PDA

View Full Version : One possible downside to not cutting?

buttercupmcgee
June 18th, 2011, 07:23 PM
My last cut was in January, and my goal has been to abstain from cutting my collarbone length hair until 2012.

However, I'm noticing more and more that it refuses to hold a style. I just used curlers, which ordinarily produce very bouncy, shapely results....and my hair is...deflated. It's flat on top, especially, which is odd since the curlers usually produce lots of volume.

It seems especially unmanageable all of a sudden.

Everything else is normal...I washed this morning, air dried in a bun, and am now trying to get ready for a night out.

I do prefer layers in my hair...maybe the overgrown/unruly layers are causing the sag/shapelessness?

Am I totally nuts here? Could this be the culprit? Grrr! I'm worried this means I'll have to trim sooner than anticipated....I can't have lackluster hair. (And yes, I love/need to be able to wear it down:-))

Anyone have experience with this?

spidermom
June 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM
It does seem that when the shape of a cut grows out, it becomes hard to style. But to get long hair, you have to put up with a lot of this. You can always get a teeny little trim around the outside edges to give a bit more shape. I did that every 6-8 weeks while my pixie was growing out.

Another reason for cuts - controlling the amount of damage. A few split ends become a serious problem when I skip trims.

buttercupmcgee
June 18th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks Spidermom....I'm currently debating going in and requesting a layer refresh, and keeping the length. I have taken near perfect care of it since January, so there is no visible damage. I just wish it had more oomph!

How often do you trim?

UltraBella
June 18th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I often start to feel like my hair is blah when my layers grow out. Hence my giant chop at the beginning of the week. I really like the shape and movement the layers give my hair. I grew my hair to tailbone while maintaining layers, so it can definitely be done.
The other thing that causes the shapelessness for me is buildup. Have you clarified ? It can make a big difference !

buttercupmcgee
June 18th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I often start to feel like my hair is blah when my layers grow out. Hence my giant chop at the beginning of the week. I really like the shape and movement the layers give my hair. I grew my hair to tailbone while maintaining layers, so it can definitely be done.
The other thing that causes the shapelessness for me is buildup. Have you clarified ? It can make a big difference !

Ultrabella, I was hoping you would respond! :) I know you are something of a layers expert.

I use shampoo every 4 or so days, so I'm not really sure how to clarify beyond that? I've read that ACV is not for clarifying, and that's the only other thing I do--about once a month.

What would you recommend I use to clarify?

Also--how often did you freshen up your layers/ends while you were growing out your hair?

ETA--I responded to your original haircut post, but I loooove the new length. So swishy!

QueenJoey
June 18th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Maybe I should get my layers trimmed, too. You made me realize that my hairstyles don't stay as long as they used to, either. The only problem is scissor-happy stylists. You may have to count on them to take a few inches off your length as well as add layers.

By the way, different shampoos are formulated to do different things. Find one that says "clarifying" on the label, rather than "moisturizing" or "volumnizing" or something. And use that particular one at most once a week.

buttercupmcgee
June 18th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Ultrabella, I was hoping you would respond! :) I know you are something of a layers expert.

I use shampoo every 4 or so days, so I'm not really sure how to clarify beyond that? I've read that ACV is not for clarifying, and that's the only other thing I do--about once a month.

Also--how often did you freshen up your layers/ends while you were growing out your hair?

ETA--I responded to your original haircut post, but I loooove the new length. So swishy!

Maybe I should get my layers trimmed, too. You made me realize that my hairstyles don't stay as long as they used to, either. The only problem is scissor-happy stylists. You may have to count on them to take a few inches off your length as well as add layers.

By the way, different shampoos are formulated to do different things. Find one that says "clarifying" on the label, rather than "moisturizing" or "volumnizing" or something. And use that particular one at most once a week.

Thanks for the tip---my shampoo is Kiehl's Amino Acid shampoo, which is what they have at the gym. Not sure what it does!

I'm so stressed about the scissor happy thing! Maybe if I watch her like a hawk...?

whitestiletto
June 18th, 2011, 08:31 PM
i told a stylist to give my BSL hair a 1-inch trim and she gave me a cheekbone length bob :confused::( still crying about it 6 months later

The only problem is scissor-happy stylists. You may have to count on them to take a few inches off your length as well as add layers.

PianoPlaye
June 19th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I do not speak "Stylist". However, my mother does understand blackmail, so we cut each others hair & stay friends. :)
Can you get a friend you trust (and/or have a solid hold over) to microtrim then tell the stylist Nothing Off The Length?
Take an Observer?
Take this site on a smartphone & persuade stylist to read first & lay down the scissors?
Explain you tip in inverse proportion to the amount of hair removed?
Can't see where you're based OP but what is state law on concealed carry weapons?! ;)

Panth
June 19th, 2011, 08:03 AM

You can use most any shampoo that says 'clarifying' on it (they should be transparent, not pearlescent) or you can add baking soda to your existing shampoo ... although you'd have to ask around about the specifics of that, since I haven't tried that one.

I just use Pantene's Clarifying Shampoo - it has no cones, as it's clarifying, and harsh is kinda needed for clarifying. Just remember that it will wash away all build-up but also all your natural sebum plus most all of your treatments so a deep moisturising treatment is often needed after clarifying to reset the balance.

whitestiletto
June 19th, 2011, 08:43 AM

LOL I am definitely going to tell them that in seriousness next time I get my hair cut. I didn't give her any money at all, not even to pay for the cut. I left crying.

I really really really want to grow my hair out! It's important to me! Maybe only on this forum will anyone understand that's its REALLY actually important!

UltraBella
June 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM
OP, some clarifying shampoos are not as harsh as others. I use one meant to remove chlorine from swimmer's hair. It's by Paul Mitchell. It doesn't dry my hair out like some do. I condition afterwards.
*What shampoo and conditioner are you currently using ?
As far as my layers go, I trimmed them every 8 weeks approximately while growing my hair out. My hair grows really fast and my layers would need a bit of help :)

Okay, I saw what you are using for shampoo and it may be part of your issue. I would clarify and then switch to a different shampoo.

buttercupmcgee
June 19th, 2011, 09:21 AM

This got a big laugh!

buttercupmcgee
June 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the advice all...I'll pick up some clarifying shampoo today.

I decided to take the plunge and go in for a small trim today. I thought I could race toward my hair goal without maintaining its shape and style. But I've realized that it's not for me....I want to be able to enjoy each stage.

I also start a new job tomorrow, and the hair needs to be on point!

As for the trim...I'm going to ask her to start in the front so I can see how much she's taking off, and go from there.

I think if I am insistent, and ask her to show me how much she's trimming before she does it, then watch her while she does it, I should be ok.

I'll update with pictures tonight!

buttercupmcgee
June 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
OP, some clarifying shampoos are not as harsh as others. I use one meant to remove chlorine from swimmer's hair. It's by Paul Mitchell. It doesn't dry my hair out like some do. I condition afterwards.
*What shampoo and conditioner are you currently using ?
As far as my layers go, I trimmed them every 8 weeks approximately while growing my hair out. My hair grows really fast and my layers would need a bit of help :)

Okay, I saw what you are using for shampoo and it may be part of your issue. I would clarify and then switch to a different shampoo.

Every 8 weeks! That is encouraging. You're lucky your hair grows so fast My hair grows about .5 - .75/ inch a month, so I think half an inch or less off every 6 months won't matter in the long run.

When you would trim, would you just refresh the layers or dust the ends, too? How do you get your stylist to listen?

spidermom
June 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Last time I kept measurements, I discovered that my hair grows an average of 0.67 inch per month (faster some months, slower other months). I get it trimmed every 3-4 months, about 1/2 inch per trim. Of course, since my hair grows unevenly, that's an average. Some parts of the trim will be only 1/4 inch while faster-growing hairs get trimmed back an inch or more. The end result is a nice even hem in a slight U-shape.

Toad Squalor
June 19th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I got a trim a couple of days ago for the first time since August, and my hair needed about an inch taken off to even up the layers that got cut into it last time. I also had the stylist help me with transitioning overlong blunt angled bangs into a sweep style. Since I've got an interview this week, I feel that I can properly be polished looking and professional because my hair isn't all fairytale ends and wonky layers anymore. However, it did take the stylist a bit of negotiating with me to get an inch off, rather than the 1/2 inch I was angling for. It looks good, and I'm contemplating the idea of maybe having subtle layers once the hair is long enough to not give my under-canopy wurls too much play.

Emmental
June 19th, 2011, 12:18 PM
This is why I get my hair trimmed - it loses shape and just doesn't look good. For me, it happens almost every six months.

santie
June 19th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I'm experiencing this right now... I curled my hair the other day and within a couple of hours the curl had completely disappeared, which was strange because my hair normally holds curls really well! I think I'm going to trim my hair in a couple of weeks and have some new layers put in.

UltraBella
June 20th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Every 8 weeks! That is encouraging. You're lucky your hair grows so fast My hair grows about .5 - .75/ inch a month, so I think half an inch or less off every 6 months won't matter in the long run.

When you would trim, would you just refresh the layers or dust the ends, too? How do you get your stylist to listen?

I would trim ends and layers each time. My stylist works in a salon that I own, so she listens VERY well ;)
I can honestly say that all the gals I have working for me do a great job and they listen to their clients and it is an incredibly rare occasion for someone to be unhappy when they leave. I am so very thankful for that !

Dr. Girlfriend
June 20th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I know my hair starts to act up when my layers are growing out. Luckily I have a good friend who is a stylist and she does a good job of maintaining the layers without taking too much length