PDA

View Full Version : Very pleased but oh so confused

Dizzy_zzz
June 22nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
Yesterday I only had a half day at school because I only had 1 final that day, so I went home. Because I was alone and bored I decided to make a mix of olive oil and rosemary EO (it usually makes my hair really soft, but smells oh. so. strong.) for my hair and left it on a couple of hours. I then washed it out with the shampoo that usually removes coconut or jojoba oil mixes.

Right. That was a complete failure. My hair when it was dried after was almost just as oily as when I had gone in the shower. So I left it like that over night. Next day I washed it, this time only with copious amounts of Aussie 3MM, and...WOW. All of the oil was gone--no remnants at all. It was super soft, too, and voluminous and you could actually sort of tell that my hair used to be curly. :cheese:

The thing is, how does conditioner do a better job of removing oils? Especially when it contains oil itself? I know conditioners have some surfactants, true, but surely less than what shampoos contain; so how is it that they removes oils much more readily? And, if they are so harsh as to remove oils (potentially) wouldn't they actually damage hair? :confused:

JadeTigress
June 22nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
It's a chemistry thing. Like dissolves like; oil dissolves oil. You'd think that slopping oil on your head when there's already oil there would be counterproductive, but it actually works out. That's why people have so much success with the oil cleansing method for their faces, because the oils they put on their face gets rid of the excess oil that their skin produces without leaving it stripped.

Dizzy_zzz
June 22nd, 2011, 09:27 PM
Oh! That makes sense. It would explain why the 3mm makes my hair oily when I use it on its own without oiling first. Thank you for the reply :D

JadeTigress
June 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
No problem. :)

I know that's the scientific reason why some of this stuff works, but sometimes I'm still skeptical about it, and then I'm in awe afterwards when I see that it did, in fact, work that way. :p

Mannaz
June 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
I agree with Jadetigress. Also, what could be a plus in getting them out might be because you tend to emulsify the conditioner a lot more than you would do the shampoo? At least I use a lot of time with it whenever I co.

littlenvy
June 23rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
The way I look at it is that conditioners have the two things that don't mix, oil and water. So in order to combine these two things and make sure they don't seperate after standing on a shelf for a time they have to use ingredients that bind oil and water. Those same ingredients will bind the oil on your hair to themselves and then to the water when rinsing and thus remove them. I think :p

RitaCeleste
June 23rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
I use honeysuckle rose as a leave in sometimes. Oddly if I over oil a little, I can add some honeysuckle rose, a little water and towel it off and no grease just fluff!