PDA

View Full Version : ACV+Rose water+honey=sweet!

Mannaz
June 19th, 2011, 05:57 AM
So I got experimental yesterday and did an ACV rinse with rose water and a squirt of honey. Made my hair VERY shiny, gave amazing slip and all in all just worḱed like :magic:
The hair was very happy!

I made the mixture in a big pint (0.5 litres, sorry i don't know the U.S measurments...), maybe two table spoons of ACV, a generous amount of the rose water (maybe one decilitre) and a squirt of honey. First I dunk the length in the pint, then pour it all over the hair and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Rinsed well and finished with icy cold water.

Honey always gives me a bit of a frizz, but it settled down after a few hours. I have to try this again in a normal wash day, this was different cause I clarified before the rinse, usually I use shampoo bars. Has anyone tried this sort of mix before? I use rose water as a toner and put it in my misters but this hadn't occured to me before...

Sundial
June 19th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Did you fill the rest of the way with water, or was it just ACV+rose water+honey straight? I just had to ask because there wasn't any mention of water and most of us don't use ACV straight like that

I happen to have all the ingredients and wouldn't mind giving this a try

Mannaz
June 19th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Yeah the rest was plain tap water, sorry I forgot mention that :) Do give it a try, I'd love to hear how this works for other people!

Sundial
June 19th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks! ;) I'll report back once I've tried it

pixiestar
June 19th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Ooh I want to give this a try:) must make some more rosewater first though:)

Mannaz
June 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Ooh I want to give this a try:) must make some more rosewater first though:)

I'd love to make my own rosewater too! Could you please tell me how you do it? :flower:

krissykins
June 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM
There are a lot of ways to make your own rose water, but I like to just boil some rose petals for 30 minutes, then remove the rose petals, then boil down the water to my preferred concentration. The last part is optional.

I love rose water for my hair, and I'm glad this awesome treatment worked for you :D I think adding distilled water instead of plain tap water would have great results for this treatment, too.

pixiestar
June 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I'd love to make my own rosewater too! Could you please tell me how you do it? :flower:

Hi, this is the recipe I follow

You need a brick and heat-safe stainless steel or glass quart bowl.

Ingredients:
2-3 quarts fresh roses or rose petals
Water
Ice cubes or crushed ice

1. In the center of a large pot (the speckled blue canning pots are ideal) with an inverted lid (a rounded lid), place a fireplace brick. On top of the brick place the bowl. Put the roses in the pot; add enough flowers to reach the top of the brick. Pour in just enough water to cover the roses. The water should be just above the top of the brick.

2. Place the lid upside down on the pot. Turn on the stove and bring the water to a rolling boil, then lower heat to a slow steady simmer. As soon as the water begins to boil, toss two or three trays of ice cubes (or a bag of ice) on top of the lid.

3. You’ve now created a home still! As the water boils the steam rises, hits the top of the cold lid, and condenses. As it condenses it flows to the center of the lid and drops into the bowl. Every 20 minutes, quickly lift the lid and take out a tablespoon or two of the rose water. It’s time to stop when you have between a pint and a quart of water that smells and tastes strongly like roses.

LoversLullaby
June 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I'm so glad this worked for you!
If I want some extra shine, I use vinegar and honey together, it works sooo well. I never tried it with rose water, but it sounds even better. :)

ifthemoonsmiled
June 19th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what effect does rosewater have on hair? I haven't heard of using it before...

Melisande
June 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I use citric acid, honey and a squirt of conditioner.

RitaPG
June 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM
That seems like an awesome combo! I do need to use up my ACV.
Thanks for sharing :)

whitestiletto
June 19th, 2011, 02:54 PM
i want to try a rose water and jasmine EO mix now!

Qamar
June 19th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Ingredients:
Water
Ice cubes or crushed ice

1. In the center of a large pot (the speckled blue canning pots are ideal) with an inverted lid (a rounded lid), place a fireplace brick. On top of the brick place the bowl. Put the roses in the pot; add enough flowers to reach the top of the brick. Pour in just enough water to cover the roses. The water should be just above the top of the brick.

2. Place the lid upside down on the pot. Turn on the stove and bring the water to a rolling boil, then lower heat to a slow steady simmer. As soon as the water begins to boil, toss two or three trays of ice cubes (or a bag of ice) on top of the lid.

3. You’ve now created a home still! As the water boils the steam rises, hits the top of the cold lid, and condenses. As it condenses it flows to the center of the lid and drops into the bowl. Every 20 minutes, quickly lift the lid and take out a tablespoon or two of the rose water. It’s time to stop when you have between a pint and a quart of water that smells and tastes strongly like roses.

This is so cool! Thank you for sharing your homemade distillation instructions!

Mannaz
June 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Krissykins: Yea, I'm sure distilled water would be great, have to try that in a day I'm feeling extra-crafty.... I usually use plain tap water for everything and I believe our water is fairly good. And thanks for the recipe :)

Pixiestar: thank you for the recipe! I have no idea where I could get the rose petals though but you never know...

ifthemoonsmiled: rose water is a good moisturizer and it increases the circulation in the scalp and is good for the scalp in general. Here (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/rose-water-benefits.html) is a link. And the scent is wonderful :)

Loverlullaby I'm glad it worked too...It's been a while since I've had a heureka- moment with my hair :D

Melisande: I haven't tried citric acid yet. I tried lemon juice and water and it made my hair dry... I bet the acid would work better!

RitaPG: you're welcome :)

Whitestiletto: that sounds yummy! I've used a couple of drops of my jasmin absolute in ACV rinses, it did work well and left some scent in my hair, I'm sure it would work very well with rose water.

jaquelines
June 20th, 2011, 04:44 PM
i won´t be able to make my own water roses. my question is : in germany we have a store called alnatura, kind of "natural stuff" store. they have their own rosewater, which, as usually for those kind of products, in order to keep them good, has a small amount of alkohol. do you think that would be bad for the hair/hairscalp ?

Mannaz
June 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Well, I wouldn't use other than pure rose water (which is made of distilled water and rose essential oil). While the alcohol might not be that bad for the hair/scalp, I'd feel that it contradicts the benefits of the rose water too much...

I'm pretty sure you might find the pure stuff from an ethnic food store. Also it would propably be cheaper in a store like that since it is considered a food product rather than an eco-beauty product...

LaceyNg
January 4th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Ingredients:
Water
Ice cubes or crushed ice

i know this is an older thread, but i just wanted to say thanks to pixiestar for the awesome reosewater recipe, and inquire if anyone else has since tried the rosewater+ACV+honey+water mix? if so, your results...? :)