PDA

View Full Version : Hair now awesome!!!!

Amber_Maiden
June 22nd, 2011, 09:15 AM
I did a clarifying rinse and have discovered that I should stay away from protein. It was crunchy afterwards.... But also, after I did a moisturizing mask, it was amazing!!!! It was absolutely gorgeous: D I am now happy with my hair. I guess I just have to stay away from the protein.... What oils are protein and which aren't? Is avocado oil a protein, is Aragon? How often should I clarify my hair, since I just like to CO?

Thank you to everyone who helped me out!!! I appreciate it so so much!!!!!:D:D

Madora
June 22nd, 2011, 09:20 AM
That is wonderful news! Good for you!

spidermom
June 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Oil does not contain protein except in very trace amounts - like 1 grain of sand in a glass of water amounts.

Intransigentia
June 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Great news!

Oils are not protein. I wonder if you're making the connection in your mind because people often talk about protein and coconut oil? With coconut oil, it's been shown to protect hair from protein loss, so if your hair is already over-treated with protein, coconut oil can make it look worse. But if your hair isn't over-proteined, I don't think it's an issue.

I'd say, go ahead and try whatever oil you like, the worst that can happen is you could get greasy or sticky and need to deep-clean. I'd also recommend, start with whatever you already have in the kitchen, or is reasonably-priced at the grocery store, before splurging on fancy exotic stuff.

Regarding how often to clarify - do it whenever your hair feels like it needs it. No rules.

Amber_Maiden
June 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Great news!

Oils are not protein. I wonder if you're making the connection in your mind because people often talk about protein and coconut oil? With coconut oil, it's been shown to protect hair from protein loss, so if your hair is already over-treated with protein, coconut oil can make it look worse. But if your hair isn't over-proteined, I don't think it's an issue.

I'd say, go ahead and try whatever oil you like, the worst that can happen is you could get greasy or sticky and need to deep-clean. I'd also recommend, start with whatever you already have in the kitchen, or is reasonably-priced at the grocery store, before splurging on fancy exotic stuff.

Regarding how often to clarify - do it whenever your hair feels like it needs it. No rules.

Yes, I was making the protein connection with coconut oil, since I hear people talk about it so much. Thanks for clearing things up on that! :)

lacefrost
June 22nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Yay! I'm glad you figured out your hair! I remember how upset you were about your hair.

My hair hates protein too. It's already coarse and protein makes it coarser and sort of rough feeling. And my hair looooooves anything moisture-related. There's not such thing as too much moisture for my hair.

For extra moisture and shine, you may want to try rinsing out your treatments with cold water. I just hang my head in the shower and do it so only my hair gets wet. I find that it makes my strands smoother and my hair softer.

Also, dunno if you're interested in hennaing ever but my hair treats that as a protein treatment. I still love to henna but I try not to do it more than once ever 3 months or so.

monsterna
June 22nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Protein is the devil! :evil: For some people, at least! :D

gthlvrmx
June 22nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
I hear all this love and adore for coconut oil with the fine hair people a lot, not for me! Us coarser hair people don't need too much! Straw like feeling after too much.

monsterna
June 22nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
I hear all this love and adore for coconut oil with the fine hair people a lot, not for me! Us coarser hair people don't need too much! Straw like feeling after too much.

Same here!

bluesnowflake
June 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
This is kind of a stupid question, but how do you tell whether a hair product has protein in it? I know anything ending in -cone is a silicone, but is there an ending or a "giveaway" for protein ingredients?

luxepiggy
June 22nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Yay!! Worry not about your oils - they are a different category from proteins (^(oo)^)

luxepiggy
June 22nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
This is kind of a stupid question, but how do you tell whether a hair product has protein in it? I know anything ending in -cone is a silicone, but is there an ending or a "giveaway" for protein ingredients?

Most will contain the word hydrolyzed - other less common words to watch for include wheat, silk, soy, keratin, collagen, amino acid, and of course protein.

Alvrodul
June 23rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
So wonderful that you figured out what your hair has problems with! :D

Anje
June 23rd, 2011, 08:13 AM
Oil is fat. Protein is, well, protein. Think nutrition label here.

Amber_Maiden
June 30th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Yay! I'm glad you figured out your hair! I remember how upset you were about your hair.

My hair hates protein too. It's already coarse and protein makes it coarser and sort of rough feeling. And my hair looooooves anything moisture-related. There's not such thing as too much moisture for my hair.

For extra moisture and shine, you may want to try rinsing out your treatments with cold water. I just hang my head in the shower and do it so only my hair gets wet. I find that it makes my strands smoother and my hair softer.

Also, dunno if you're interested in hennaing ever but my hair treats that as a protein treatment. I still love to henna but I try not to do it more than once ever 3 months or so.

Good to know. I've been hennaing my hair every month, but I'm definitely going to cut back now!

Amber_Maiden
June 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Oil is fat. Protein is, well, protein. Think nutrition label here.

*Hits hand against forehead* Of course... gah... Don't know what I thinking there... lol:p

Darkhorse1
June 30th, 2011, 10:41 AM
My hair hates protein and it hated coconut oil---so I'm thinking I'm not losing protein in my hair.

Try olive oil--I found my hair loved that :)