PDA

View Full Version : How to remove smoke smell from hair without washing?

Tomoyo
June 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Going to be in a smokey environment later tonight and don't want to keep washing my hair for every little thing; any way I can remove, or at least reduce, the smell of smoke without washing it again?

RitaCeleste
June 18th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I've hit mine with fabreeze, air freshener, perfume. Smoke clings, as a smoker, I really know its totally impossible to remove without washing it. But you could try Co-washing and skip the shampoo?

HairFaerie
June 18th, 2011, 04:24 PM
You could try a few drops of essential oils and a little jojoba oil and water in a spray mister bottle.
I use this all the time just because I like the subtle, natural fragrance it gives my hair! Patchouli & tangerine is a wonderful mix....

spidermom
June 18th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I don't think there is a way.

Xandergrammy
June 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I don't think there is a way.

I agree with spidermom.

sally_neuf
June 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM
unless you can stand under the sun for quite a bit with your hair spreaded, (that's how I inmediatly kill smoke smell from clothes without washing) I don't think you can't get away without washing!

DTsgirl
June 18th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Gotta wash it to really get rid of it.

gretchen_hair
June 18th, 2011, 05:32 PM
If you can wear your hair in a bun and in a scarf or covering, your hair won't get as smoky. I would also use some oil and bpal/perfume in your hair ahead of time, it will keep your hair smelling better than if you didn't use it. But only washing will get the nasty smell out.

RitaPG
June 18th, 2011, 05:50 PM
When I was a smoker, I tried to disguise the smell by putting a couple drops of my favourite conditioner + a little water on my hands and running it through my hair.
Depending on how strong the smell of your conditioner is, and how heavy the smoking is, it may or may not work very well.
But as everyone mentioned before, you can't really remove that smell without washing, it clings to hair like the devil!
If you're worried about shampooing too often because of potential dryness, you can always use conditioner instead (yes, just as if it was a shampoo)

pinknika
June 18th, 2011, 06:08 PM
You could try dry shampoo..batiste has an overwhelming fragrance and although i like it overall, it seems to mask a ton of yucky smelling stuff. But I think anything you put over the smoke smell, will still smell a little bit smoky.

jojo
June 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Bounce sheets you know the ones you put in the dryer? these work plus make you hair shiny!

Carolyn
June 18th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Sometime you just have to suck it up and wash it. If it stinks that bad then I would say wash it :shrug: Your other choice is to stay out of the smoke filled environment.

catholicteacher
June 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I recommend washing as well. Don't try to cover up the smell; both odors are usually notable. (I recall the first time I smelled patchouli without the undercurrent of pot; it actually seemed weird.)

curlymarcia
June 18th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Sunlight can take out cigar odor, try not more than a couple of minutes because UV can be hard on hair. It also works on clothes. Or you can wash your hair.

GRU
June 18th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Washing is the only thing that works for me.

Kaelee
June 18th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I'd say just wash it. Trynig to cover up the smell a) won't work very well b) whatever you put in to cover the smell (fabreeze? ewww) will likely make your hair worse/cause damage. It really won't hurt your hair to wash it if it smells bad. :)

EtherealOde
June 18th, 2011, 09:12 PM
The smell comes from the smoke particles which are oily and cling to the hairs. Really the only way to get rid of it is to wash your hair. You don't have to actually wash with shampoo unless you use coney products on your hair. You can remove the odors with a good CO wash. I've done it plenty of times after visiting my daughter and son-in-law, who both smoke like fiends. Every time I visit them, my clothes go in the washer as soon as I get home and I take a bath. I hate the smell of smoke, and can't stand smelling of it for any longer than absolutely necessary.

Sorry to say, just water rinsing isn't enough due to the nature of tobacco smoke. You need to use either conditioner or your normal shampoo routine to get rid of it.

gogirlanime
June 18th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Try rinsing your hair with coffee (that is if you don't mind replacing it with an undertone of coffee in your hair) coffee cancels out almost any smell (hence why you see coffee cups at perfume places) the caffeine on your scalp will also help reduce shedding, I did black tea and I went from losing 110 hairs a day to about 60 now :D or try essential oils, I find that because ylang ylang is so strong, it blanks out a lot of other smells.

julliams
June 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I used to find that wind does the trick so by that definition, perhaps blowing your hair with your dryer on cold might help? Then I would get some kind of strong smelling oil or serum and put it through your hair.

Personally though, I would just wash it as I can't stand that smell in my hair.

Tomoyo
June 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Fortunately I think this establishment has finally gotten around to banning smoking; although there was a little of that residual smell that any place has that used to allow smoking once, it was noticeably better than it usually is.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, guys! I have noticed in the past that being outside in the wind helps a little (whether it blows the smoke particles out, or blows a fresher scent in, I don't know), so maybe that coupled with a little sunlight will be my method in future.

Dr. Girlfriend
June 18th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I like to use Tigi After Party. Always works for me.

GRU
June 19th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Try rinsing your hair with coffee (that is if you don't mind replacing it with an undertone of coffee in your hair) coffee cancels out almost any smell (hence why you see coffee cups at perfume places) the caffeine on your scalp will also help reduce shedding, I did black tea and I went from losing 110 hairs a day to about 60 now :D or try essential oils, I find that because ylang ylang is so strong, it blanks out a lot of other smells.

Side note: Caffeine can also be absorbed transdermally, so use caution when applying it to your scalp if you are sensitive to caffeine.

defineinsanity
June 19th, 2011, 07:48 AM
not an awful lot of products than can totally mask the smell, but i'd advise some oils (as some can have quite a powerful smell) and purfumes over the top

JellyBene
June 19th, 2011, 10:52 AM
You could do a vinegar rinse? where I live there have been massive forest fires lately and the whol state smells like one big bonfire so every time I step outside, my hair absorbs the smoke scent like a sponge. I just do a vinegar rinse every time this happens and it seems to take care of it

MandyBeth
June 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Have to wash, and I am hyper sensitive to the stink, but it is still there with conditioner only. It's 95% less, but it's not gone.