PDA

View Full Version : Are sponge curlers bad for your hair?

sakuramoon08
June 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Or plastic ones for that matter? I know the dollar store plastic curlers and sponge ones are soooo bad. The sponge is rough, and the plastic ones have wierd little plastic bumps on the edges that aren't there on purpose. If I used good smooth plastic or sponge curlers would that work?

spidermom
June 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I don't think that sponge curlers are bad. I used to use them on a regular basis (hair into top of head ponytail, roll the ends) when my hair was short enough to hold a curl. You have to make sure the hair is wrapped very smoothly, otherwise the ends get all crimped and weird-looking.

You have to be really careful about combing curls, too. I wouldn't comb after I curled until I absolutely had to.

Madora
June 19th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I've used both medium sized sponge curlers and the hard, rigid types.

Got rid of the rigid ones because they got in my way when I slept.

The sponge ones were fine. However, I only use curlers on the last 3 inches of hair. I braid my hair in 2 braids..three-quarters of the way down, tie off with a hair friendly band, then divide the remaining hair in 5 sections and use a curler for each section.

These stay in overnight. I use a wide tooth comb to gently detangle the resulting curls..which look nice but alas, are pretty much gone by the next day. I don't believe in using any product to help the curls stay in the hair because I hate to have anything coating my strands.

I've tried different sizes of sponge curlers and found that the larger ones seem to make the detangling process a lot easier. Curls are less "snarly" for lack of a better word.

QueenJoey
June 19th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I use foam curlers. Granted, the curls don't always look very pretty if you don't wrap your hair perfectly, but it's much better for my hair than a heated styling tool. (curling iron)

krissykins
June 19th, 2011, 09:29 PM
The only thing I can think of that would make them "bad" is if the hair catches on parts of it. If there's any seams on the roller (and I'm sure there are some on the plastic ones), that might rip hair up.

ZaBasDa
June 19th, 2011, 09:43 PM
If they were rough you could file the bumps smooth if you really wanted to.

Sundial
June 19th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I think sponge curlers are fine but the plastic ones with bumps can be a problem. Why don't you just stick with the sponge curlers if they both give you the same results? Besides, if you are leaving them in overnight, I'm sure the sponge curlers are more comfortable to sleep on.

Alternatively, you may want to check out other options of curling like rag curls.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
I was using sponge curlers like every day about a year ago... my hair ended up ruined because of it.. I would say they are fine to use on occasion, but not regularly like I was.

BlazingHeart
July 3rd, 2011, 12:51 PM
I've had trouble with my hair getting tangled around sponge rollers, so be careful when you're putting your hair on!

dragonchickx
July 3rd, 2011, 12:55 PM
OH yeah these are my spong curls though I cut mine and half and sewed them into long peices of cloth so I could tie them in my hair instead of clipping them...
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4734/dsc00419as.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/dsc00419as.jpg/)

beccababesx
July 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
I think repeated use of the hard kind could cause a small amount of damage from it pulling on the hair, plus wear and tear from the pins. Sponge rollers, I don't think so. I set my hair (damp) in (cold) hard rollers at least twice a week because it stops me from using heat tools, so the damage is definitely worth it for me. For the record, I haven't actually seen any damage from using them just yet, but I am only at MBL and I've only been using them for a couple of months.

jacqueline101
July 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
I use sponge rollers they are better then curling irons and hot rollers.