PDA

View Full Version : 2b/2c hair giving me a hard time

ellen732
June 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I have searched for information and lurked on other 2b/2c member's profiles in order to find some tried and true remedy for my big, poofy, wavy, curly, spirally, and sometimes frizzy summer hair. It is freshly trimmed, oiled a couple times a week, CO washed, sometimes cones, sometimes no cones for conditioning and leave in, and all I do is where it up because it is dreadful down at this point, mostly due to humidity but partly due to its texture. I cannot wait until October when I love my hair again. Does anyone else hate their hair June through September?

long&blonde
June 20th, 2011, 05:51 PM
It's as if you are describing how I feel! 2c hair.

alyanna
June 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I can so relate.

In the winter, my hair is 2a/2b, ie. just ever so slightly wavy with really straight ends. In the summer, it's a 3b! Full-on corkscrews all over.

I've been trying to treat it accordingly, so when it's hot and humid, the best thing is to follow the curly girl method. Basically, detangle with conditioner in the shower and then do not touch AT ALL. I just let it be, and it actually can look pretty cute.

In the winter, I brush with boar bristles, detangle a couple of times a day and generally treat it like you would straight hair.

ellen732
June 20th, 2011, 05:55 PM
It's as if you are describing how I feel! 2c hair.

I really like my hair throughout the winter, it's just the warmer months that make me not like it so much. Sometimes I think it is going to air dry relatively behaved, but then it poofs.

ellen732
June 20th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I can so relate.

In the winter, my hair is 2a/2b, ie. just ever so slightly wavy with really straight ends. In the summer, it's a 3b! Full-on corkscrews all over.

I've been trying to treat it accordingly, so when it's hot and humid, the best thing is to follow the curly girl method. Basically, detangle with conditioner in the shower and then do not touch AT ALL. I just let it be, and it actually can look pretty cute.

In the winter, I brush with boar bristles, detangle a couple of times a day and generally treat it like you would straight hair.

The cork screws sound pretty nice...my hair doesn't want to be uniform, spirals in some spots and loose waves in others, but BIG everywhere, ugh.

spidermom
June 20th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Best tip that I have is comb and brush hair thoroughly before you wash and condition and be careful not to mess it around too much, then let it dry without touching it. OR comb conditioner through in the shower.

I get my best spirals when I wash before bed, then puddle my hair into the space above my pillow. Oh, and I wedge a pillow between mattress and bed-frame so that my hair doesn't spill over the edge.

Hang in there! Length helps to pull that big quality out, although there are still days when I would describe my hair as bushy.

krissykins
June 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
During this period, I just like to wash it, then put it in an updo, then forget about it until the next wash. It's effective in helping me forget my frustrations with my hair. :)

alyanna
June 20th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hang in there! Length helps to pull that big quality out, although there are still days when I would describe my hair as bushy.

So true! And I can't wait until I'm past the bushy stage. At the same time, I'm hoping that when my hair gets longer, it's not too flat, thin or stringy :rolleyes: Then I'll probably resign myself to a short blow-fried bob :(

ellen732
June 20th, 2011, 07:22 PM
During this period, I just like to wash it, then put it in an updo, then forget about it until the next wash. It's effective in helping me forget my frustrations with my hair. :)

I think this is how it is going to be for me too. I will deal with it again in the fall. :p

princessp
June 20th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Yes this is my hair too, but I must say it is getting much more manageable now that it is close (at?) TB. A spray bottle and a little leave-in between washes usually whips it back into shape.

janeytilllie
June 21st, 2011, 06:15 AM
My hair is my worst enemy in summer. It frizzes, knots and goes poofy. :justy::silly:
I usually spray it with some water and apply a little coney serum or conditioner. I then put it up in a braided bun all day.

Then poof the poofy hair is gone :magic::D

PolarCathy
June 21st, 2011, 07:00 AM
My hair is my worst enemy in summer. It frizzes, knots and goes poofy. :justy::silly:
I usually spray it with some water and apply a little coney serum or conditioner. I then put it up in a braided bun all day.

Then poof the poofy hair is gone :magic::D

If that's the guilty-annoying hair in your avatar it's lovely, be nice to it. Beautiful hair! ;)

tinti
June 21st, 2011, 08:26 AM
Have you tried plopping?

flourish
June 21st, 2011, 08:31 AM
I usually just spritz my hair with water so it is slightly damp and pull into a braid to dry. Generally it dries into nicer, more manageable waves. I also use hand lotion--rub it in my hands and then gently rub them over my hair to pat down any frizzies. It's probably not good for my hair, but hey, it works.

elbow chic
June 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM
Maybe it's crazy but my big hair is really starting to grow on me. I've been reading some natural-hair blogs for afro-type hair and every time I see someone on there with big hair I'm not like, "bleh." More like, "whoa, that's amazing!"

So you know, I'm coming to appreciate my own little slice of amazing "big" hair on myself. ;)

That said, the tangles that result from wearing that big loose style out in public are more than I really want to cope with, so if I'm going out, it's usually braided and pinned up. I wear it loose only for something sedate, like a dinner date.

Fall will be here soon and then it won't be quite so impressive anymore anyway. Enjoy while it lasts, I reckon. :eyebrows:

jojo
June 21st, 2011, 08:47 AM
I get this too and have started using de-ionised water which i spray on my hair after combing it. The key is only comb it once and then put it up, the more you comb the worse it gores well in my case anyway. Rooibo spray also helps hugely with de-frizzing and getting the curl back.

RebeccaG
June 21st, 2011, 08:59 AM
Yep that's my hair too!

The best remedy I have found so far is to wear it up on wash day, give it a light oiling at night, braid it overnight and then I can wear it down the next day with minimum frizz but as others have said the key is not to mess with it too much.

janeytilllie
June 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM
@PolarCathy
The avatar picture was taken this winter that's just gone. Happy hair back then lol :D
Thank you for the compliment :flower:

RitaCeleste
June 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
HA! The hair in my pic is way into the poof. I brushed it as it was drying and stuff. But yeah, its frizz season. I made it worse by trying to skip oiling it over the summer. I've use one product with cones that seemed to help some and that was Aphogee Moisturizing Oil Sheen. I have to spray it really lightly and wait 45 mins for the oils to soak into my hair before it starts to look like hair again. Because of the humidity where I live, I think every season is frizz season here. As far as using stuff with cones, I use shampoo about once every two months to remove build up, the rest of the time I co-wash.

ellen732
June 21st, 2011, 02:04 PM
Have you tried plopping?

I have and unfortunately it dries fuzzy. It's almost at waist too which makes it a lot to plop. :D

ellen732
June 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
I find that oiling it a little heavier at night and using water, aloe and jojoba oil in a mister bottle before I put it up or braid it is helping to contain it more.