PDA

View Full Version : Back to BSL, could not handle waist+

Akiko
June 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM
It's been almost three years since I joined LHC. My hair was probably shorter than BSL back then. I let it grow past waist and stayed there more than a year.

But I realized it was just too fussy for me. Waist+ length was quite tangly. And most of all, I missed some updos I used to do when I was at BSL.

So now I am back to BSL. It took me almost three years to find out what length I really like. Feeling quite silly to be back where I started. But I guess it was a great journey to learn all kinds of hair care methods as well as styles thanks to LHC. I just wanted to say thanks to you all.:)

Yozhik
June 19th, 2011, 05:41 PM
It's great to hear your experience, Akiko, and I'm glad to hear that you've found your favorite length! :)

I'm going through some similar uncertainty about my hair at the moment, actually. I started growing about two years ago from shoulder, and am now at waist+. So far I like it, but I've been wondering if I should grow anymore. I have an inkling that hip will be too much for me, and already I'm concerned that with a blunt hemline my hair looks too severe when down. Plus, my wurls are being pulled out by the extra length. My plan so far is to grow to hip, see how I like it, and most likely cut to somewhere between waist and BSL, which I think were my favorite lengths. :)

Anyway, sorry for the ramble -- I just wanted to say good job making your choice about your hair!

ETA: I just wanted to agree that even though you're back at your original length, I'm sure now you know so much more about hair care and updos, so it's definitely not time wasted! Plus there's this great community! :D

Akiko
June 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Hi Yozhik!

Certainly, it takes quite a long time to figure out what works best!

I needed to stay around waist more than a year to figure out in order to come to conclusion. As our hair grows, we sometimes find out the unexpected.

I also wanted to have an option of wearing it down without worrying so much about damage or tangles. BSL is really much easier than waist for me.

I hope you can find your favorite length soon, Yozhik!

spidermom
June 19th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Waist length was a pain, I've got to agree. I didn't like my hair again until it got to hip.

Akiko
June 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I could not go beyond waist+, Spidermom. Now I have more respect to those who can. I had a dream of braiding my hair and wrap around my head. But, that was my dream... Could not accomplish.

jojo
June 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM
I am finding waist such a tangly stage too. I am hoping it will get to hip but if its a pain i shall be cutting back to bsl.

InTheCity
June 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM
Akiko,

I think this is great news for you! Sometimes it takes growing it to a certain length to see what works best. Plus BSL is no small feat! And if you get it to look thick and healthy, which I'm sure yours is, it looks long.

I grew for years to get to BSL and finally admitted that my hair didn't look good long. I just went to get it cut to maybe APL with some thick-faking layers and ended up with chin and barely-shoulder layers :( Thank gosh for LHC to turn to so I can start all over again.

Beatrice
June 21st, 2011, 06:02 PM
I'm intrigued by the replies that preferred hip to waist. Any thoughts as to why that was the case?

I'm currently BSL and loving it--it's where my hair has been most of my life--and I'm toying with the idea of growing to waist for the first time ever. A couple girls in my degree program have waist-length hair, and it's so gorgeous. On the other hand, I don't know what I'm in for as far as care, and I may have to fight some family backlash. ^^;

I don't really get tangles these days, since I always wear my hair up, slather conditioner, and braid+oil at night. But maybe things change significantly past BSL?

agoddess2die4
June 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
It's good to realize that it didn't work for you, at least you aren't going to sit and wonder "what if", because that can drive you crazy. I finally managed to stop dying my hair two years ago when I decided to finally make the plunge and dye my hair black to finally try it. I'd gone all kinds of shades of red and brown, and blond highlights (never had an interest in full blond hair), but was afraid of black hair because of horror stories I'd heard. I finally did it anyway because I kept wondering and I can be impulsive with my hair. I quite loved it...when I wore makeup. It washed me out without it, but was gorgeous with makeup so I enjoyed it while it lasted and could finally stop dying because I stopped wondering what it would've looked like if I had done it. And, on an other plus side, it should be so healthy and beautiful looking since you cut off a lot of length and know how to care for it properly. :)

Akiko
June 21st, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hi Jojo, you have been so patient all these years growing your hair and still going! Whatever you decide when your hair grows to hip, it will be great to know what you want.

InTheCity, yes, I think this is great news. I finally came to my own conclusion that I am not up to waist length or longer. I kept wondering how it might be to get to waist and beyond. But my wondering is over. My conclusion was not exactly what I expected. But I learned BSL is what I want. I am really enjoying my carefree BSL hair.

I am so glad you are here. There are many supportive people and great advice here. I learned so much about my own hair on this board. Some haircuts ended up such a pain for me, too. But it's all good in the end. We learn what we like and don't like.

Beatrice, everyone has unique hair and behaves differently. But from what I gather, once hair gets close to waist, it is significantly tanglier than BSL for most people.

I wear my hair up most of the time even now. But I like to loosen up my hair at night during my sleep. This was a problem at waist.

I toss and turn a lot during my sleep. My hair got tangled quite a bit so that combing in the morning became quite cumbersome. So I tried different styles at night, two side braids, a ponytail or bun on top of my head, etc. But none of them was comfortable for me.

Anyway, you will find out how your hair behaves. I am certain you will find what is best for you. :)

Akiko
June 21st, 2011, 08:58 PM
It is so true, agoddess2die4. It really is quite freeing to know what I like. No more wondering. I kept measuring my hair, thinking what if my hair is a bit longer... and longer... I even kept a record of my length for a while, which usually I am not so good at. Sometime wondering and waiting for my hair to grow was quite frustrating. I am not so patient.

I also tried bleaching a little bit before. Totally damaged my hair.:( I won't do it anymore.

It is great you tried different colors including black. Finding out what works and what does not takes time and patience. Since you have done it, no more wondering for you. :)

UltraBella
June 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM
Akiko, I totally understand ! I just did the same thing and I don't regret it one bit. I had grown my hair waist length several times, but I got the urge to trim shorter at hip and then really badly at tailbone. It's just too much hair for me personally. I hope you are loving your new do !!

Beatrice
June 21st, 2011, 09:04 PM
Beatrice, everyone has unique hair and behaves differently. But from what I gather, once hair gets close to waist, it is significantly tanglier than BSL for most people.

I wear my hair up most of the time even now. But I like to loosen up my hair at night during my sleep. This was a problem at waist.

I toss and turn a lot during my sleep. My hair got tangled quite a bit so that combing in the morning became quite cumbersome. So I tried different styles at night, two side braids, a ponytail or bun on top of my head, etc. But none of them was comfortable for me.

Anyway, you will find out how your hair behaves. I am certain you will find what is best for you. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We'll just have to see how I deal with those tangles. I do know that when it comes to sleeping, I've worn my hair pulled back for so many years that I'd feel bizarre if it were loose. It would be like sleeping on top of the sheets! :eek: Everyone's different, for sure.

Akiko
June 21st, 2011, 09:27 PM
Ultrabella, I respect you so much for having patience to grow your hair to tailbone. I gave up before hip. Yes, I am totally enjoying my hair now. It's been really easy to care for and still versatile in terms of updos. I can also wear it down without worrying about tangles. Oh, so great! It's so wonderful you found out what you like, too.

Beatrice, it's great you can wear your hair pulled back when you sleep. That was a real challenge for me. I really could not get used to it.

Mannaz
June 22nd, 2011, 04:18 AM
I am kind of reading this read like this: :lala:

My hair is in the midback abyss right now and my goal is waist... I don't find it hard to handle now but for some reason this lenght feels a bit... unnatural. I think it's because my bodyshape and how the hair hangs because of it, and I feel waist will be more comfortable but maybe that's just wishful thinking... On the plus side my hair tangles at any length so I don't think any amount of tangles could scare me :D

Good that you have found the perfect length Akiko, now you can just enjoy it :)

IcarusBride
June 22nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
Akiko I hope you don't intend to leave us! Even if you aren't growing your hair longer, maintaining its health is also a journey. Plus I'd miss you if you were gone :D It's good to hear your happy news though, that you found your perfect length!

Melisande
June 22nd, 2011, 05:05 AM
I did the same - cut back from tailbone to waist, then to BSL. I´m glad I did it. I feel wonderful. Hair grows every day, and if I want to, I can re-grow it. I take very good care of my hair now, so it was a win-win.

Akiko
June 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Manaaz, don't worry. You might really love waist length. It might not be cumbersome for you at all. Finding out what we like is quite freeing. Whichever conclusion you come to, you will be happy. :)

IcarusBride, that is so sweet! No, I do not intend to leave. So true maintaining healthy hair is a journey.

Melisande, yes, hair grows! Right now, I don't feel like trying to grow my hair longer than BSL or so. But who knows, I might change my mind some day in the future. Then I know, at least, what to expect.

RitaCeleste
June 23rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
I'm inspired by those who have gone to shorter lengths as well. I'm growing mine but it is always BSL or growing to waist. I'm not sure I'll end up with hair longer than waist. I notice what I spend on conditioning products goes way up due to tangles and dryness at this length. The time of doing my hair increases. I brush more. Good to know I can still hang out if I decide to trim it back at some point!

October
June 23rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
I can't wait to be BSL. My ultimate goal is TBL, but I have a feeling that I will probably not be able to stand it once I go past BSL. But, it is still a dream for now.

I'm glad you like your length. That's what really matters.

shell78
June 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
I'm somewhere between hip and tailbone, and lately I've been contemplating a 4" trim back to waist. I grew out layers pretty quickly and based on the tangles I'm seeing I may have some damage in the front. (On the other hand, my hair is finest and curliest in the front, so it may just need more moisture)

I wanted to say this though- once I made it past midback and approached waist, I stated to love how my hair began to hang. At BSL and before waist, it sort of splays out on the widest part of the back. Once I began to approach waist, my hair would sort of "swing" in the curve of my back that dips toward my waist. On me, I started feeling this around 30" and it really made me feel sexy.

So those of you who are aiming for waist - definitely keep growing and see what you think of it. My final goal was always waist but once I got there I was curious about hip and tailbone. Now that I'm past hip, I realize I was happiest at 30" so that's my new goal. It definitely helps to grow beyond your goal so you know what you're missing out on, and why you've chosen the length you maintain. Akiko, I'm glad you've figured out where you want to be and plan to start maintaining.

I have a couple of planning-to-trim photos in my BSL to waist album as well as pics of my hair at different lengths if anyone is curious.

Elenna
June 23rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Two to three more inches to waist for my hair. But it isn't the length that bothers me, it's the faerie knots that were my hair problem at any length. I had to trim off the knots which made my hemline ragged.

I've never read about anyone else here having a faerie knot problem (which are single strand knots). Finding and solving the cause of single strand knots took detective work! So finally, I have those under control, but I may have to do some drastic trimming to get an all over blunt hemline. Although I'm so close to my goal, I am thinking of trimming back to BSL, but really want to get to waist length.

lorelai2012
June 23rd, 2011, 11:06 AM
I find this rather interesting. I have the aim of mid back but i don't know if I'll have the patience to go on after BSL- growing hair and caring for it is so much work and I have a lot of respect for everyone here for all their hard work and patience!

renarok
June 23rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
I also am contemplating a substantial trim. I went through a fairly 'hairy' shed recently and I just don't like the way the bottom 4-6 inches of my canopy appears. I am at TBL and a trim to hip would probably solve the scraggly appearance. I also find that some updos just aren't as easy with the extra length.

luluj
June 23rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
I'm inching toward BSL at the moment, hoping to be there before the fall sets in. I really want to stay the course and make it to this goal, after that, I just don't know. Like someone previously said, I am liking the updos at my current length, in fact, there are some updos that are becoming more difficult as my hair gets longer. I love to wear my hair down also, which leaves me wondering if longer than BSL is a good idea. I change my mind with the shifting of the wind, so who knows! FUN, FUN FUN!:cheer:

CrisDee
June 23rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
This is so interesting for me to read! My hair is currently about an inch past chin in front, a few inches from APL in the back, so this is all years away for me. I can't WAIT til I get to the point where I have to make these decisions! :D But having had APL-BSL hair for most of my life, my experience is that once it gets to all-one-length APL, it's easy growing from there - cos I can get it up and OFF me when it gets on my nerves! But I haven't had it past BSL since the 70's, so it'll really be interesting to see how I feel about the extra length - you all have given me food for thought. :)

jojo
June 23rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
I'm intrigued by the replies that preferred hip to waist. Any thoughts as to why that was the case?

I'm currently BSL and loving it--it's where my hair has been most of my life--and I'm toying with the idea of growing to waist for the first time ever. A couple girls in my degree program have waist-length hair, and it's so gorgeous. On the other hand, I don't know what I'm in for as far as care, and I may have to fight some family backlash. ^^;

I don't really get tangles these days, since I always wear my hair up, slather conditioner, and braid+oil at night. But maybe things change significantly past BSL?

my hair is up all the time but i still get tangles! Mine is worse when wet takes forever to get them out.

McFearless
June 23rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
I'm happy that you're happy with your hair, Akiko! :)
I'm also feeling that long hair is such a pain to take care of, but I love the look of it too much to cut it off.

Beatrice
June 23rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
my hair is up all the time but i still get tangles! Mine is worse when wet takes forever to get them out.

That's frustrating! I guess that comes with having wavy hair. At least you have those pretty waves! My hair is sort of bi-textured--2a in the front, 1c in the back. Easier to care for perhaps, but not as attractive, in my opinion.

Djinmonet
June 24th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Two to three more inches to waist for my hair. But it isn't the length that bothers me, it's the faerie knots that were my hair problem at any length. I had to trim off the knots which made my hemline ragged.

I've never read about anyone else here having a faerie knot problem (which are single strand knots). Finding and solving the cause of single strand knots took detective work! So finally, I have those under control, but I may have to do some drastic trimming to get an all over blunt hemline. Although I'm so close to my goal, I am thinking of trimming back to BSL, but really want to get to waist length.

I have the faerie knots, I have from the time I got sick, over ten years ago. I'm curious to know what you did to solve them? I just snip them out as I find them, so they don't cause damage all around. I still don't know how they get there, and I only heard of them once, on a CSI episode...

My hair has always been prone to tangles, at any length, so if I hadn't found comfortable ways to sleep with it up I can only imagine the nightmare.
I'm glad you found a length that works well for you Akiko. :)