PDA

View Full Version : Best hairtoys for WL hair?

Maverick494
June 19th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Hey everyone!

I've been participating in the hairtoy craze for a while now but it's been hard to find sticks/forks/clips/etc. that keep my hair secure. So I figured, why should I reinvent the wheel when you guys already know what works? :cool:

Anyway, here's a picture of my hair so you know what I'm dealing with:
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1398/schermafbeelding2011061m.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/schermafbeelding2011061m.png/)

What I'm looking for are hairtoys that keep my buns securely in place. I know, what works for you may not work for me, but it would help me get on the right track.

So, what are your favorite hairtoys for when you're going for a secure hairstyle?

Sundial
June 19th, 2011, 06:26 AM
While I find hair sticks and hair forks pretty secure, only Flexi8s (www.flexi8.com) survive a spin in my convertible so those are really sturdy.

For hair sticks, I like ketylos (www.ketylo.com). I find their corkscrew design helps to hold updos well but note that your mileage may vary - some LHC members feel the ketylos performs worse than regular sticks at holding up hair. So the only way to find out is to try it out

Maverick494
June 19th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Thank you for your input! I've checked the flexi-8 site but I'm unsure which size to choose. What are your experiences?

Sundial
June 19th, 2011, 07:12 AM
It seems that our length and thickness is about the same. I use a mega (XXL) for most buns and a XL for centre-held buns like Nautilus buns :p Medium for ponytail and large for folded braids. Hope that helps!

Maverick494
June 19th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Thank you for your quick reply! That was very helpful!

CareBear
June 19th, 2011, 07:30 AM
My go to updo is a gibraltar bun held with 2 homemade hairpins (double pointed knitting needles bent in two) I also have a point from a deer antler, it is slightly curved and tapered, and it holds super too. (one of these days I'm going to use a dremel to carve it) I also like multiple medium claw clips for holding buns and braided buns.

Maverick494
June 19th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Thank you Carebear! That's a great suggestion because I still have knitting needles at home collecting dust.

jasper
June 19th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Sticks work the best for me and if I want something absolutely secure, it has to be an updo with some twist to it.

Merewen
June 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I'll second the Ketylos and also throw in hair screws.

Also, you may find some things work better with different hairstyles. For instance, I have a wooden fork that holds my hair all day in a lazy wrap bun for work, but I'd never get is secured right in a knot bun or a cinnabun. Those ones hold like rocks when secured by the Ketylo (or screws). The Ketylo's not so great in the lazy wrap, though. It slips right out.

Maverick494
June 19th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I see, different toys for different hairstyles :) Thanks for your input!

pepperminttea
June 19th, 2011, 08:12 AM
If I had to rebuild my collection, after a house fire (god forbid) or something, the first thing I'd buy would be ketylos. They're not too high price-wise, they come in many different colours and materials, and the corkscrew design really does hold wonderfully well. You could have some topped to make them more decorative, or left as they are they're entirely snag-free. And if worst comes to worst, and you try them and they don't work for you, I doubt you'd have any problems passing them on to another LHCer on the Swap Board. :) I use the medium length (6") ones.

[...] it has to be an updo with some twist to it.

Funnily enough, for me it's the exact opposite, despite the fact are hairtypes aren't a million miles apart. The nautilus bun and Spidermom's bun are my most secure 'go to' updos, and neither of them requires twisting.

bunzfan
June 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I find forks hold the best. Ketylo's are sticks that hold well to and with regard to the flexi 8 sizing i need a large for a bun and i don't have nearly as much hair as you do:)

I also have some Acrylic hair sticks i love those and they weren't that expensive a great buy if you damp bun or swim.

spigette
June 19th, 2011, 08:35 AM
For me, my fave hairtoys are my sock bun socks.

I know, I know, I am always going on about sock buns! :p but they stay in forever on me. I can put one in in the morning, wear it all day and all night, and even the next morning it is still intact if a bit looser. It will even survive a heavy aerobic workout, and if you wear it low enough, works under a bike helmet too.

I take the ponytail holder out after it is wound up, though, because I hate the marks it leaves, so I always add a stick or two woven under and through. Then all I do at night is take the sticks out and sleep in the bun. Next day, pretty curls! :D

Plus, they are the ultimate cheap hairtoy since you make it from an old sock - I used a brown angora kneesock that got a hole in the toe, so it is soft and matches my hair in case it peeks through.

I may change my mind about my favourite soon though - I am currently waiting on a shipment from Indonesia that I bought from Leginayba's Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/Leginayba?ref=seller_info). I got 16 gorgeous-looking hair sticks and forks and combs for about $60 USD, shipping included. Now I play the waiting game..... :rolleyes:

Indonesia to Canada + sitting in Customs + Canada Post on strike = very long wait!!!

jojo
June 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM
looks longer than waist to me, more hip! i dunno about what toys would hold your beautiful hair, its gorgeous

Maverick494
June 20th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ah thanks for all the tips and compliments everyone! You guys are boosting my ego :D

Leginayba has some nice things indeed. I ordered a couple of hairsticks from them a while ago and they are wonderful. It also didn't take as long as I thought it would, so you may be in luck!

I've now ordered 2 Flexi-8's. One for buns and one for half ups. I can't wait to try them out and I will post pictures when I have.

I'm also browsing keytlo's site.

Haha sock buns! Well I think they look lovely but I haven't got the technique yet. When I do a normal one somehow you can always see the sock. When I do loopsies method I don't get a bun but a......something. ;)