PDA

View Full Version : Advice on ringlets?!

Honey39
June 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Hi there,

I hope this works, I tried to post yesterday and it deleted.

I am new to this site, but have been reading it for a few weeks now. I have shoulder length, thick frizzy hair (need to do the hair typing, I guess!).

Anyway, I've tried a few things here, and my hair adores the CO washing technique. My only problem is that I live in the UK, and I'm finding it really hard to find 'cone' free conditioner - the VO5 range sold here has cones. Hmmmm.

Secondly, I want to grow my hair long-ish, but also wear it down. I have had years of having to wear it up two days out of three because of the frizz factor, and I want to enjoy my hair. So I've found that if I CO wash it, half dry it on cold, and then twist it in to ringlets it just stays like that. It's quite pretty, and because it's twisted into large ringlets the top hair (canopy?) isn't dry and frizzed looking, it's all large smooth-ish ringlets. Does that sound like it's damaging my hair at all???? I've been putting oil on it, so it feels kind of supple. When I wear my hair loose to dry it, it curls into wild curls, but looks really really really dry and frizzy, and just not nice.

So I suppose my question is - does this sound like a fairly non-damaging way to wear my hair down? It does mean it's oiled, and I don't touch it with hands or brush because it's kind of in a style, and it reduces the massive 'triangle' I get if my hair is left loose.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I really appreciate it!! :)

nicolina
June 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Fellow Brit here! I also CO, and I'm using Boots essentials conditioner. It's like 70p for 500ml. I'm fairy sure it's no-cone, but it does have a few alcohols in it which aren't great:

Aqua, Cetyl alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Ceteareth-20, Paraffinum liquidum, Cetrimonium chloride, Quaternium-80, Dipropylene glycol, Parfum, Polyquaternium-7, Citric acid, Benzyl salisylate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Cl 42090

I also saw a recommendation on a thread here for the Asda own brand, but I haven't tried that one yet. (I haven't checked out pricier alternatives, being on a student budget.)

Hope that's useful.

Honey39
June 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Fellow Brit here! I also CO, and I'm using Boots essentials conditioner. It's like 70p for 500ml. I'm fairy sure it's no-cone, but it does have a few alcohols in it which aren't great:

Aqua, Cetyl alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Ceteareth-20, Paraffinum liquidum, Cetrimonium chloride, Quaternium-80, Dipropylene glycol, Parfum, Polyquaternium-7, Citric acid, Benzyl salisylate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Cl 42090

I also saw a recommendation on a thread here for the Asda own brand, but I haven't tried that one yet. (I haven't checked out pricier alternatives, being on a student budget.)

Hope that's useful.

Thank you so much - will check out the Boots range! I've been using the Tesco one, which is pretty good (and cheap), but I like to have loads of conditioners on the go at any one time, it seems to work better if I alternate.

Top tip: the Superdrug cheapie conditioner is AWFUL - it stings your eyes, which can't be good, huh???? lol.

Thanks again! :)

spidermom
June 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
I don't know anything about the conditioners available to you. I used to twist my hair into ringlets, and they would stay when it was shorter. Actually, it wasn't twisting as much as twirling strands of hair around and around my fingers. It's too long now, though. It's easier to get it to go straight, which I also love. (PS: the ringlets in my sig pic were done with warm electric rollers.)

Dulci
June 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
If you can make wet ringlets and they stay, that is great, not damaging at all. You might want to try making Skip Curls (http://www.glamortips.com/hair-guide/naturally-curly-hair-styles.php) too.

Honey39
June 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
If you can make wet ringlets and they stay, that is great, not damaging at all. You might want to try making Skip Curls (http://www.glamortips.com/hair-guide/naturally-curly-hair-styles.php) too.

Dulci, thanks for this tip! This sounds like it would be easy for my hair to do as well. I am amazed that, after 39 years of being convinced that my hair is straight and frizzy, with a wee bit of tweaking when it's damp, I can have curls that just stick!

There is something about the ringlets that seem to protect the hair though - because the fragile top layer which frizzes the most is wrapped around and kind of 'set'.

I'm trying to avoid curl product - I find that damp hair with oil on it just twists fairly easily. I do feel a bit...'Jane Austen' period drama with the ringlets, but I'm hoping that it will let my hair grow and still be able to wear down.

Thanks!!!

Lovely hair, btw.

Honey39
June 22nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
I don't know anything about the conditioners available to you. I used to twist my hair into ringlets, and they would stay when it was shorter. Actually, it wasn't twisting as much as twirling strands of hair around and around my fingers. It's too long now, though. It's easier to get it to go straight, which I also love. (PS: the ringlets in my sig pic were done with warm electric rollers.)

Hi Spidersmom,

I was admiring your hair and wondering if you used the same technique - it's a LITTLE bit like the ringlets I get (i.e. sort of half way down), but yours is a gazillion times prettier and non-frizzy than mine, and such a gorgeous colour!

I'll have to learn how to post pics and all that - it's a relief after YEARS of struggling with my hair to find somewhere that I can ask people for help! I love long hair, but mine feels so big and unruly that it's hard to manage.

Dulci
June 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Thank you! :flowers:

Yeah, I would avoid using product too, it sounds like you don't really need it. But the technique is fun to try.

ItalianFlower
June 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
My hair was EXACTLY like that for most of my life. However, once I started taking care of it, the curls came out on their own (boy was I surprised). My biggest piece of advice is to pick up the book Curly Girl. It is an ABSOLUTE hair/life saver, and it's cheap, too. It will at least give you something to start with.

And cones aren't necessarily the ultimate evil. Don't avoid them just because they're spoken of negatively from time to time--everyone's hair is different and some will respond stunningly to products that destroy the hair of others. If you do choose to use cones, just rememeber to clarify. :)

Honey39
June 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
My hair was EXACTLY like that for most of my life. However, once I started taking care of it, the curls came out on their own (boy was I surprised). My biggest piece of advice is to pick up the book Curly Girl. It is an ABSOLUTE hair/life saver, and it's cheap, too. It will at least give you something to start with.

And cones aren't necessarily the ultimate evil. Don't avoid them just because they're spoken of negatively from time to time--everyone's hair is different and some will respond stunningly to products that destroy the hair of others. If you do choose to use cones, just rememeber to clarify. :)

I should get the book then! I don't really have CURLY hair exactly, I have suggestible hair, lol. So if I twist it into a ringlet, it's going to stay in a ringlet. But if I leave it loose, I get this mass of waves which kind of looks insane and just too big. Like a short fat triangle!

I'm not really sure what clarifying means - does it just mean shampooing? And if so, any specific type of shampoo?? I've found that cone free conditioner lifts all oils from my hair, but also leaves me with a big halo of short hairs sprouting out. I mean, it's good to know my hair is growing all over, but it doesn't lie flat. Ever. Sigh.

The thing is, I can get my hair to look pretty good by straightening it, but that's not a long-term solution, because it just spoils the hair. And I just don't like my hair in an 'updo', as it makes my face look fat - I just love the feeling of hair around my face and shoulders.

Sorry, feel like I've opened the flood gates here into talking obsessively about my hair, lol!