PDA

View Full Version : new growth and it looks awful

jojo
June 18th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I have the fuzzies bad, new growth that is. It is too long to slick down with AVG and too short to fit it in a bun.

It reaches the bottom of my ears and is irritating the hell out of me. Its coarse and wiry like new hair is and is definitely new growth as the ends are tapered. It just looks like a bush and almost as if I have 2 heads of hair.

My camera battery is charging but i will post a photo after to show you what I mean.

Any ideas of how I get through this annoying stage?

CrystalStar
June 18th, 2011, 03:39 AM
The only way I could think of other than aloe vera gel is maybe to comb it down with water/aloe vera gel and keep combing it down when wet so it lies flat?

Other than that all I can suggest is snoods, scarfs, and headbands!

bunzfan
June 18th, 2011, 04:00 AM
When i had that sort of growth due to MN i used boots curl cream to smooth them down it worked.

Dragon
June 18th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I'm not sure if this would work but I have herd of people using conditioner instead of styling gel on there hair when its dry to smooth there updos.

jel
June 18th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I'd suggest something thicker than AVG, like shea butter or Fox's conditioning creme (a mixture of shea butter, coconut oil and conditioner).

Shea really helps keep my frizzies down - when I remember to use it! ;) And it doesn't grease up my roots. I just use a pea-sized amount, rub it between my palms and smooth them down my hair.

Charlotte
June 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I have this too Jojo! At first I thought that I had a lot of broken hair around the top of my ear level but on closer inspection found that the ends are all tapered as well; so definately new growth. I should be happy, but it "looks" like broken hair. :rolleyes: :o :blossom:

Panth
June 18th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Mix coconut oil and aloe vera gel 1:1 and use as a gel?

Otherwise, invest in a buff or a bandana?

UltraBella
June 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
There's that new product, shoot........what was it called ?!? It's like a mascara wand with gel on it for your hair. You put your hair up and then use it to keep the crazies tamed.
Waiting patiently for your pic..........

GeoJ
June 18th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I either wear a bandanna or scarf, or I do double Dutch or French braids with oiled hair. Wide headbands also help, but they never stay put unless I use tiny jaw clips on their edges.

terpentyna
June 18th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Wrap a satin or silk scarf when your hair is still damp over whatever leave in product you like, and leave it overnight. Make sure it's secured well though.

spidermom
June 18th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Styling wax, pomade, or putty. My favorite is Natures Gate Styling Putty because it's non-greasey, a little goes a long way, it really holds, but I can comb through it later.

McFearless
June 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I have that too. I just pretend they don't exist for the sake of my sanity.

ange1ito
June 18th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I try to style my hair with the Organix hair oil with coconut in it. It has some silicones and I tend to wear my hair wavy these days but I really don't care if they are noticeable as I just keeping thinking yey...at last new growth!

ratgirldjh
June 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I have these too however they are like 2 inches long now and sort of stay back. When they were 1/2 inch long they just stuck straight out! I also thought they were broken hairs - but looked and noticed I had them everywhere!

I am just glad I'm getting new hairs and will gladly suffer through this ;)

I know that is no help :D

Eolan
June 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM
You have already got alot of suggestions, but I'm still adding mine: glycerin/glycerol! It works great for taming my frizzies! I take only a drop or two and mix it with aloe gel. Aloe only does not work for me, but the glycerol added actually makes the sticky ones lie down.

jojo
June 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thank you all for your replies. AVG doesnt help as the fuzzies are too long, if anything it makes them spiral and stick up more; my daughter said I look like a walking spring onion! talking of which Emma has gone to a party and sneaked the camera, but i have a photo on there.

Im gonna try the Fox's conditioning creme and the putty stuff though i hate products like this, im desperate!

thanks again all of you xx

Xandergrammy
June 18th, 2011, 04:47 PM
There's that new product, shoot........what was it called ?!? It's like a mascara wand with gel on it for your hair. You put your hair up and then use it to keep the crazies tamed.
Waiting patiently for your pic..........

Really? Gee... this would be great, but I'd have to hope that it came with a gallon jug refill. :gabigrin:

Xandergrammy
June 18th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I have that too. I just pretend they don't exist for the sake of my sanity.

this is actually what I do, too, jojo. Some hair can just not be tamed.

x0h_bother
June 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Tip from me: try using a teeny tiny toothed eyebrow/eyelash comb (these are usually attached to a thicker bristle eyebrow brush and a thin longish handle). This helps keep my babyhairs mixed in with the rest of my head, espcially around my ears. And if you don't mind it, the teeniest bit of hairspray on the comb helps.

jacqueline101
June 18th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I feel for you I have new growth sticking up at my part line. I look like Buckwheat off the Little Rascals.

jojo
June 18th, 2011, 05:18 PM
this is actually what I do, too, jojo. Some hair can just not be tamed.

I think I am one of those, on a positive note its very thick and strong just untameable!

HairFaerie
June 18th, 2011, 05:26 PM
How about a boar bristle brush? That usually helps slick mine down, at least the ones on top by my scalp. My hair is short right now though...

MandyBeth
June 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Mine does the same. I'm trying Gladtobemom's Tub-O-Snot, and I still have fuzzies, but at least it doesn't look like half my hair is fuzzing up.

jojo
June 21st, 2011, 05:35 PM
How about a boar bristle brush? That usually helps slick mine down, at least the ones on top by my scalp. My hair is short right now though...

I use a mason pearson bbb twice a day the hairs are too curl for even the bbb to tame

jojo
June 21st, 2011, 05:36 PM
I have been french braiding which catches the little horrors, hopefully in a month or 4 they will all fit back in a bun. thanks to everybody

Kdc0180
July 1st, 2011, 11:50 PM
I feel your pain. It seems like I always have a halo of frizzy hair when it's wet or humid. When I get out of the pool my friends have now taken to call me "nappy head". Blame my constant hair growth...

Xandergrammy
July 2nd, 2011, 07:43 AM
I'm trying Gladtobemom's Tub-O-Snot, and I still have fuzzies, but at least it doesn't look like half my hair is fuzzing up.

Is this what it's really called??? :rollin: Why have I not heard of this promising sounding stuff before??

angelthadiva
July 2nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
I have the same problem. Thankfully I wear my hair up nearly all.the.time.--At least while out in public. I usually slick back the baby hairs with a bit of water/AGV and smooth them down with a fine tooth comb and/or a BBB. I'm a wurly girl so any amount of moisture/humidity I'm dealing with springs on my head by mid-day, so I've taken to using a bit of hairspray to keep things under control. I recheck throughout the day when I'm in the bathroom to make sure all is well. If things are NOT well, I just reactivate the hairspray/AGV with damp palms and smooth everything out. It is really no different than dealing with the growing pains of bangs, I agree though it is a pain.

FWIW, I do believe mine is new growth too. I began using a satin pillowcase about 18 months ago, that's when I noticed the halo hairs being more pronounced. Sometimes rather than fighting with the halo hairs, I will just let them be. They are in that in-between stage where if left alone they are soft curls around my face. I do manipulate them a bit so the curl patterns match, but really after that, I leave them alone.

ravenreed
July 2nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
I shed constantly so I always have these. Using SLS shampoos made them frizzier and more prone to standing straight up.