PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine helps curls?

Springlets
June 21st, 2011, 03:37 PM
My hair is normally 3a/3b but because it has been very damaged from dye, it is about 2c right now. However, when I went into my dad's chlorinated pool for a few hours the other day and let it dry without washing or adding any other product, it gave me wonderful 3a curls again. I always hear about how damaging pools are for hair, how come it made mine better? Since then I've washed my hair in my normal co-washing way and it's back to 2c. :(

KittyLost
June 22nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure why it happens but I know you can get salt water spray and that helps curls form too.

Springlets
June 22nd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Ooh I do still have some epsom salt from when I used to make FSG. Should I just mix that in with some water for a spray?

TinaDenali
June 22nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
Ooh I do still have some epsom salt from when I used to make FSG. Should I just mix that in with some water for a spray?

I wouldn't use epsom salt. I'd use specifically labeled sea salt - Celtic sea salt is best. Epsom salts are quite different from sea salt. ;)

ghilliegirl_an
June 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Did you CO wash after coming out of the pool? I would guess that the chlorine simply washed out the conditioner you've been using and so your hair wasn't being weighed down as much, maybe you should look into using a lighter conditioner for your hair. I know certain conditioners weigh down my hair to look more wavy but I wear my hair with bun waves so I don't mind that.

-Ashley

pepperminttea
June 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
I find my hair's curlier chlorinated too, nearer a 2B/C; but it goes as soon as I wash my hair afterwards. :(

Helix
June 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Hmm...I do not know...but I'm heading out to the pool to test this theory (Any excuse to go swimming). It's hot as Hades over here.

Will report back with the results.

YesitsReal
June 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
The exact same thing happened to me the other day! My hair felt kinda like hay, but at least it was curly!! :D

MoonlightShadow
June 22nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
i thought chlorine was bad for hair :(

Helix
June 22nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
i thought chlorine was bad for hair :(

I'm pretty sure it is bad for hair (even so, I'm still going swimming). She's just saying it brought out her natural curls more.

spidermom
June 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Chlorine is pretty bad for hair. My guess is that CO washing is leaving residues that weigh down your hair. Try a conditioner-wash-vinegar rinse.

YesitsReal
June 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Oh, it is bad for your hair, yes. But it was a one-time thing, and I used a chelating shampoo followed by a deep conditioner ASAP.

GRU
June 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Epsom salt (also known as magnesium sulfate) is an ingredient in lots of hair-care products. Even though it's not a sodium-salt like sea-water, it does encourage curls.

Springlets
June 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Epsom salt (also known as magnesium sulfate) is an ingredient in lots of hair-care products. Even though it's not a sodium-salt like sea-water, it does encourage curls.

Yup. Although I think I'll do an experiment with a salt water spray and a epsom salt spray and see which encourages curl more.

I figure there must be some correlation between salt water and chlorinated water- both have some level of sodium? (well obviously the salt water will) Because when I go to the beach the salt water brings out more curls for me too.

As for the co-washing whether I've been using too heavy of a conditioner, I only use Suave Naturals which I think is considered a very light conditioner. But I think I needed to switch up on my grooming products so I stopped using a gel spray and went back to my original Herbal Essences gel/mousse combo and defined my curls a lot more.

But I think after this experience I'll add a little salt to that combo.

Helix
June 22nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
Welp, I'm back from my little dip in the pool. All I have to say is thank my lucky stars my hair is in twists right now. My hair tried so hard to shrink back, lol (they're hanging at the base of my neck now). Clawd hammercy, had my hair been loose it would have been tangle city I'd imagine - ah, but it's nothing a little conditioner can't fix. Glad it works for you though.

I don't think chlorine on it's own is a salt...more like a halogen? (don't quote me on that though, I haven't taken chem in a minute). Although when combined with sodium it does create a salt (NaCl).

JadeTigress
June 22nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
This happens to me, too, and I don't even have curly hair to start with. Heck, I can't even call my hair wavy. But whenever I go swimming, I get waves and curls, especially the shorter pieces around my face and at the nape of my neck. I'll get ringlets in those spots. And I can't blame it on conditioner build up, because up until a couple months ago I never used conditioner, or any other products that would weigh my hair down. Just shampoo.

Dars
June 22nd, 2011, 11:29 PM
In my experience damaged hair (depending on hair type) is curlier, although not always. I've had more wavy hair than curly up until 15ish years of age. Then I started damaging it and it became 3a now it's gone down to 2c/3a. The more moisturised my hair is the less curlier it is, whereas dryness promotes curliness for me.

Springlets
June 23rd, 2011, 12:25 AM
In my experience damaged hair (depending on hair type) is curlier, although not always. I've had more wavy hair than curly up until 15ish years of age. Then I started damaging it and it became 3a now it's gone down to 2c/3a. The more moisturised my hair is the less curlier it is, whereas dryness promotes curliness for me.

Interesting, but I don't think that's the case with me. Damaged/dry hair definitely means straighter hair for me. When I first started curly girl method (no shampoo, lots of conditioner) it brought my hair back to 3a/3b, and it's only because I dyed it a bunch the last few months (trying to get to my natural so I can grow out) that it became less curly again.

But I think you could be right that for different hair types, more or less moisture brings out curls.

Mesmerise
June 23rd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Interesting, but I don't think that's the case with me. Damaged/dry hair definitely means straighter hair for me. When I first started curly girl method (no shampoo, lots of conditioner) it brought my hair back to 3a/3b, and it's only because I dyed it a bunch the last few months (trying to get to my natural so I can grow out) that it became less curly again.

But I think you could be right that for different hair types, more or less moisture brings out curls.

I'm finding that with better care my hair is appearing curlier now than it used to be too. It could, however, be my imagination lol. I've been doing CO for two months, only washing with a chelating shampoo once a month. I've also been using henna which has been reported to straighten hair, but mine doesn't seem straightened by it at all. To be honest, I couldn't decide whether I wanted straighter or curlier hair. I just wanted hair that's more even in whatever it does lol.

Chlorine kinda makes hair clumpier together... but also, I'm sure Chlorine isn't the only thing in the water. Obviously when it's added, it's added in some sort of salt form, asyou can't add pure chlorine, which is a gas in its native state! So whether it's a salt pool with sodium chloride, or some other sort of chloride, it IS added in the form of some kind of salt.

Springlets
June 23rd, 2011, 01:34 AM
I just wanted hair that's more even in whatever it does lol.

Oh I hear you on that. That's what makes me so frustrated about damaged hair is that some pieces will start off as great ringlets and then the last few inches are straight or very strangley turned. But even when my hair is healthy, there are still days when some parts of my hair don't want to cooperate with the rest. Oh hair. :o

Chlorine kinda makes hair clumpier together... but also, I'm sure Chlorine isn't the only thing in the water. Obviously when it's added, it's added in some sort of salt form, asyou can't add pure chlorine, which is a gas in its native state! So whether it's a salt pool with sodium chloride, or some other sort of chloride, it IS added in the form of some kind of salt.

This is what I think. It had to do something with the salt. I experimented with both salt water and epsom salt sprays on my hair today and both worked equally well to bring out more curl in my hair than I've had usually- with basically the same results as I got from the pool. And I'm sure that will be much healthier than added chlorine to my hair! :eyebrows:

Athena's Owl
June 23rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
My local pool is salt water. I don't swim often because my hair is an issue, but I will swim there, and my curls come out like BOING afterwards.

You can sort of duplicate this by dissolving epsom salt in water, I've heard, but I don't have a recipe. I might do some experimenting. Currently I'm refreshing my curls with a cup of water and a teaspoon of gel in a spritzer, shaken up to blend the gel in, and that's been working out great so far. Perks up second day curls, at any rate!

Sunshineliz
July 8th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Sorry in advance about pic size.:o
I'm glad I found this thread because I was searching for an answer! I've been working with DD5's hair to bring out waves and curl and it's been doing much better with CO washing and AVG. But when we went swimming the other day and it mostly dried before I could wash it--spirals everywhere! I had to take pics to document the difference!

For reference, her 2c hair before:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=107379

Then still slightly damp swimming hair:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=107377http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7617&pictureid=107170

It's hard to see because her hair is so dark and the flash is making weird shadows, but trust me that most of those are loose spirals--you can see them better from the side (and she's just playing with air pressure and a goggle eyepiece;))

Unfortunately it also caused more frizz.:(

So it sounds like it's salt that does it.

Perhaps I could try a salt spray occasionally. I just read an old archived thread that it can be very drying, but effective at bringing out curls. http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12150
So if I salt-spray it'd have to be not often I guess, and I'm not sure how to avoid the frizz. Hmm, perhaps I should see what it does to me too?:) I'm not as wavy/curly as she is though.

(Don't worry, she doesn't really mind the experiments on her--as long as they don't interfere with playtime!;))

ETA: I love your hair Springlets--I hope you figure out the curl issues.

chahuahuas
July 8th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Springlets, I think you're on the right track with the salt water.

One question though: how much conditioner do you leave in your hair? I know the CG method suggests leaving lots in your hair, which I do and it usually prevents my curls from becoming dry and tangly. I've noticed recently though that if I go overboard with the conditioner, it can really weigh my curls down... Maybe if you left less conditioner in (or none), it would help your curls as well?

Red_Rose
July 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Agreed. Many people with curly hair who make their own hair gels sometimes add Epsom salts to give more definition to their curls. I'll be giving this a try the next time I have to make a new batch of flaxseed gel.

Not to mention that I don't think there really would be much difference between using just sea salt water or magnesium sulfate because sea water is naturally hard(about medium hard, actually) which would explain why curly hair can become more curlier after swimming in the ocean. Sea salts is not just salt but a combination of salt, calcium and magnesium so that must be taken into consideration here and not just assume that it's the salt and nothing else.

Perhaps the OP went swimming in a pool that was filled with hard water? I would explain the added curl.

Interesting, isn't it? It makes a person wonder if hard water is actually better for curly hair because of the magnesium sulfate. lol

Springlets
July 8th, 2011, 01:44 PM
ETA: I love your hair Springlets--I hope you figure out the curl issues.

Thank you! And thank you for posting pictures of your daughter's hair, I can definitely see the difference.

Springlets, I think you're on the right track with the salt water.

One question though: how much conditioner do you leave in your hair? I know the CG method suggests leaving lots in your hair, which I do and it usually prevents my curls from becoming dry and tangly. I've noticed recently though that if I go overboard with the conditioner, it can really weigh my curls down... Maybe if you left less conditioner in (or none), it would help your curls as well?

I am trying to find that balance yes. Because it's summer it seems that my hair needs more moisture than it did in the winter. I definitely don't think I need as heavy a conditioner as they suggest in the CG method, especially because my hair is fine. But I think my hair would feel like straw if I didn't use any. :)

I haven't been in a chlorinated pool since that time, but my curls have come back with just my regular routine now which makes me happy. I think they just needed more recovery time from all the hair dye to return. Still, I think it is still true that whatever it is in pools and oceans brings out your curls more (usually the frizzies too). Oh and I did try using some epsom salt in my gel/mousse combo and it did seem to bring my curls out more, but also dried it out considerably so I agree that you should use it every once and awhile or very minimally.

chahuahuas
July 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I might have said that in a weird way. I meant "The CG method says not to rinse out all of the conditioner from your hair at the end of your shower. Maybe if you rinsed out more conditioner than you usually do, or even rinsed out all of the conditioner out of your hair at the end of your shower" I didn't mean not to use conditioner at all, haha. I don't know if it sounded that way...

Springlets
July 8th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I might have said that in a weird way. I meant "The CG method says not to rinse out all of the conditioner from your hair at the end of your shower. Maybe if you rinsed out more conditioner than you usually do, or even rinsed out all of the conditioner out of your hair at the end of your shower" I didn't mean not to use conditioner at all, haha. I don't know if it sounded that way...

Oh lol, gotcha. I know some people here don't use conditioner at all so I thought that's what you meant. You are right though that I do sometimes leave in quite a bit of conditioner still. I'm going to try different things. Thanks! :)

Mrspuddinhead
July 9th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I don't have curly hair but I thought I would share something interesting. The other day I took the kids to the pool at about 9:00 pm, 10:00 pm by the time we got home. It was late, I was tired and I didn't feel like messing with my hair...... so I put it in a single Dutch braid and the next day when I took the braid out I had the most beautiful, soft, braid waves I'd ever seen. My husband commented on how bouncy, beautiful, and full my hair looked. It totally made my day. Any who.... I don't know if it was the chlorine or what but I loved the effects.