PDA

View Full Version : Things I've learned about my hair and hair care (long but felt like sharing)

agoddess2die4
June 20th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Things I’ve learned about my hair thanks to LHC:
(And my best friend with gorgeous virgin curly hair, I had no idea she knew so much about hair care until I started talking about this site. Turns out gorgeous hair doesn’t usually just happen, it’s helped along the way. Yes, I’m dumb sometimes. haha)

- That it’s wavier than I thought and if I put mousse in it I actually have some curls (made me go from hating my “mostly straight but incredibly fuzzy, fluffy hair” to actually liking it because I learned that it’s not actually straight and if I don’t treat it like it is it responds so much better. Shout out to my best friend for taming me and teaching me the ways of the curl!)

- Following in that idea, that hair can change over time and I have to adapt to it. My hair was straight when I was little, then (according to pictures) started turning 1b around 10, then 1c during puberty, now seems to be settled at 2a natural, and 2b-2c when styled with curl products. Those wispy baby hairs around my face that used to be straight are now curly but can be tamed using this knowledge; I don’t have to resign myself to inexplicable fuzz anymore. (Not dying it for 2 years seems to be bringing curl to my hair too)

- That it doesn’t need to have a ton a layers to tame it (see above about my “straight” fuzzy/fluffy hair), less layering works with some product and length helps weigh it down (Again, no longer dying it has helped tremendously.)

- That it is doesn’t really get a lot greasier after the second day of not washing and the longer I go, the shinier it is when I wash it (holy heck it is shiny! And sleek!) Also, the greasiness is not noticeable when it’s up anyway, and I usually keep it up so it’s out of the way, so it doesn’t matter. Also, it’s sooo much easier to put up when greasy and stays put.

- Curl products can be used for straightening. Bad I know, but occasionally I enjoy straight hair (though luckily it’s rare because I’m too lazy to do it) and I don’t need a slew of “straightening” products to make it look good.

- That “benign neglect” is a form of hair care and I wasn’t treating my hair bad like everyone was telling me by not washing it daily, not brushing it constantly, wearing it a lot, and cutting at most once or twice a year.

- That wearing my hair up is actually good for it. I was always told that if I wear it up too much it will break and fall out. Turns out that’s true…if I have it pulled tightly into the same style day after day. Also, putting it up in a bun when wet makes it crazy shiny when I take it down (though it’s always messy if it’s put up wet, but if brushed it does fluff up. Still figuring out how to work with that.)

- That something so simple as wearing my hair in braids when I sleep pretty much prevents most of my tangles for the day and has slowed the spread of split ends. (And creates cute waves. Win-win right there.)

- Brushing before I shower makes shampooing and conditioning much easier, and pretty much prevents the need to detangle after showering. And detangling with fingers instead of brush or comb makes my hair less fluffy when dried and more curled.

And, to show how gorgeous my friend's hair is, here it is:
http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/a0goddess2die4/kris1hair.jpg
It got a lot longer than that before she cut it above her shoulders this year, I think reaching her waist when straightened. :( (darn that hot Florida weather where she lives), but I couldn't find any pictures of it. That's even her natural color, 100% virgin hair and almost too thick to wrap your hand around.

pinknika
June 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Isnt this place soo cool? I have learned A TON from this site and now my hair is in the BEST condition its every been! Good luck and Happy Growing :)

Jules2910
June 20th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I totally agree. I am a very new member but have learned so much already! Best lesson??? Oil washing! love it !

spidermom
June 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I'm really thankful for what I've learned here - at least the parts that make sense to me. There's a lot of "what are you thinking?!" too.

|Xei
June 22nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'm really thankful for what I've learned here - at least the parts that make sense to me. There's a lot of "what are you thinking?!" too.
My thoughts exactly ;)

dmarie16
June 22nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
I love this site to and I feel blessed to have found so much encouraging advice! Love u guys!

gthlvrmx
June 23rd, 2011, 01:07 AM
And after you pamper that baby, you tuck it away and ignore it until it's ready to feed again :)
Great advice here :)