt crack lenght. We have to rename it.
Why? It seems to me that it is a rather specific spot (easier than tailbone) don't see why it shouldn't be a valid one.

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 07:12 AM
I disagree your only have one tailbone and its quite easy to locate, unlike bsl for example where lots call themselves when really they are only a little past apl! or say they are waist when they are really just past bsl! with the tail bone you cant cheat its where it is!:)

I know, but I think I'm not the only one here who thought that the tailbone was at your bum crack. There is a bone there as well, at least on me. :) And if your real tailbone is easy or not to find might depend on how big and squishy your bum is! :silly:

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 07:14 AM
Why? It seems to me that it is a rather specific spot (easier than tailbone) don't see why it shouldn't be a valid one.

I made a joke. :) Of course it's a valid spot to measure at, the name is just so... I don't know. Ugly?

pepperminttea
June 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM
I feel your pain OP. I think my tailbone is 'off' somehow because I can't find it at all, though I keep reading that it's easy to find and rather obvious. My measurement for TB is about 2-3 inches past BCL, so about midway down the butt. That's the closest I think I'll get. :shrug:

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
I hear you, pepperminttea! Also, looking for it (errr, well) isn't exactly... nice. :bigeyes: But I guess a good indicator is, if you find a bone, touch it and it feels really uncomfortable or hurts even, you've found your tailbone.

I will have to look no further.:tmi:

RitaPG
June 23rd, 2011, 07:35 AM
I made a joke. :) Of course it's a valid spot to measure at, the name is just so... I don't know. Ugly?
I think it's kinda funny, in a silly way :p

SpinDance
June 23rd, 2011, 07:38 AM
I decided I rather liked BCL as a term for the top of the, um, vertical smile. I especially got a kick out of startling my teenage son by calling my hair BCL when it got there, then defining the term. His expression was priceless! :D

For those who are having trouble finding TB, just put your finger on your spine at or about BCL, and follow the bone down until there is no more bone. If you find anything else, well, you went too far! The spine curls under at the very end, otherwise we'd have tiny tails sticking out.

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 07:45 AM
I think it's kinda funny, in a silly way :p

Have you seen Despicable Me? When three minions take copies of one of their bums and go: "Butt! Teeheehee!" ... "Butt! Teeheehee!" It's in that category, I think. :)

I decided I rather liked BCL as a term for the top of the, um, vertical smile. I especially got a kick out of startling my teenage son by calling my hair BCL when it got there, then defining the term. His expression was priceless! :D

Tee hee. "MOM! Cut it out!" :p

For those who are having trouble finding TB, just put your finger on your spine at or about BCL, and follow the bone down until there is no more bone. If you find anything else, well, you went too far!

That's a BINGO! :D

Okay, since we all are a bunch of teenagers here, let's not rename it. :poot:

jojo
June 23rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
I know, but I think I'm not the only one here who thought that the tailbone was at your bum crack. There is a bone there as well, at least on me. :) And if your real tailbone is easy or not to find might depend on how big and squishy your bum is! :silly:

it is pretty bony on everyone, i am a nurse and can honestly say ive never not been able to locate it! big bums are big cheeks :) the tailbone doesnt have hardly ant fat on it. I cannot understand people cannot determine where it is and are confusing it with the bum crack, the bum crack is the top of the cheeks and the the tb the bottom!

Laurenji
June 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
See, I've always been confused about Tailbone vs Hip length. I was never quite sure where hip length was, because in sewing, your hip measurement is taken at the very widest part of your hips, about halfway down your butt. But some people here seemed to consider hip length to be at the top of your hip bones, a few inches past waist.

spidermom
June 23rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
My own definition is that tailbone length starts at the top of the cleft and continues to the end of the coccyx.

Sweet Beat
June 23rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
It's where the tailbone ends :)

elbow chic
June 23rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Have you seen Despicable Me? When three minions take copies of one of their bums and go: "Butt! Teeheehee!" ... "Butt! Teeheehee!"

that's one of my favorite cinematic scenes ever!

Add me to the list of people with no real clear idea where my tailbone is. I have a long time before I have to worry about it, though. lol. The impression I got from looking at the George Micheal standard lengths page was that it was the length that is almost or just touching the floor when you sit cross-legged.

elbow chic
June 23rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
I

For those who are having trouble finding TB, just put your finger on your spine at or about BCL, and follow the bone down until there is no more bone. If you find anything else, well, you went too far! The spine curls under at the very end, otherwise we'd have tiny tails sticking out.

ooh, just found it. Good instructions. It does feel funny to press on it. Thank heavens for butt-fat.

ericthegreat
June 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Tailbone length is pretty specific. Your tailbone, or its scientific name the coccyx which lies at the base of the spine. Its right in the middle of where the top of your butt begins, which is a pretty specific point on your body and easy to locate.

ashamanjababu
June 23rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Am I the only one totally loving the term "butt crack length?" I think that is my new goal!

BrightEyes7
June 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM
I always consider TBL to be where the tailbone ends. So it's actually somewhere between the crack. It, like every length, differs on everyone because we are all built different. For some BCL and TBL are the same because they have a low crack. For others it can be inches apart if they have a long crack.

I say call your goal length whatever you want and once you get there you get there!

Notluckyblessed
June 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Right at the base of your spine.

C.H.
June 23rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
For some BCL and TBL are the same because they have a low crack. For others it can be inches apart if they have a long crack.

Right, I think it depends on your anatomy--I am one of these people. My tailbone ends no more than an inch below where the crack starts, so for me BCL and TBL really are basically interchangeable. I think this explains why some people are confused by it.

But I've always thought hip was straightforward--when it touches your hip bone, it's hip. If you tried to measure it by the widest part of your hip then clearly you'd be somewhere between BCL and Classic.

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
that's one of my favorite cinematic scenes ever!

I love it when they are in the super market. My god, that Bella Banana song cracks me up every time.

Cracks. Bwahahaha!

Am I the only one totally loving the term "butt crack length?" I think that is my new goal!

Wanna come play with us other kids and pull fart jokes? :poot:

Right, I think it depends on your anatomy--I am one of these people. My tailbone ends no more than an inch below where the crack starts, so for me BCL and TBL really are basically interchangeable. I think this explains why some people are confused by it.

Good point.

Also thank you to the other confused people adding to this thread, so that I don't have to stand here feeling stupid and uneducated in the anatomy area.

My biology teacher never taught us anything about anatomy, such as the sceleton ur muscles. He did however demonstrate how a condom works when we had sex ed., by pulling it over a water tap. THAT I remember.

After this thread I will NEVER EVER forget where my tailbone is. Wake me up tonight and I'll tell it straight away.

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
My own definition is that tailbone length starts at the top of the cleft and continues to the end of the coccyx.

Right, so it'll be BSL all over again. ;)

Anje
June 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
And somewhere a little past Tailbone length is Fart Length, where your hair moves if you pass gas.

Spring
June 23rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
I hear you, pepperminttea! Also, looking for it (errr, well) isn't exactly... nice. :bigeyes: But I guess a good indicator is, if you find a bone, touch it and it feels really uncomfortable or hurts even, you've found your tailbone.

I will have to look no further.:tmi:

ooh, just found it. Good instructions. It does feel funny to press on it. Thank heavens for butt-fat.

....lol:rollin: cosign!

Okay, since we all are a bunch of teenagers here, let's not rename it. :poot:

.... I vote to rename it to vertical smile VSL :laugh: (cleft level would be CL and that's already taken)

Eolan
June 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
And somewhere a little past Tailbone length is Fart Length, where your hair moves if you pass gas.

Bwahahaha! I am seriously concidering changing my goal lenght to FL now.

.... I vote to rename it to vertical smile VSL :laugh: (cleft level would be CL and that's already taken)

I kind of like VSL too. It's very LHC somehow. Cleft lenght is also very good.

Spring
June 23rd, 2011, 02:18 PM

off topic

...the bolded is irritating :laugh:

okay back on topic :)

C.H.
June 23rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
The thing that gets me about BSL is that sometimes people don't even have bras that fit properly.

RitaPG
June 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
The thing that gets me about BSL is that sometimes people don't even have bras that fit properly.
I've seen that happen, some people have bras that fit so bad, that the place where the strap is supposed to be, is so high in the back that it sits at APL :thud:

It is fun, isn't it? I'm totally using that one once my hair gets there :p

So far this is the best I've heard. Have to remember to use it at least once :rollin:

Arya
June 23rd, 2011, 03:05 PM
See, I've always been confused about Tailbone vs Hip length. I was never quite sure where hip length was, because in sewing, your hip measurement is taken at the very widest part of your hips, about halfway down your butt. But some people here seemed to consider hip length to be at the top of your hip bones, a few inches past waist.
See that's different too. For me, the widest part of my hips *is* a few inches below my waist. I'm an apple shape, and don't carry any weight on my butt/hips. my butt is actually smaller than my hips. Ask me why I sew a lot of my own clothes XD. If I were to measure around my butt, I would have a waaay too tight section between my waist and butt that doesn't account for where I carry my weight.

it should be IFB length (improperly fitted bra length) or MBITB (my band is too big) length. I get seriously annoyed at this girl whose bra is up around her shoulder blades, calls her hair BSL and swishes it at me cos she thinks her hair is longer. My hair is a solid foot longer than hers.

C.H.
June 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
It should be IFB length (improperly fitted bra length) or MBITB (my band is too big) length. I get seriously annoyed at this girl whose bra is up around her shoulder blades, calls her hair BSL and swishes it at me cos she thinks her hair is longer. My hair is a solid foot longer than hers.

Hah! What's with people with shorter hair trying to assert their length at you?? This is not the first time I've heard of people doing this.

luxepiggy
June 23rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Some time ago, I made myself a little chart for reference. As you can see, I left the BCL line unlabeled because I couldn't think of a polite term for it (^(oo)^)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/lengths-chart-1.jpg

RitaPG
June 23rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Piggy, that's the prettiest chart I've ever seen. So cute ^^

McFearless
June 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM

Thats it, I've found my new goal!

pepperminttea
June 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
If I ever have a full medical, I am going to ask the doctor to point out where it is, seriously, because despite all the 'idiot's guide to locating your tailbone' posts, I really can't find it. Maybe my anatomy's just a bit odd. :shrug:

:spitting:

McFearless
June 23rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
If I ever have a full medical, I am going to ask the doctor to point out where it is, seriously, because despite all the 'idiot's guide to locating your tailbone' posts, I really can't find it. Maybe my anatomy's just a bit odd. :shrug:

Thing is, you've got to practically shove your fingers in your crack to see where it ends. Some things are best left unknown ;):p

pepperminttea
June 23rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Thing is, you've got to practically shove your fingers in your crack to see where it ends. Some things are best left unknown ;):p

Hmm. Maybe just straight from BCL to classic then... :o:p

In2wishin
June 23rd, 2011, 06:12 PM
I have always considered tailbone to be when the hair just touches the seat of a chair when you sit down. (I figure that your tailbone is pretty much sitting right on the chair)

McFearless
June 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
Hmm. Maybe just straight from BCL to classic then... :o:p

Lol same for me. :p

xoxophelia
June 23rd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Just wanted to add that some of us call BCL Butt Cleavage Length. :P

McFearless
June 23rd, 2011, 07:18 PM

Hey if we can have hair cleavage we can have butt cleavage. I'm liking this title.

Your avatar is adorable, btw.

sedonia
June 23rd, 2011, 09:47 PM
Saying "hip" is at the level of the hip bones is still kind of confusing to me. I think that what gets called the "hip bones" are the entire pelvic girdle, which goes down to the pubis. Personally, when I hear "hip" I think hip joint -- where the ball and socket of the hip is. That would be about where most people would call tailbone.

Tailbone...yeah. Its where the sun doesn't shine, even if you sunbathe in the nude. If you've ever injured it, you know where it is. What most people call tailbone is where the sacrum is (or the hip joint).

And one more bone to pick (pardon the pun). Brastrap length. I'm hereby petitioning to change it to bra band length. The straps of a bra go over your shoulders. The band goes around your torso.

Tea Lady
June 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM

I just spent about 5 minutes laughing about this, and how you put it in your status!

Tea Lady

ericthegreat
June 23rd, 2011, 09:58 PM

And to both these quotes my reaction is :rolling: :spitting: :rollin:!!!!!!!

Spring
June 23rd, 2011, 10:02 PM
Saying "hip" is at the level of the hip bones is still kind of confusing to me. I think that what gets called the "hip bones" are the entire pelvic girdle, which goes down to the pubis. Personally, when I hear "hip" I think hip joint -- where the ball and socket of the hip is. That would be about where most people would call tailbone.

Tailbone...yeah. Its where the sun doesn't shine, even if you sunbathe in the nude. If you've ever injured it, you know where it is. What most people call tailbone is where the sacrum is (or the hip joint).

And one more bone to pick (pardon the pun). Brastrap length. I'm hereby petitioning to change it to bra band length. The straps of a bra go over your shoulders. The band goes around your torso.

I thought we had an actual HBL "hip bone length" floating around somewhere out here in hairland.... but then that would be longer than TL, and 1-2 inches from CL.

McFearless
June 24th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I just spent about 5 minutes laughing about this, and how you put it in your status!

Tea Lady

:eyebrows: hehe

elbow chic
June 24th, 2011, 08:52 PM
omg. Fart length... ahahahahaha

BeautifulBlonde
June 24th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I will consider my hair "Jean Length" because I can reach around and feel the ends of my hair....not to mention they brush the top of my jeans. Keep in mind these are the "fine" ends so it can vary depending on the day. So on average "Lower Back" Length....between the bra (torturous things) and the jeans.

I will consider my hair "tailbone or otherwise when I realize I'm close to or AM sitting on it.

Mesmerise
June 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM

:spitting:

Some people have a more prominent tailbone than others ;) Mine is super super easy to find... I just have a really obvious coccyx though :p.

LaceyNg
June 25th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I always consider TBL to be where the tailbone ends. So it's actually somewhere between the crack. It, like every length, differs on everyone because we are all built different. For some BCL and TBL are the same because they have a low crack. For others it can be inches apart if they have a long crack.

I say call your goal length whatever you want and once you get there you get there!

But I've always thought hip was straightforward--when it touches your hip bone, it's hip. If you tried to measure it by the widest part of your hip then clearly you'd be somewhere between BCL and Classic.

this is me! my the bottom tailbone is right at my BCL. i always knew i didnt have much of a butt, i guess now I have proof :shake:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! i just get this image of a chik standin still, and then her hair moves in the "breeze" spontaneously. :p

:justy: i KNOW! thats's sooo irritating. and right after my irritation, i feel sorry for their unsupported boobs :no:

Eolan
June 26th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Oh HAI again, everyone!

I'm back from Midsummer festives.

So, back to business.

I've seen that happen, some people have bras that fit so bad, that the place where the strap is supposed to be, is so high in the back that it sits at APL :thud:

it should be IFB length (improperly fitted bra length) or MBITB (my band is too big) length. I get seriously annoyed at this girl whose bra is up around her shoulder blades, calls her hair BSL and swishes it at me cos she thinks her hair is longer. My hair is a solid foot longer than hers.

Come now, girls, we have to be nice to our sisters that are at Unfitted Bra Lenght. I can totally relate to the wonky bra thing. Sometimes it happens to me too, eventhough I am one of the few people I know who have actually had a proper bra fitting, with the help one of thoose boob experts that sells bras. Most girls don't even know what a difference a good bra makes. *pauses to think about song What a Difference a Day Makes, only with other lyrics* Anyway... Yes. Despite proper bra fitting, wonky bra still happens to me too, simply because, before I couldn't afford a good bra in my size. I just feel sorry for all the super squeezed or unsupported boobs out there. So what if they think their hair is longer than ours. :D

Some time ago, I made myself a little chart for reference. As you can see, I left the BCL line unlabeled because I couldn't think of a polite term for it (^(oo)^)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/lengths-chart-1.jpg

You are the cutest little piggy I have ever seen.

Have you found a good name for the unmarked line yet? There are a few suggestions in this thread. :)

I don't know you, but I think I love you.

In a galaxy far, far away...

Options are good. :)

Have they gotten the visual hair typing guide up yet? I hope it also covers the different hair lenghts, because we really need it!

And good, another language dictator! I'm not alone! :cheese:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! i just get this image of a chik standin still, and then her hair moves in the "breeze" spontaneously. :p

*pauses at visual image* Hahaha! Aaah! Love it!

Also love how this thread turned out. :D