PDA

View Full Version : No Help On My Previous Page, HELP!

Mina_Harker
June 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Okay so I wrote a post earlier called "GUYANA HAIR" and no one had suggestions so I will rephrase my question. I have been given the wonderful opportunity to spend 2 months in Guyana and despite the many wonderful things that come with being here, the tap water quality is just plain TERRIBLE. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestion on some natural hair treatments using the resources I have available to me to prevent my hair from having to have a major TLC trip when I get home. I don't really know how to use coconuts for my hair and those are certainly available to me. Any suggestion would be great.
Mina

QueenJoey
June 17th, 2011, 08:17 PM
ooh, sounds fun! Umm, if you know how to break open a coconut, you can use the milk as a conditioner. maybe? Maybe the meat for a deep treatment. I have no clue what to do about protecting your hair from the water, as I don't really know anything about water quality, let alone hair care for the specific types of water.

AnnaJamila
June 17th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Why don't you find some local women and ask them? I can't give you any advice besides that; scope out a shop that sells women's clothes or beauty products and ask them. If you can't find one of those, next time you see a woman with lovely hair cross your fingers and see if she can give you any advice!

Hope you can find something to save your hair!

JuliaDancer
June 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM
You don't need to use an actual coconut, but there should be plenty of stores that sell coconut oil. Guyana has a large Indian population, and Indians often use coconut oil for their hair. But I agree that asking the people who live there is a good way to go.

HoneyJubilee
June 17th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Could you take a shower filter with you? They work pretty much like a filter pitcher for drinking water. Mine is small and works with most shower heads.
Depending on where you'll be staying this might be a possible solution to the bad tap water.

virgo75
June 17th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Overly ripe avocados and honey make for an excellent hair treatment.
They both might be available where you are.

Otherwise, I 2nd the suggestion to ask other ladies who are native to the area. It could also give you a chance to learn more about the people there. :)

Seharia
June 17th, 2011, 10:49 PM
If the water quality is bad shouldn't you be preventing mineral buildup? I'm not sure how to do this as it hasn't been much of a concern for me but perhaps using ACV rinses? and I read somewhere that a quick fix if you can't get a water softener is adding salt to water but I can't imagine this could be healthy for hair in long term use.

jojo
June 18th, 2011, 03:14 AM
no no salt is very very drying never use salt!

how about distilled water buying some bottles while your over there, it makes my hair very soft!