PDA

View Full Version : Blonde to red with semi-permanent color?

Lilli
June 20th, 2011, 07:24 PM
First, no lectures about the unnaturalness of semi-permanent hair color b/c I do NOT want permanent henna.

I would like to try red or strawberry blonde, temporarily. I see semi-permanent colors that claim they last for 4 weeks. You can see the natural color of my hair in my album. My hair is undamaged.

Could I get red? Would it really wash out in 4 weeks? Would it leave a tinge? Would red be a bad idea with my skin color? Any brands you like (USA)?

Thank you so much if you share your opinion.

KittyLost
June 21st, 2011, 03:48 AM
I would suggest veggie dyes such as Manic Panic/SFX/Directions/Punky Colour etc like Spidermom uses to achieve her lovely violet streaks you'll see in her signiture. They're none damaging (conditioning) and fade out over time. You could try a red or coppery colour and you wouldn't need to lighten your hair. It's a fun way to change up your hair colour without a lot of commitment. Since your hair is undamaged it should fade out quicker than if your hair was more porous too.

You could also check out Rini's helpful thread she put together about hair dye with no damage some of them are semi-permanents. http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72129

Vorvolaka
June 21st, 2011, 05:00 AM
Speaking from experience, I wouldn't use something designed to last more than 6-8 washes. Longer semi colours often contain peroxide which lightens your hair colour just a wee bit so the colour lasts longer. Unfortunately, going from blonde to red even with a semi can end up being permanent because there is such a big colour change. I learned the hard way, my album pics show red hair that was dyed using a semi-permanent colour in November and it's still red.

Lilli
June 21st, 2011, 06:30 AM
Speaking from experience, I wouldn't use something designed to last more than 6-8 washes. Longer semi colours often contain peroxide which lightens your hair colour just a wee bit so the colour lasts longer. Unfortunately, going from blonde to red even with a semi can end up being permanent because there is such a big colour change. I learned the hard way, my album pics show red hair that was dyed using a semi-permanent colour in November and it's still red.

What color were you before?

schweedie
June 21st, 2011, 06:57 AM
I'll second what Vorvolaka said.

It also has to do with the porosity of your hair. I decided to try a semi-permanent red colour several years ago, one of those that was supposed to wash out in eight washes or so - but it never did. My hair, it turned out, absorbs colour very easily and likes to hold onto it, and the result was that I had to walk around with an orangey-pinkish colour for a whole lot longer than planned. I actually think I ended up colouring over it with a darker colour - which never washed out, either, but at least it was brown and not pink carrot.

Phexlyn
June 21st, 2011, 07:31 AM

It also has to do with the porosity of your hair. I decided to try a semi-permanent red colour several years ago, one of those that was supposed to wash out in eight washes or so - but it never did. My hair, it turned out, absorbs colour very easily and likes to hold onto it, and the result was that I had to walk around with an orangey-pinkish colour for a whole lot longer than planned. I actually think I ended up colouring over it with a darker colour - which never washed out, either, but at least it was brown and not pink carrot.

This happened to me as well with a semi-permanent that was supposed to wash out after 6-8 weeks. Instead it turned a nasty pale purplish red which didn't suit me at all. Sometimes you can get coloured styling mousse/product which only lasts until the next wash (I remember I had a brown one once), maybe that's an alternative? For me it washed out after 2 shampooings or so.

Vorvolaka
June 21st, 2011, 11:15 AM
What color were you before?

Dark blonde.

Haha, yes, this happens to me too. I plan to only ever colour the tips when I get rid of this red. At least it'll be easy to remove!

Lilli
June 22nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Well, thank you all for effectively talking me out of this! As I have no idea of the relative porosity of my hair, I will leave it alone.

knoxkatie
June 22nd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Have you considered Elumen? Here is the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5594). It is non-damaging color that lasts 3-4 weeks. They have so many different colors and it is really easy to use, but a little expensive.

They also have a product called "Return" that is supposed to remove the color if you don't like it, though I haven't used it.