PDA

View Full Version : washing baby oil out?

Luna12345
June 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I actually applied baby oil to my hair when it was damp yesterday because a friend of mine told me she does this all the time. her hair looks pretty goos so I wanted to try. I washed my hair with a sulfate free clarifying shampoo made with ACV. Is this good enough to wash it out or do I need to use sulfates?

stargazer028
June 20th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Ive never put baby oil in my hair before but I have used coconut oil, I do think coconut oil or jojoba oil would be better for your hair though ... I usually leave it in overnight and wash it out in the morning with normal shampoo and conditioner :)

stargazer028
June 20th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Heres a link you might want to look at http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip000453.htm

IanB
June 21st, 2011, 01:10 AM
I use a sulphate free shampoo which certainly washes out an overnight soaking of coconut oil, so I would think it would also clear the baby oil.

darklion
June 21st, 2011, 01:14 AM
I just went through this one.
It took a couple of washes with a sulfate based shampoo to remove all the mineral oil
(my dog and I got tar in our hair!!)

Gypsygirl
June 21st, 2011, 01:33 AM
Remember your school days? Oil dissolves oil...which is why conditioner works much better than harsh shampoos when it comes to getting oil out of your hair. :)

Neneka
June 21st, 2011, 05:01 AM
Hmm. Your baby oil is liquid paraffin? I used it once ort twice but I heard that it tends to build up, it's worse than silicone. I have heard in hair forums that it doesn't really moisturize hair at all. I recommend using some other oils. :flower:

Scarlet_Heart
June 21st, 2011, 05:12 AM
I would stay away from baby oil. It's mineral oil and fragrance. Mineral oil is supposed to by very drying on hair.

Gypsygirl
June 21st, 2011, 05:15 AM
It really depends on the brand, though- the baby oil I use on my daughter consists of almond oil, bisabolol and vitamin E. No mineral oil in there.

Mirsha
June 21st, 2011, 05:32 AM
Hmm. Your baby oil is liquid paraffin? I used it once ort twice but I heard that it tends to build up, it's worse than silicone. I have heard in hair forums that it doesn't really moisturize hair at all. I recommend using some other oils. :flower:

I would stay away from baby oil. It's mineral oil and fragrance. Mineral oil is supposed to by very drying on hair.

I don't think OP's friend is using the oil for moisturizing purposes, more for the silicone effect (shine and smoothing). There are actually very little oils that penetrate the hair to provide actual moisturizing..

My current conditioner is rife with parrafin and I haven't noticed a single bad thing about it.

Oksana
June 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Most definitely back up the conditioner option, between every wash i saturate my ends in coconut oil and conditioner removes the excess brilliantly :)

jojo
June 21st, 2011, 08:49 AM
Some peoples hair likes mineral oil and as long as you clarify every now and again its ok but use conditioner no wetting first and massage it in leave for 5 minutes and rinse, that should stop greasy hair. you can use shampoo as long as gain you dont add water first but this will undo the good oil has given your hair.