PDA

View Full Version : Self-Trimming Success and How Far Until Hip Length?

MissManda
June 21st, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hi there!

After ten months' worth of self-trimming to even up my hemline and get rid of my old layers/bangs meant for a SL-APL haircut, my journey to better ends is finally coming to a close!

When my hair had managed to survive long enough to reach waist length around the beginning of last summer, I decided that it was time to start getting rid of the icky layers (not that the layers themselves were bad, they were just very damaged), thinning, and chemical damage. My ends were unmeasurably thin, made my braid taper horribly, and made my hair look thinner than it actually is. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with fairytale ends because I think they look beautiful, but they do not suit my hair type. I was just feeling very depressed that my hair was not at its full potential, is all.

This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=73198) was taken last May. I don't have a lot of really good pictures that show how my ends fairytaled into nothing, but you can see them fade out near the end. The longest part of my hair actually reached the middle of my blouse's waistband (near the bottom of the photo just above my elbow), but they were so thin that even my DF's really nice camera couldn't show them. You can also see the grown out layering pretty well, too.

You can't even see my spaghetti ends in this photo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=74402). :(

By the time August 2010 came around, my hair was about halfway to hip length or so, but the dry weather was taking its toll on my already damaged hair and it was just plain nasty. I got fed up with how awful my ends looked and bought my first pair of hair scissors. After lots of procrastinating and mustering up a lot of courage, I followed Feye's self-trim instructions for the soft U-shaped hemline. I trimmed off as much of the fairytale ends as I could all the way back to waist length.

Here are the results (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=80993) of my very first self-trim. Sorry for the bad quality; my cell phone is horrible with detail. You can kinda see that I still have quite a few shorter layers left, though.

I was so amazed that I had actually trimmed my hair by myself! It was a very empowering experience that encouraged me to keep trimming to reach my goal. There were times when I got very frustrated with my layers and did a couple of big 1.5-2" trims (one in February and another in April/May) between smaller 0.25-0.5" microtrims, but even though I could have been at hip length by now, getting my ends to thicken was totally worth the sacrifices.

My hair has been yo-yoing between waist and almost hip length (the longest it got was about 29.5-30") for about a year now and I thought it was high-time for a visual. I can measure and look in the mirror all I like, but it's useful to have some photographic evidence. ;)

Are you ready?

I now present to you my hemline as of yesterday! I trimmed from ~28" to ~27.75". A good amount of the layers and thinning are gone and I won't need many more trims before they're gone entirely. When I put an elastic at ~2" from the very ends of my hair and measure, I get 2.6"/2 5/8" measured snugly.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=105880

And no, my hemline isn't actually that uneven IRL. I wear my hair parted on my left, so I have more hair on the right side. I've already gone back and evened out the stray hairs, so they aren't there anymore, either.

I can't get any full-length shots as of right now, unfortunately, but I promise I will have some by the time my LHC Anniversary comes around in August. :D

Now it is time for braid comparison pictures! I have this obsession to one day have a Tailbone-length braid that has no taper so I take way more progress shots of braids than I do length.

Here is my braid from July 2010 before I started self-trimming. Again, sorry about the blurriness. :o Stupid cell phone camera...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=78656

And here is my braid as of June 2011 (yesterday).
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=105895

Keep in mind that my hair is the approximately the same length, no more than an inch's difference in length when loose.

Now that my hair seems to be in a much happier state, I'm going to reduce my trim frequency to every other month or more. Even though I still have some layering left, I think that I am satisfied with my hemline's thickness and want to actually gain some length sometime this year!

This photo shows how far my hair is from Hip, AKA the very bottom of my shirt. How much further do I have to grow to get there, do you all think?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3936&pictureid=105879

So as you can see, my patience and to some extent my lack thereof, has really paid off. :D I think I'm going to get my DF to take some nice new length photos when I reach Hip length, which will be pretty soon because I'm lucky enough to have the growth rate of a weed. I couldn't be more satisfied with my hair right now!

Just thought I'd share. ^_^

BlazingHeart
June 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM
Your hemline has definitely grown in nicely with those trims! Congrats!

Sundial
June 21st, 2011, 11:09 PM
Your hemline looks better and the trims were definitely worth it :thumbsup: looks like you have about 2.5-3" to go so that means you should get there by the end of the year if you have average monthly growth of 0.5" and you go without trimming. With your trimming frequency and amount, you could get there within the first quarter of next year

ericthegreat
June 22nd, 2011, 12:08 AM
Your now enviably thick hemline speaks for itself! You made the right decisions with your well timed self-trims. To have thick, healthy ends is well worth the sacrifice of a few inches of length. And even with your frequent trims, you have still reached all the way down to waist length, so you have a pretty fast growth rate MissManda. :) Congratulations on your progress!

pixiestar
June 22nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
Your hem line looks nice an thick now:D The self trims have definitely been worth it.
I think maybe 3inches till hip:D

ifthemoonsmiled
June 22nd, 2011, 01:19 AM
What a difference! It looks really beautiful & healthy now.

krissykins
June 22nd, 2011, 01:29 AM
It looks great! :D good job!

Dragon
June 22nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
Looks great :) What a difference.

Avital88
June 22nd, 2011, 01:43 AM
Oh wow!! this is a very good result!I was quite happy with mine, until i used a boxdye(i'm an idiot for doing that)after 8months..now the last 2 inch of hair is ruined again,i was almost at tailbone grr.
I'm doing a henna application tonight,hopefully that will save my ends while i'm in the middle east until mid July.
You have really inspired me by showing this pictures, it quite a hemline to envy.and hopefully if i start doing microtrims again in July,i will have some results like you next summer.
Happy growing to hip! with fabulous ends you will be there in no time..

bunzfan
June 22nd, 2011, 02:55 AM
As i've already said your hair is beautiful and i love that hemline:crush: i think after my no trim is up i may try the u shape.

jojo
June 22nd, 2011, 07:10 AM
Your making me want to try the U hemline too. Id say you have about 4" until hip so next February if you grow 0.5" a month and dont trim. Your about the same as me, takes forever or seems to, to reach hips!

elbow chic
June 22nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Very nice! I agree, self-trimming is totally working for you.

lacefrost
June 22nd, 2011, 09:39 AM
Good job! Your hair looks so happy now!

Cowgirl16
June 22nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Your hair looks great!

charalito
June 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
What a great thick hemline, congratulations! Your hair looks lovely and healthy.

Spring
June 22nd, 2011, 01:48 PM
It is amazing the difference trimming can make! Your hair is absolutely beautiful :)!

Sadie
March 12th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Too bad the pics are no longer available... I would have loved to see the results. Currently micro trimming as well but need motivation :sad

lapushka
March 12th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Too bad the pics are no longer available... I would have loved to see the results. Currently micro trimming as well but need motivation :sad

I get "invalid" album specified, or something to that effect.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 5th, 2018, 05:21 AM
Maybe she removed the pictures, I was hoping to see them. I love looking at before and after photos of microtrimming progress.

Dark40
January 8th, 2018, 05:10 PM
I get the same message that lapushka is getting.