PDA

View Full Version : Could I wash conditioner only?

joyfulheart18
June 20th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I would like to TRY conditioner only, but I'm not sure if I can. I have to wash my hair, shampoo and conditioner, every day for it to be clean. I use a sulfate free shampoo (Live Clean brand) and a cone free conditioner (Live Clean brand). Could I do this without my hair being gross, and would it help my hair? (Oh, I should note that I put in lots of conditioner and don't wash much off...my hair drinks up conditioner and has looked a lot healthier since I have been doing this).

Mrspuddinhead
June 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Hi there. There is another thread on the forums that discuss this issue. They will be able to help out greatly. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898 Hope that helps.

joyfulheart18
June 20th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I saw that...the only problem is it's 101 pages and I'm not sure what page talks about my specific problem of having to wash every day or it gets greasy. My question is if it's possible to do CO washing with that type of hair/scalp. Thank you, though. :)

krissykins
June 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM
You'll never know until you try. I've seen other 1c/2a-ers pop up in that thread and some liked it, some didn't.

Anje
June 20th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I'd say give it a try. You can definitely do it every day. I've got a similar hairtype to you and I CO wash.

If you like to leave in a lot of conditioner, I think you might have better luck if you apply it, let it sit, massage, and rinse thoroughly first. Then apply a bit more conditioner as a leave-in. Otherwise, you might not carry away all the oils.

I find that I produce a lot less sebum if I've been CO-washing for a while, compared to if I use a shampoo. My scalp reacts to the drying of the shampoo by over-producing oil. If yours is reactive like mine, you might actually find your hair is cleaner for longer with CO-washing, after a few weeks of adjustment.

GlassWidow
June 20th, 2011, 02:23 PM
For me, there was definitely a transition period when I switched to CO. I was like you - I washed with shampoo and conditioner every day and didn't feel clean when I didn't. I still washed every day with CO, but my hair looked a little lank for a while as my scalp adjusted to the new routine (dry shampoo was my friend during that time). Even when it was lank, though, it still felt clean...I was amazed at how clean conditioner got my hair! I got through the temptation to clarify with shampoo by using ACV rinse every time I washed. I'm now closer to washing every other day, and I use the ACV rinse every week or two, if I think I need it.

The bottom line is that I think it's definitely possible to make the switch, but be prepared for a short period of rebellious scalp. I know you're not a newbie anymore, but keep in mind the standard newbie advice that says use up the products you have now before switching to something new. That was a big one for me, since I wanted to start CO the minute I found out about it, which was about 4 days after I bought new shampoo and conditioner, and I wanted to immediately try ALL the conditioners out there. ;)

Oh, and the other thing about CO is that it seems the cheaper and runnier it is, the better the conditioner cleans. I found Suave to be too waxy for my hair, but I've had good luck with VO5 Naturals. I'm currently happily using the Banana conditioner from The Body Shop. I mix it half and half with water, otherwise it's too thick. It may take some trial and error to find the product that makes your hair happy, so persistence is key. Good luck, and if you have questions, definitely drop by the CO thread that was linked above. It was very helpful for me!

IanB
June 20th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Yes, give it a go. I do it all the time between shampoos, using just tepid water to wash first, then conditioner, then rinse off. Great results and worth a try

Oksana
June 21st, 2011, 05:48 AM
Like the previous posts, just try it! I was unsure but i love it and wish i had tried it earlier :) You have nothing to lose.

BroadwayBeauty
June 21st, 2011, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I saw that...the only problem is it's 101 pages and I'm not sure what page talks about my specific problem of having to wash every day or it gets greasy. My question is if it's possible to do CO washing with that type of hair/scalp. Thank you, though. :)

Well you can always go on there and ask your specific question--people are always willing to try and help answer!

GRU
June 21st, 2011, 08:31 AM
When confronted with a HUGE thread, I recommend reading the first few pages of posts and the last few pages of posts. More than likely, your question has been answered at least once on one of those few pages.

As for your question, I'm not sure what the question really is..... but for what it's worth, I CO-wash almost daily because of my curl pattern. As stated a gazillion times in the thread you didn't want to read, everyone's hair and scalp react differently. Try it for a few weeks -- if it's not working, try it with a different product for a few weeks. Some people have to try 2-3-4 different conditioners before they find The One that makes their scalp and hair happy.

deko
June 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
I do co-washes a few times a week. I shampoo once or twice a week (usually CWC). My hair feels clean and strong. If I don't wash my whole hair I condition my ends (cold water rinse, conditioner, let it sit for awhile, cold water rinse, towel-dry, leave-in or oil). Or I use dry shampoo or similar.