PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times Have You Grown Your Hair Long

Dragon
June 18th, 2011, 04:16 AM
How many times have you grown your hair long?

This is my second time. The first time it got to apl but I had it cut because of how damaged it was.

CrystalStar
June 18th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Not including childhood, just the one. :) I've been growing it out for a few years now. :p I hopefully will never have to grow it long again!

IanB
June 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Once in the 60's, again in the 80's and now again in 2011

jel
June 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM
When I was a teenager and at Uni, I let my hair grow just because of laziness. I was colouring it, highlighting and perming (it was the 80s!) so it only grew to between BSL and waist. Then, when I got my first real job, I cut my hair into a "professional" bob. I kept it between jaw and shoulder length for a long time.

Then, 6 years ago I found this site and realised that I could have long hair, if I wanted to! And here I am, almost classic... :D

So, to answer your question, I've grown my hair long twice in my life, but only this last time has it been purposeful!

Shoga
June 18th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Second time for me if you count 4th grade, lol! I had my hair at TB when I was 9 (inch-wise though it was fairly short because I was too XD). Since then I mostly kept it around APL, until a couple years ago.

CastaDiva
June 18th, 2011, 06:03 AM
This is the first time, and every inch is a milestone:) I may cut back to BSL or waist though, but even that will be long for me compared to how short my hair has been most of my life.

pink.sara
June 18th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Neglected my teenage dreadlocks to knee, chopped to a bob. Grew to waist, choppe to a bob. Grew back deliberately to between hip and classic, bleached white and cut to a bob (there's a theme going here) and now growing from chin aiming for waist/hip.
So deliberately 3 times now. Hopefully this will be the last time I am tempted to bob it!!

dragonmyst
June 18th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I started once in hs after an awful haircut. My hair got to TB then I hacked it. Grew it back out to waist, hacked it, grew it to nearly waist then maintained at just above/below shoulder. So.... **counts** that makes this the fourth time I have grown out my hair.

The biggest difference is now I have this site, with all its wonderful information and I am no longer abusing my hair like I did before.

metricfuture
June 18th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Neglected my teenage dreadlocks to knee, chopped to a bob. Grew to waist, choppe to a bob. Grew back deliberately to between hip and classic, bleached white and cut to a bob (there's a theme going here) and now growing from chin aiming for waist/hip.
So deliberately 3 times now. Hopefully this will be the last time I am tempted to bob it!!
I don't think there's a hairstyle more suited to benign neglect than dreadlocks, it's the only way I've ever had my hair past BSL before. This is the first time I've ever actually tried to let my hair grow out, though.

Meli
June 18th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Just once - I was 13-14 years old when I decided to grow my hair and reached waist at 16. It has never been shorter than waistlength since then.

Mesmerise
June 18th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Oh gosh... I will have to count... I think I cut it when I was in Prep (first year of school) from hair that would have been APLish... then I grew it until Grade 3 when I cut it again, then I grew it until year 7 when I cut it again, then I kept it mostly short until I grew it long again by year 12, got it quite long, but ended up cutting it off cause of damage a couple of years later...chopped it really short at 21 and grew it long and kept it fairly long (it got to past BSL almost waist, and it fluctuated between there and APLish while I had kids), then had another short cut at 30, grew it long and then cut it SL at 35 (more damage) and have been growing it ever since.

So let me see...that's about 5 times? Although in that time period I've sort of had cycles where I've "grown" it without chopping it all off... so I think I've only counted the times where I chopped it significantly and then grew, rather than chopped it to say APL and then regrew...in which case I could add a few more times!

Oh and let me add...I've NEVER given my hair enough time to get super long! The longest was about waist at 19 but it was super damaged. Most of the time I'd reach mid back before damage or something would make me chop it. Hopefully THIS time I am developing some patience!!

Firefly
June 18th, 2011, 07:17 AM
In my adult life, twice. The first time my goal was waist and I made it that far, kept it that way for a while, then cut to shoulder length. I realized soon after that I missed my long hair, that it was unique (around here) and so much easier to take care of. I'm back at waist now, and plan to go to hip. I don't intend to ever cut it again. I want to be one of those little old ladies with long silver locks!

bunzfan
June 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
First time i was in school and then in 2007 i started growing a crop out but it stalled a t shoulder for years!!

Lostsoule77
June 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I'd say twice. Once from birth to around five when my neighbor decided I should have a bob like her (she was also 5). We sat in the bed of my other neighbor's pickup and took her scissors, and yes they were child safety scissors, and cut my hair into a bob. LOL Once my mother fixed the cut I've pretty much grown it since. I have cut it since then, but it's always been within what most people consider long - between apl and tbl.
Now I've found this wonderful site and I'm taking better care of it and thinking of getting it down to classic and seeing how I feel. :)

HappyMuser
June 18th, 2011, 08:04 AM
This is my second time. The other time was a couple of years ago, when it got to BSL+ before I cut it because of damage. I'm more careful with my hair this time :p

UltraBella
June 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I have had five big chops in my life, the rest of the time my hair was long. I am not counting when I was a small child and my mother did whatever she wanted to my hair.
My shortest hair was SHORT, I remember that being a giant pain to grow out. Second shortest style was just above my collar bones. The rest were longer. This is the shortest my husband has ever seen my hair, so for the past 8 years it was long.

pixiestar
June 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM
In the 80's and 90's I had long hair between bsl and waist. Cut it when I had the children, and had a bob on off for quite a few years. It was about bsl in 2005-06. And started growing again after last cut in Nov gone:)

alyanna
June 18th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I had disastrous short hair as a child because for some reason my mother loves short curly hair. To me, it always looked frizzy and plain nasty. Mother always insisted I brush it too, so imagine 3b hair short and brushed. Not a pretty sight :rolleyes:

Finally clued in when I was about 14 that my hair needed to be long, so I grew it long and it stayed that way until after I had my first DD at 29. During those 15 years my hair was always between APL and BSL. I had only 2 chops in between, one was a short, super-layered cut that was an absolute catastrophe, made my hair look really thin. The second chop was a short, retro bob (à la Rene Zellwegger in Chicago) which I really liked.

I only had all-one-length BSL hair for about a year or two when I was 17-18. I'd really like to get that back and try for a bit longer.

Nago
June 18th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Never! THis is the first time that I attemp to have it longer than BSL. With pacience...

CoconutLover
June 18th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I'm going to say twice. Once I got to BSL with healthy hair never dyed, and I chopped into a horrendous style with short, choppy layers. :(

Now I'm UBL (between SL and APL), but I am determined to reach my goal of waist with healthy hair thanks to LHC!

DuckyDot
June 18th, 2011, 08:41 AM
My childhood hair was at waist I think, and that's it. I chopped my Long lovely hair at 10 to shoulder length, then grew to about APL then chopped into a Short bob, now I'm growing again :) I'm at BSL right now, and today in the shower I notice that i'm only 2.5 inches away from waist when wet! :D

elbow chic
June 18th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I tried to grow mine out in high school. Got to probably APL or thereabouts and it just turned into a huge overwhelming fuzzball. Probably partly insufficient conditioning/moisturizing, partly unrealistic expectations...

I always compared my hair to my Filipino friends, whose long straight black hair seemed to fall perfectly with no effort. It never seemed like my hair would ever measure up. It doesn't fall so much as... float. :p

Now I feel that different kinds of hair are just different, not "better" or "worse."

QueenJoey
June 18th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Fourth including childhood. I got my first haircut when I was 6 to apl (of course then I just called it shoulder). I let it grow out till I was 9, then had about 3 haircuts that progressively made my hair shorter and shorter until it was a bob. Let it grow until 7th grade, then my mom mess up cutting and I had to get a bob shorter than my previous one. It's been 3 years since that one and I've just been getting layers and bangs.

This is the longest my hair as ever been. My hair was mid-back before my first haircut, and I never allowed it to grow back to that length until now.

TheMechaGinger
June 18th, 2011, 09:39 AM
This has been my third or fourth time since I was 11. When I was really young I never cut my hair so it was about waist and then I cut it to chin and then by 13 it grew almost to waist and then I bobbed it so by 17 it grew back out to waist but it was heavily damaged so I chopped it back to apl to grow it again, this time to at the very least hip. And hopefully it stays that length.
I don't know I was just never interested in long hair before, never noticed it on others of anything like that. Never bothered to know how to really care for it. Now it crosses my mind several times a day haha go figure

GoatLady
June 18th, 2011, 09:42 AM
This is my 3rd (and last) time. I had long hair in my late teens-early 20's (back in the 70's), then again in my late 30's (90's). Unfortunately I did not know how to do up-do's and ended up cutting my waist length hair to keep it out of the way. Thanks to this forum and my new hair toy addiction, I won't have that problem any more.

ifthemoonsmiled
June 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
It depends on the definition of long. I cut my hair in early high school to a chin length bob, missed it long & let it grow for the rest of HS. Got to about BSL, which at the time still felt pretty short to me, since I was trying to recover my hair that'd always been in the waist/hip region. This was also during the worst of my dye experimentation so the hair was mysteriously not as nice as I remembered my long hair... :s

So I cut it up to shoulder, then later that year went through a bad break up & chopped it even more to a very short pixie. I let it grow to nearly APL after that, but put dreads in it along the way. They got annoying, especially as I was a smoker then & they were these greasy dry pieces hanging in my face that kept catching fire when I'd light up...!

That was my second chop to pixie & the best haircut I've ever gotten. I maintained it a while, grew it to UBL, but got impatient with how long my hair felt (see how definitions change...) & cut it again. Started the grow-out process a couple times since but never made it past a bob. So I guess that's 3 (very complicated) times.

spidermom
June 18th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Once - this time. I've grown it to somewhere around BSL before, but I'm not going to count that.

luthein
June 18th, 2011, 10:17 AM
This will be my third time growing my hair past BSL, if you don't count my childhood. I wish I would have tried pixie hair before this time.

KittyLost
June 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I've actively grown my hair twice. The first time I found this site 5years ago and lurked a bit and read and cut my layered hair to APL with no layers and grew it to just reaching BSL with layers where I then decided straightening my hair would make it longer. I wasn't really taking LHC seriously at this point. A year later I cut it to Shoulder and layered to get rid of damage and loved it, then cut to an a-line bob and loved it for about a month. I started actively growing my hair long for the second time in April 2011 because I miss the easiness of long hair and my curls and people playing with my hair and the length swishing across my back. Sigh, it's been a long time!

I'm growing my hair long properly now and taking notice of LHC. I'm curious to see how long it will grow with the proper care as it's never really been longer than just reaching BSL by like a teeny tiny milimetre or something from the first time round I grew my hair.

gthlvrmx
June 18th, 2011, 10:38 AM
this is my...second time? First time, the moment i said i wanted floor length hair like cousin It my parents laughed at me and said "No", so i maintained at shoulder and around there. 8 Years later I'm growing it out as far as it can go and reaching new lengths!

Speckla
June 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM
3 times. When I was 21, 27, and 34 to present.

Babyfine
June 18th, 2011, 10:56 AM
never had my hair longer than AL or APl until I found LHC.
I've grown out 3 or 4 pixies over my life(Never again a pixie, never)
got my last short boy-pixie cut at age 35(1991) kept for 2 years. Grew that out to SL in 1993.
SL to BSL in 1994.
Cut to a layered SL style in 1995-kept SL then grew to BSL 2003
Cut to a chin lengthed bob in 2003 found LHC in 2004
grew to BSL till 2007 cut to SL
grew back out to about 3" below BSL
cut to SL jan 2011-slowly growing back out.

McFearless
June 18th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I used to have really long hair. A hair stylist cut it to shoulder against my request. With curly hair that = an afro. I began flat ironing it to combat the triangle head and that gave me so much damage that my hair remained collarbone length for years. After ditching heat tools my hair has grown to waist, and with no trims too.

So I guess you could say I've been trying to grow out my hair for years..but you could also say that this is the first time I've actually done the things it takes to grow out hair.

growingpains
June 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM

Wow you've had some crazy variation in length. I've only had one big change in my life and that was when I cut my approx APL hair to pixie at age 14.

Since growing that out my hair has consistently generally been between APL and BSL. When I was 17 I grew to MBL because of forgetting to cut it, got sick of damage, chopped back to APL-BSL. When I was 20 I was too cheap to get a hair cut and it grew to MBL+ again. Was there for a year or so before I got dye happy and lost length again. When I was 25, it again got almost as long as MBL, intentionally this time, but cut back to SL/APL in 2009. I've been growing since then.

So, I've grown it to MBL 4 times including now. But it's not that big of a change for me considering my hair has most my life been between APL and BSL. For some reason I can't get past MBL though or it looks like crap. damage. :(

jojo
June 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM
This is the first time ive gone for ultra long but 90% of my life my hair has been apl to bsl. Short hair does me no favours!

tinywife
June 18th, 2011, 11:11 AM
If I reach my goal, it'll be the third time I've been past BSL, the second time I've reached waist, and the first time I've been longer than waist.

Proximity
June 18th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Three times I think....

I had about shoulder length until I was 7 and then asked my mum to cut it short and she got scissor happy and I ended up with a boys cut :(

Then I grew it until I was 12 and got it cut into a very short bob and got a perm :run:

Then grew it to APL until I was 21 and got a pixy then grew to APL and got another pixy at 27 and have been growing it ever since. NO MORE PIXY CUTS!!

And I'm going to get my hair past APL too. I used to think anything longer than waist was too long, well that was pre-LHC ;) Now I think I might aim for hip length :cheer:

trolleypup
June 18th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Once. Grew out to shoulder lenght-ish once I figured out it annoyed my Mom...then eventually decided to stop trimming and grew out to terminal and have stayed there.

curlymarcia
June 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Never, this is my first attempt for long hair. I always had hair from the ears to just below shoulder length.

MonaLisa
June 18th, 2011, 12:04 PM
i've kinda always had long hair, since i can remmeber it at least.
only cut it to chin length bob once when i was 5.
I'd love to know how short hair looks and feels like on me..
but i just feel long hair is right for me...damn the curiousity..
might buy a bob wig :D

RitaCeleste
June 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Its been this long three times, age 17, age 26, and now age 37. At 17 it was blond and totally fried, had to cut a lot off. At 26 it was virgin hair and I HATED being all natural. I started to color it and cut it back to bra strap length. Didn't like any of my hair styles so it got this long again by default. I don't have any better ideas for styles for me. My face is plain and high fashion styles just look out of place on me. I'll let it get as long as can while I continue to color the mess out of it!:cheese:

pink.sara
June 18th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Wow you've had some crazy variation in length. I've only had one big change in my life and that was when I cut my approx APL hair to pixie at age 16.

It used to grow really fast! In my teens and early to mid 20's my hair would grow an inch a month or sometimes even more. It made roots and dying a nightmare but it meant I could grow a chin length bob to waist in 3 years. Now it grows so slow I'm looking at 4 years I think. I much prefer my hair at waist though.

Cowgirl16
June 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM
1. I had long hair as a kid until 7th grade, then cut it to shoulder length.
2. I grew my hair to tailbone in my mid 20's; postpartum = cut to bob, kept hair short for several years.
3. I grew my hair to waist in my late 30's; between bad dyes and divorce I cut to BSL, stayed there for several years getting my hair into better condition.
4.I grew my hair to waist (again) in my mid 40's; "misunderstanding at hairdressers :() and cut to BSL
5. growing hair to ??? in my late (ehm) 40's;

So at least 5 times that I can remember :cool:

celebriangel
June 18th, 2011, 04:18 PM
My hair was always between APL and BSL before I cut it to pixie. This is my first attempt to grow it out longer than that (I didn't realise longer was actually *possible*).

ArienEllariel
June 18th, 2011, 04:23 PM
my very first time.

SpeakingEZ
June 18th, 2011, 05:39 PM
This will be my fourth. I started growing it long from birth, then my mom cut it when I was 6, then I got it cut when I was 12, and now I'm growing it out from terrible, terrible damage I caused when I was 20/21. So, four times, although if it were up to me it this would only be the second.

TheLurkingToad
June 18th, 2011, 05:43 PM
This is my first time. I don't know if I can say if i just started or I've been growing for a while though. My hair has been long for a long time but it originally started to grow because I never really liked haircuts. Recently I got a trim and decided to take better care of it. Now I want to be at classic and possibly beyond. I am leaning towards it being recent because now I really want long hair and before my long hair was a byproduct of not liking haircuts.

Ermine
June 18th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Throughout my childhood and early teens, my hair was always longish (anywhere from shoulder to APL) but other than that, never.

pinknika
June 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Too many!! LOL. Its not like I want to chop off my hair. But I always manage it to grow it just above BSL then fry it with styling and damage it, making all the ends split up the shaft then have to chop it. BUT not this time...nooo waaayyy! I am committed to growing past that hopefully 6 more inches. But lets see I have grown my hair out at least 8 times throughout my short life.

Hotrox
June 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
This is the first time I am consciously growing it long. I think it was just a little longer than it is now in my early 20's, but seems this was just due to benign neglect and university life :p

Nymphea
June 18th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Well, I've had my hair long for most of my life - but of course, it depends on what do you consider as "long". Basically, the shortest I've ever had is right above the shoulders, and the longest was classic when I was 11. So my first chop was drastic and against my will - from classic to shorter than SL. I was 12 years old then and I hated it. Since then I grew it to TB, but self-trimmed to BSL when I was 20 because of the damage. Then I grew it again to waist and chopped back to APL because of the damage, again. I was 25 then, I think. I grew it once more to TBL and cut back to waist - I needed change, I suppose, and that was a really fresh start for my ends.

Then I've found LHC and I'm growing again to TBL. Wish me luck!

That makes the fifth growth now - if you count growing from "longish" to long. I do. ;)

Toiréasa
June 18th, 2011, 07:08 PM
This is going to be my first time that I have made it a goal to grow my hair to my waist. My Mom always kept my hair short as a child and in my teen's & adult life it has been anywhere from SL to BSL oh and a Posh 2 1/2 years ago.

Autumn
June 18th, 2011, 07:56 PM
At least three. I first grew it out long in late elementary school, and then cut it in middle school. I kept it a little past shoulder length for several years and then started growing it out again at the end of high school. When it got to classic (my first year in grad school), I cut it back to BSL. Now I am growing it out again from there. Its about tailbone now.

silverjen
June 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM
This is my third time, where short = pixie, and long = anything below shoulder length.

MissCoco
June 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I've grown my hair at about waist-hip length twice in the past. Now, I'm back at BSL and I'm not cutting back ever again (or at least, not further up than waist)!

BlazingHeart
June 18th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure I can get anything resembling an accurate total without looking at photographs. I've bounced between short and long since I was 11 or so. My hair grows very fast (now averages about 1"/month, used to be more like 1 1/2"/month), so it doesn't take me long to grow out a short cut. I've pretty much let my hair grow to waist or hip and then cut it back to a bob or shorter.

Becky9679
June 18th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I don't tend to consider my own hair 'long' unless it's past waist, so that means I've only really had it long once before. However I've only had it cut above APL three times in my life so it's always been kinda long-ish and others would probably think it was long.

Masara
June 19th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Since, childhood, this must be my third time.
I decided I wanted long hair in my mid teens, got to around waist and then cut to a (very nice) bob at uni. After a year or so with the bob, I decided to grow again, got to aaound waist and then cut back to a pixie. I had various short cuts for the next 12 years and then decided to grow to shoulder, found LHC and kept moving my goal....

There seems to be a pattern of getting bored and cutting back when I get to waist. I think the larger range of updos LHC has given me has helped a lot with that.

If I want to be completly honest, I think that short haircuts actually suit me better, physically. But longer hair suits me better as a person. Now, I have enough confidence in myself to go with what feels comfortable.

Princess89
June 19th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I have always wanted long hair. My mum always tried to get me to grow it longer when I was growing up but it was slow and it would get damaged easily just from me not wanting to wear it up and being not very gentle to it. So I've always had between chin and maybe nearly APL a couple of times. I'm excited to get past APL and enjoy every millimetre after that :)

maybe sparrow
June 19th, 2011, 02:07 AM
I've hit waist/mid-back length three times before now at 17, 19, and 25. This is probably the longest it's been.

Jcv-Shelley
June 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Oh jeez like at least 4-5 times already XD

flourish
June 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I had hair at waist length in my sophomore year of high school....chopped it off in a vain attempt to control the curl and frizz. Then I grew it out again in college to BSL length but chopped it off while studying abroad because I couldn't deal with the length in the humid Japanese summer heat. That was in 2007. I started growing it out again and got back to that length and then cut it above my chin this January at my boyfriend's urging. Now that I'm single again I'm doing what I want and aiming for waist length.

Sweetie
June 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM
this is definetely my first time....hope I won't give up, since I'm in the BSL stall!!!

Ligeia_13
June 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Um...never :p which is why I'm convinced its never going to.

oktobergoud
June 19th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Two times.. although it depends on what you call 'long'.
First try I got to APL. Dyed my hair pitch black for years, decided I wanted platinum. Well, uh, needless to say, it was destroyed. Had pixies ever since, grew it out to chinlength once... that's it!

Now I'm growing it out again :) After 4 years of various pixies I have truly enough of it!

CaityBear
June 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
This is the second time. First time it was to waist or hip then cut to shoulder length (I wanted to cut to chin but my mom thought I would regret it and made me cut to shoulder. I later cut to chin length and loved it) now I'm growing it out. Then cutting to chin sometime because I want to (and to get henna out) then growing out again with my natural hair colour then I'm planning on just sticking around tailbone. Or growing as long as I can first....then maintaining around TB.

defineinsanity
June 19th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I've always had fairly long hair well medium really... but this is the first time i'm aiming for reaaally long, hopefully hip-length