PDA

View Full Version : How Does a Bald Headed Long Hair Measure???

GoatLady
June 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM
OK, my husband and I are both growing our hair. I was explaining to him how I measure and he wants to know how he would measure since the top of his head is bald. But the rest of his hair is below his shoulders. Obviously he can't measure like the rest of us since his hairline begins at the back of his head. :laugh:

Slinks
June 19th, 2011, 08:10 PM
lol .. too funny .. I guess you measure where it starts .. :-) lol

QueenJoey
June 19th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah measure where it starts. That's why we measure from the hairline, because that's where it starts growing. That's an interesting situation he's in haha.

Pierre
June 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I suggest he trace the midline from the tip of his nose, over the bridge, past the glabella, along the midseam of the head, until he finds hair, and start there.

GoatLady
June 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks. That's pretty much what we thought.

Mesmerise
June 20th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I think it's easiest just to start from the hairline, BUT with a much receded hairline the results will be different to most other people without receding hair.

I mean, if your hairline starts 3" back from where it once started, then your measurement will appear 3" shorter than someone else's who has the same length hair (down the back)... or at least approximately the same. If that makes sense.

But I guess it doesn't really matter, as it's just to measure progress!

Panth
June 20th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I think it's easiest just to start from the hairline, BUT with a much receded hairline the results will be different to most other people without receding hair.

I mean, if your hairline starts 3" back from where it once started, then your measurement will appear 3" shorter than someone else's who has the same length hair (down the back)... or at least approximately the same. If that makes sense.

Or, you could do the opposite and slightly over-estimate and measure from the eyebrows. :P

However this is the important bit:

But I guess it doesn't really matter, as it's just to measure progress!

If he's only measuring his own progress it doesn't matter where he measures from, just that he is consistent with it (which is why the LHC measurements are from the hairline, not the crown, as the crown is vaguely defined and it is easy to measure from different spots and mess up your measuring). You'll just have to remember the difference when comparing growth/length with others' as, obviously, it won't match up.

jojo
June 20th, 2011, 06:24 AM
OK, my husband and I are both growing our hair. I was explaining to him how I measure and he wants to know how he would measure since the top of his head is bald. But the rest of his hair is below his shoulders. Obviously he can't measure like the rest of us since his hairline begins at the back of his head. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: ha ha that made me chuckle! seems you already have an answer and I really didnt have a clue but your post made me smile!:)

Bast
June 20th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Something else that can be done is to not look at growth in inches, but in body landmarks. Shoulder, APL, MBL/BSL, waist...

DoubleCrowned
June 20th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Of course, body land marks are remarkably different from individual to individual, since no two people are exactly the same height and proportion, so measuring in inches is still necessary as well. If his hairline recedes any more or his inch measurement will be shorter!

Anje
June 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM
For here, I think I'd go by body landmarks. If he wants to keep track of inches so he can work out a growth rate, I'm going to second the "measure from the eyebrows" suggestion. At least then he doesn't risk his measurement going shorter if his hairline recedes further. :)