PDA

View Full Version : SMT questions

WaitingSoLong
June 21st, 2011, 07:27 AM
Snowy's Fave Moisture Treatment :inlove:
1 part Fave conditioner (must be moisture), mine is VO5-Sun Kissed Raspberry.
1/4 part honey
1/4 part clear aloe vera gel (I use Fruit of the Earth).

Ok, I pasted the SMT recipe above. I part, then 1/4 part? Does this mean 2 parts conditioner and 1 part each honey and aloe?

Also, do I need to clarify before doing an SMT if I am a cone user?

excentricat
June 21st, 2011, 07:34 AM
I would assume it means 1 part honey, 1 part aloe, and 4 parts conditioner as a ratio recipe.
For example, you might use 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup aloe, and 1 cup (4 X 1/4 cups) conditioner which makes 1 1/2 cups SMT.

KatiSasha
June 21st, 2011, 07:36 AM
It's the same as 4 parts CO and 1 part honey and 1 part aloe. My best experience before going off cones was to clarify with BS in my conditioner as a wash, then put SMT on for about an hour, then do a ACV rinse. My hair was incredibly smooth for a long time. I stopped using cones right after.

Anje
June 21st, 2011, 07:39 AM
Yes... Take "part" to mean "unit". Really, when these things are written, it should be with whole units only, but not everyone does that.... :shrug:

Quarter cups make for a good unit, or 1 fl. oz measures for thinner hair. How much you go through also depends on whether you apply the mix to damp or dry hair.

Sundial
June 21st, 2011, 07:46 AM
Like what the other posters said, it's 4 parts conditioner : 1 part aloe : 1 part honey

And it's best to clarify before you start the SMT if you have been using coney conditioners before since there may be a layer of build up

WaitingSoLong
June 21st, 2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks everyone! Sad part is, I have made a batch of SMT before and don't recall having trouble with the ratios.

I don't plan to go off cones. But I figure they would inhibit a the SMT from doing its moisture job.

Jcv-Shelley
June 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM
I think of it like this:

Have the same amount of Aloe Vera and Honey

And then for the conditioner x4 the amount of either the Aloe Vera or the Honey

As for clarifying:
I wouldn't think so unless it's some really bad build-up.

pepperminttea
June 21st, 2011, 11:38 AM
Like what the other posters said, it's 4 parts conditioner : 1 part aloe : 1 part honey

And it's best to clarify before you start the SMT if you have been using coney conditioners before since there may be a layer of build up

Ditto. I find a tablespoon and a half each of honey and aloe vera, with six tablespoons of conditioner, is just about right for my hair. :)

WaitingSoLong
June 22nd, 2011, 08:03 AM
I didn't do exact measurements, I just gauged it by how full the bottle is. I wrote it down this time so next time I am not confused again. I swear some times I cannot figure out the simplest things.