PDA

View Full Version : Yerba Mate Tea vs. Rooibos Tea??

heatherbelle
June 22nd, 2011, 08:24 AM
I read the posts on here of the benefits some have noticed with the Rooibos Tea. I am wondering how that compares to the Yerba Mate Tea? I started drinking the yerba mate a few months ago when I was forced to give up coffee. I have done a little bit of research on its nutritional values and wonder how the two teas compare for healthy hair. Yerba mate has vitamins B-1, B-2, A, riboflavin, carotene, colin, pantothenic acid, inositol, 15 types of amino acids, iron, potassium and magnesium (some green teas lack this). I would LOVE to hear what the rest of you think about this :)

curlymarcia
June 22nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
I believe mate tea is really popular in Argentina. Agree the ingredients, mate sounds like a pro-hair tea, but I never have heard about a relation with hair from my argentinian friends. Anyway, you should try it (I'm not big fan of these tea flavor).

Where did you get the bombilla (pipe) for mate???

GALISH
June 22nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
I live in the land of yerba mate and I'm not very sure but I think all of us YB drinkers have experimented some nice hairgrowth

I think everyone should give it a try

Nightshade
June 22nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure if either gives a huge boost to hair growth, but they're both very tasty. Yerba Mate can produce a stimulating effect, not unlike caffeine, and Roobios is caffeine free. So I'd alternate depending on if you need the boost or not :twocents:

Rhea
June 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
For me and my health... I think Mate-Tea is better... but for hairgroth... I donīt know... :)

jojo
June 22nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Ive never heard of this tea but it sounds pretty healthy and has all the good stuff for hair growth too.

Red_Wednesday
June 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
DH drinks Yerba Mate daily, he prefers it to coffee. Not sure if it's helping his hair growth or not. He has an average time span between cuts, and he gets those cuts like clockwork. Also he's been drinking yerba mate for years, so I can't say that I know what his hair looked like before he started drinking it to make a comparison. Lastly, he keeps it very short. One thing I can say though, of the hair he does have on his roof top, he's got a lot of it. :)

jojo
June 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
I like lots of different teas so have found a site in the UK pretty cheap too
http://www.homeherbs.co.uk/0/product/0/39-Yerba_Mate.html?gclid=CLz_0J6WyqkCFVJX4QodfXrkNA the link if anybody is interested.

I must have 10 different types of teas in my tea cupboard!

jojo
June 22nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
just out of interest how does it compare in taste to rooibo? is it drank black or is it ok with milk?

I am going to get some on pay day as I love the sound of the healthy ingredients, plus I have cut down to one cup (from 10+) a day of coffee and this sounds the ideal substitute.

just found this interesting link http://www.mymateworld.com/yerba_mate_health_benefits.htm

BlazingHeart
June 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Jojo, if you're giving up coffee because of the caffeine, mate may not be a good replacement - it's still got caffeine (up to as much as a cup of brewed coffee, depending on the variety)

~Blaze

heatherbelle
June 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
just out of interest how does it compare in taste to rooibo? is it drank black or is it ok with milk?

I am going to get some on pay day as I love the sound of the healthy ingredients, plus I have cut down to one cup (from 10+) a day of coffee and this sounds the ideal substitute.

just found this interesting link http://www.mymateworld.com/yerba_mate_health_benefits.htm

Yerba Mate is a green color tea, I drink mine with a spoonful of honey. :)

heatherbelle
June 23rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Jojo, if you're giving up coffee because of the caffeine, mate may not be a good replacement - it's still got caffeine (up to as much as a cup of brewed coffee, depending on the variety)

~Blaze

I had to give up the coffee due to the acid not agreeing with my tummy :(. However, in my experience of switching from coffee (with the cream and sugar!) to the yerba mate was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The caffeine in the tea is enough for that perk up, but it is a steady caffeine buz that has no "crash" like coffee. The other benefit I got from witching is that I lost weight because I was no longer having those heavy calorie loaded cups of coffee every day! :cheese:

jojo
June 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM

~Blaze

yes i understand it has caffeine in apparently from what ive read it would take 8 cups of the tea to be equal to the amount of caffeine found in one cup of coffee. I can handle that:)

BlazingHeart
June 23rd, 2011, 10:43 AM
The amount of caffeine depends on the variety of mate you're drinking and what company it's from. It can have from 1/7 or 1/8 the caffeine of coffee to the same amount of caffeine, so be careful where you're buying.

http://guayaki.com/index.php?p=faq

~Blaze

renarok
June 23rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
I grew up drinking mate. My mother is from Chile and she has a beautiful bombilla and a gourd shaped cup that she uses. She uses a LOT of the leaves in the cup, refilling the cup with hot water as needed.

Yerba mate is a sentimental kind of drink for me. Also very delicious. It is a taste from my childhood, so it is ingrained in my being. I have tried to enjoy rooibos, but it isn't as satisfying for me.