PDA

View Full Version : keeping curls in super straight hair ??

blondecat
June 18th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I am asking this for a friend [ I have no problem with curls staying haha]

So she is the FMOB and we are experimenting with hairstyles.

she likes the ones with curls.

Her hair won't stay curled for more than 20 minutes.

Does anyone have hints/ tips to get curls to stay.

[so far we tried hot rollers and a curling wand.]

and heeps of hair spray.

Does anything work for the super straight ??

kme81
June 18th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Try foam curlers on very slightly damp hair, cover with a sleeping cap or scarf and wear it overnight...That always works for me...my hair wont keep a curl otherwise. I never even have to use hairspray when I do this! :)

kidari
June 18th, 2011, 11:16 PM
A wet set is the best way and the least damaging. You can do pin curls, rag curls, pink foam rollers on damp hair and sleep on it overnight. For hair that is really thick, straight, and healthy you need to put in a very strong hold hairspray after you separate and fluff up the curls. Otherwise I think flat iron curls last longer than curling iron curls but I hate flat irons. If you don't have the time you can do a wet set under a bonnet dryer or hot rollers with some mousse or something worked into your hair before and then hairspray after.

BlazingHeart
June 18th, 2011, 11:21 PM
My hair was stick-straight when I was a child. There was nothing that would set a curl in my hair - we tried wet-sets, hot-sets, shoot, I couldn't even get braidwaves to stay for more than an hour, even if I wet-set them.

If her hair is somewhat coarse, that may be the case for her. Some of us just can't hold a curl.

~Blaze

kidari
June 18th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I agree that coarse, striaght, super healthy hair doesn't hold a curl. I find unfortunately that in that case, some damage or dryness helps that type of hair to hold a curl but who wants that?

blondecat
June 18th, 2011, 11:27 PM
My hair was stick-straight when I was a child. There was nothing that would set a curl in my hair - we tried wet-sets, hot-sets, shoot, I couldn't even get braidwaves to stay for more than an hour, even if I wet-set them.

If her hair is somewhat coarse, that may be the case for her. Some of us just can't hold a curl.

~Blaze

Yes, her hair is course, stick straight, no volume, no body medium brown with a fair bit of grey comming in [ pretty colour]

blondecat
June 18th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Hrmphhh, we may need to try updos or plaiting. She has shoulder length hair.

blondecat
June 18th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Shes lucky I own plenty of hairtoys. We'll hive the updos a try.

Finoriel
June 19th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Ruling out experiments with super-glue or a perm :p I don't have much luck with waves or curls.
The only way I can make something resembling waves which lasts some hours is to:
- braid my hair (or whatever curlshaping method one wants to try)
- wet down the braid (think "dripping stuck in a rain storm"-wet)
- let it dry completely (during the day and the following night)
When I open the braids in the next morning I have waves which last - if air humidity is very low. If it's high humidity they will still stretch out pretty fast.
My hair is well moisturized in general, a straight hairtype and our climate is usually quite humid in summer (and too cold to do that in winter), so I'm out of luck for reliably lasting waves without perming my hair.

Best lasting waves I had was when I did braids for a long flight :lol: it rained when I got on the plane and then the air-condition had hours to suck all the moisture out of my hair.

blondecat
June 19th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Ruling out experiments with super-glue or a perm :p I don't have much luck with waves or curls.
The only way I can make something resembling waves which lasts some hours is to:
When I open the braids in the next morning I have waves which last - if air humidity is very low. If it's high humidity they will still stretch out pretty fast.
My hair is well moisturized in general, a straight hairtype and our climate is usually quite humid in summer (and too cold to do that in winter), so I'm out of luck for reliably lasting waves without perming my hair.

Best lasting waves I had was when I did braids for a long flight :lol: it rained when I got on the plane and then the air-condition had hours to suck all the moisture out of my hair.

Hmmm, I think she might object to me hosing her down then sticking her in front of aircon for hours at a time, just to experiment on hairdoos .

Id have a fun time tho :) lol

Fufu
June 19th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I do sock bun curls and hair twisting method, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foKhwrr0h-8&feature=related

I'm still figuring out to do this properly, can't seem to get curls but able to get some waves and make my hair more volumised, http://www.youtube.com/user/clothesencounters#p/u/35/dbYN9l5K2XY

Strangely, my hair doesn't curl well if I start with wet or damper hair. Best works for me when my hair is 90% dry.

To keep the curls for long, definitely need some hair spray. However, most of the time I just left it naturally.

Becky9679
June 19th, 2011, 01:50 AM

I don't have a problem holding waves from braiding but I've been increasingly worried about wet braiding recently because I've developed a bit of paranoia about handling my hair too much when wet.

It never occurred to me to braid first and THEN wet it! Thank you so much for that :D

mustpannkook
June 20th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Bee butt buns perhaps? They work for me, and are pretty much the only thing that will make my hair curly. The ends look weird, though, because I haven't trimmed over half a year...

luxepiggy
June 21st, 2011, 07:04 PM
You'll probably need to use styling wax instead of hairspray. Divide damp hair into sections and work a small amount of product into each section. Wrap each section around a roller and secure. When the hair is completely, 100% dry (for better results, leave overnight or blow dry on warm, followed by the Cool Shot) remove rollers and mist all over with hair spray, if desired.