PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp

erialc
June 22nd, 2011, 08:12 AM
My scalp is So itchy! I don't know what to do about it or what I'm doing wrong.

I CO wash since about 6 months, once or twice a week, but it's been itchy before that too, and trying different kinds of conditioners hasn't helped.
I don't use any oils.
I tried apple cider vinegar after washing it for a couple of weeks, but it didn't make a difference.
I don't have any visible dandruff but when I scratch my scalp my nails get filled with what I suppose is dead skin... it's not very nice.
I don't use any hair dye or any other strong chemical treatment.

Any idea of what I could do to make it better? It's really frustrating and annoying, this little issue.

Djinmonet
June 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
Perhaps some build up? Have you tried clarifying?
Or just using a shampoo (no conditioner), washing a few times, let dry, and see what happens with the scalp?
Other than that... I have read how Tea Tree Oil can help with many skin issues, you could add a few drops to the conditioner, or shampoo, in your palm during a wash.
Need to be careful to get a reputable, standardized Tee Tree Oil, or it is just pine smelling junk.:(
I wish you luck finding something that works, as this sounds rather frustrating.

cloud29
June 22nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Ill be watching this thread because I have been suffering from the same issue. I think its been bothering me for like 6 months or so but it definitely hasn't always been a problem.
I changed to a natural shampoo/conditioner a while back so Im thinking maybe I have an allergy to an ingredient in that. I then tried baking soda and acv but it didn't really help. So now Im doing WO and will see if that helps.
Also I moved to a new place with city water , which could be a chlorine related cause. So I just unstalled a shower filter and I let you know if that helps.
But like you, no dandruff or visible skin problems, just itchy.

Roscata
June 22nd, 2011, 09:42 AM
I'm sorry that you're dealing with this issue. I have been dealing with it for years. After reading the Dry, itchy scalp treatments (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=6) article I tried everything on there. What worked 95% for me has been tea tree essential oil and rosemary EO to the shampoo or to the final rinse. Massaging 50% Castor oil and 50% EVOO on my scalp and leaving it on overnight before washing also helped combined with an SLS-free shampoo, but only about 80%.

I say try some of those things until you find something that works for you.
Good luck! :)

IanB
June 22nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Perhaps a visit to the doctor just in case there is an underlying condition?

erialc
June 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Djinmonet: I have clarified every now and then, since I think the water here is very hard so I want to avoid build-up. I don't think it's made a difference, but on the other hand I never really paid attention to it since I'm so used to my scalp always itching. I shall try it out again, and pay closer attention!

cloud29: Sorry you have the same issues, but at least I'm not alone in my frustration then... :P When I lived in a big city I definitely noticed how the chlorine affected both my scalp and hair, so maybe you're right about that. Though I live in a big city now as well, just another one, so maybe my problems still are chlorine related... I'll keep you updated with my experiments too!

Roscato: Thanks for the advice! I'll check those out and hopefully I'll find something that works.

IanB: Yeah, you're probably right, maybe I should go check it out.

kouran
June 22nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
I also had really itchy scalp once. I discovered this was caused by SLS in the new shampoo I was using, and I have very sensitive and reactive skin. The itchiness was unbearable untill I put rhassoul on my scalp, and washed it with a natural shampoo with lavender. My dandruff also diminished noticeably. I hope this helps, and that you are okay as soon as possible.

KatiSasha
June 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
You mentioned the water being hard, clarifying won't get rid of the mineral buidup, have you tried chelating?

I had good results with baking soda + conditioner wash, ACV rinse and an SMT right after. It calmed my itchies :) Good luck!

erialc
June 22nd, 2011, 02:02 PM
You mentioned the water being hard, clarifying won't get rid of the mineral buidup, have you tried chelating?

I had good results with baking soda + conditioner wash, ACV rinse and an SMT right after. It calmed my itchies :) Good luck!

Oh, it won't? What exactly is chelating?

CaityBear
June 22nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
I get that if I'm inconsistent in washing my hair. If I go any longer than 3 days at max I get really itchy. I used to do overnight oilings once a week every week and that kept the itchies away...and the week that I missed my oiling, I was getting an itchy scalp a couple days later. I do use ACV to help with it. Dilute and spritz on scalp and let sit before washing.

Otherwise, the best thing to do is to be consistent with washing your hair.

Roscata
June 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Oh, it won't? What exactly is chelating?

Chelating is a way to remove mineral build-up in your hair. For example chlorine from pool water, or iron from hard water. You can just look for a shampoo that says "chelating" on it. I use a sulfate free one Itely Chelating Treatment Shampoo (http://www.amazon.com/Itely-Chelating-Treatment-Shampoo-10-14/dp/B003BKQY8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308774758&sr=8-1).

Roscato: Thanks for the advice! I'll check those out and hopefully I'll find something that works.

You're welcome! And I hope you do. :D

Djinmonet
June 22nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
Ah, yes, didn't realize you were dealing with hard water. The baking soda works for me, and in my experience definitely needs to be followed with an acid rinse, like vinegar.
I don't use conditioner, only shampoo bars, but I think it works as well to add the baking soda to conditioner. Or simply purchase a shampoo made to be chelating.
If this doesn't help, then I hope the tea tree oil, other oils, or the doctor will solve this. :flower:

BlazingHeart
June 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
I find that a chamomile tea bath can be soothing - I just brew a cup or two of tea, let it cool, and pour it on my head. Do be aware that it can slowly lighten your hair over time if you use it often.

~Blaze

gthlvrmx
June 22nd, 2011, 09:54 PM

Clarifying won't get rid of mineral build-up?

Roscata
June 22nd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Clarifying won't get rid of mineral build-up?

As far as I know clarifying will not get rid of mineral build-up, only chelating will.

Eire
June 22nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
I used to have itchy scalp and flakes that didn't resolve with CO washing. I stopped using products on my hair altogether. I do WO wash (see the water only thread for great info on this) and then follow up with an ACV rinse at the end. To clarify, I spritz on lemon water. I haven't had itches or flakes for months unless I go too long without washing.