PDA

View Full Version : Hair Lost After Detangle

Keepitgrowing29
June 18th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Curly Hair Girl...Detangled Wet..with what I consider to be plenty of conditioner...
Is this too much Hair Lost? If so suggested detangling methods? I just know detangling is holding me back from attaining length.

Vani1902
June 18th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I usually lose about that same amount. But it is usually hair shed (which is normal). When I detangle, I do my best to unsure that any hair that I lose is not breakage. I always detangle while my hair is wet and drenched in a good, slippery conditioner. Lately, I have been using my hands to detangle but sometimes I will use a wide toothed comb. The only way you could lose length from detangling is if the hair that you are losing is actual breakage. Just be really gentle when detangling. And to be sure, check your hairs. If they are long and have a little white bulb at the end, then it shed hair. If the white bulb is not there, then it could be breakage.
Here is a youtube video that might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0933yP3Ey8&playnext=1&list=PLF3EB84FD4F1DDA62
I hope this helps.

Mesmerise
June 18th, 2011, 08:54 PM
It's hard to say! It depends on how often you lose this amount of hair, and how many hairs are actually in the bunch. To me it looks reasonably typical because the hairs are fairly long and they're bunched pretty loosely.

It would probably be an idea to try and figure out exactly how many hairs are in the pile each time you detangle it.

Keepitgrowing29
June 18th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks Vani1902,

That makes total sense, ---->just bulbed hair here.

Vani1902
June 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks Vani1902,

That makes total sense, ---->just bulbed hair here.
Then, it is just a normal shed. Don't worry about it too much. From what I see, it looks normal. I lose that amount every time I wash my hair. I hate losing it but since it is just part of the body's process, I just try my best not to freak out. lol :)

Madora
June 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM
You can diminish some of the tangles by the way you use your wide tooth comb during the detangling process.

If you don't already, be sure to start to detangle by taking small sections of hair, and detangle by working up the strands, from the ends until you reach your scalp. Do it very slowly (curlies are very prone to snarling).

When you are finished detangling, do not toss/throw/fling your hair about. Take the detangled hair and gently place it behind your shoulders, then style as desired.

katsrevenge
June 18th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Looks normal to me. :) I get a fur ball like that every time I wash too.

How I have been detangling is under the running water in the shower with a pick. It seems to make me feel better about it anyways. Then, next day, I use the wide comb if I need too.

I know curlies aren't supposed to brush or comb dry... but I just can't get the hang of it!

Becky9679
June 18th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I don't have anything useful to add but this makes me feel a hell of a lot better about the amount of shed I have when washing!

beez1717
June 19th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I was getting worried that I was loosing too much hair but now I know it's normal to loose that much when you detangle. Yay! I'm not loosing my hair too badly :-)

UltraBella
June 19th, 2011, 12:28 AM
My hair ball after detangling is way bigger than that, I shed a whole bunch. I have never worried about it though and I don't think you should either, totally normal !

Athena's Owl
June 19th, 2011, 01:29 AM
that's not a large amount. you might be able to have less if you detangle your hair in the shower spray. it helped me quite a bit.

IanB
June 19th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Detangling had to be carried out very gently to avoid damage, finger combing first, stopping then teasing the tangle and finish of with a very wide toothed te-tangling comb.

Mesmerise
June 19th, 2011, 02:10 AM
If you ARE worried that you're losing too much hair, then it's a good idea to keep track of your circumference. If you measure it on a fairly regular basis, you'll get an idea of whether or not you're losing too much hair.

Sometimes you CAN shed too much for a variety of reasons, and this will show up by a smaller circumference. If you have a baseline, you'll have a better idea of what's normal or not!

I wish I'd known about measuring circumferences before having a massive shed myself...

PianoPlaye
June 19th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Whew! That looks pretty much like what I leave plastered to the shower cube wall (so I can check length more easily).
That's a relief &, now I know, I can check for bulbs. Hurray for TLHC!
Um, once I've got my hair partly dry, I do go back & clear down the shower...

Wavelin
June 19th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Finger or comb?

I usually spread conditioner trough the lenghts of my hair (after whatever wash I use), I use a lot on the parts where my hair is dry and tangly. Then I bend over and place my head between my knees, and shower a bit of cold water at the time while finger-detangeling. I continue until the conditioner is gone and my hair is detangled. Then I dryes it like that, upside down, in a scarf.

This works best after CO but also after sulfate-free shampoos.

Good luck!

Anje
June 19th, 2011, 09:41 AM
How long since you last combed/detangled your hair? If it's been a while, you can expect a bigger pile of sheds than if you do it daily.

I find I lose more hairs detangling wet with conditioner than I do detangling hair post-shower or when my hair is dry. No idea why, maybe I've got a crappy shower comb. Other people find the opposite, or can't detangle dry because hair breaks or gets poofy. Experiment a bit and find what works best.

CarpeDM
June 19th, 2011, 09:42 AM
That looks pretty normal to me...

ktani
June 19th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I do not think that you need to be concerned with that amount either.

Keep in mind the length of the hair too. Balled up like that, the hair can look like a larger amount, depending on the invidual hair length.

SilvraShadows
June 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM
It's all relative, isn't it? I have thin hair and that is about how much I lose on a heavy shed day... but it's like losing all my hair! Then there is UltraBella ...who has a gorgeous thick mane and that amount is a drop in the bucket!
:thud:

islandboo
June 19th, 2011, 10:37 AM
It's all relative, isn't it? I have thin hair and that is about how much I lose on a heavy shed day... but it's like losing all my hair! Then there is UltraBella ...who has a gorgeous thick mane and that amount is a drop in the bucket!
:thud:

Exactly!! I get so upset when I lose that much even though it isn't an abnormally large amount to lose. But I just don't have that much to spare!!

Keepitgrowing29
June 19th, 2011, 11:24 AM
You can diminish some of the tangles by the way you use your wide tooth comb during the detangling process.

If you don't already, be sure to start to detangle by taking small sections of hair, and detangle by working up the strands, from the ends until you reach your scalp. Do it very slowly (curlies are very prone to snarling).

When you are finished detangling, do not toss/throw/fling your hair about. Take the detangled hair and gently place it behind your shoulders, then style as desired.

Madora, My sister is going to love reading your post. She believes I detangle incorrectly. Were as I separate my hair into two sections and detangle...she believes I should use smaller sections. She will love to see that she is right. :)

LoversLullaby
June 19th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Definitely not a lot of hair ESPECIALLY if you only detangle wet.
It probably only looks like a lot because it's all bunched up. Don't worry a bit about it.
However, Madora's method of detangling really helps reduce the amount of breakage you get. I've noticed a significant decrease since trying it. :)

pinknika
June 19th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I would say that is pretty normal, after I get out of the shower and detangle my hair, depending on how long I waited in between washes, I can lose double that amount. My theory is, like say you wear your hair up for a while like a few days without washing, yeah i know lol, those hairs that natural shed from your head haven't escaped, so by the time you comb it all out your left with all these hair that you seem to think you have freakishly lost. Totally fine.

Madora
June 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Mr. Michael suggested detangling in small sections because working with less hair, you have more control over your detangling.COLOR]
[COLOR=#8b0000]
Now, if you just grabbed a large hunk of hair, and tried detangling it all at once, heaven only knows how many tangles are lurking in that large hunk!!

So, taking it slow..and doing the detangling in SMALL sections, is the name of the game to detangle gently.

Yes, I know..it IS time consuming, but the end result means less breakage! I'll drink to THAT!!