PDA

View Full Version : How to cut layers?

BeatlesFanGirl
June 17th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Hey Guys, many of you can sef trim your hair, can you please give me some advice how to cut your own layers? I want them because my hair is abit less thicker on the sides. I dont want to go to a stylist because I hardly ever get the result I want. Thank you a lot!! :):)

jojo
June 17th, 2011, 02:33 PM
The only self trimming layer method i know is to put your hair in a high pony, twist the ends and trim.

Valdeon
June 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
That depends on what kind of layers you want.

Here is a pretty good tutorial on a layered look. I cut my hair for almost a year using this method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3X_KmWLFOI

Slinks
June 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I ordered this http://www.creaclip.com/ and got it last week .. I haven't used it yet and I won't use it for layers, as I don't want layers but it will help you cut layers .. the link has clips, it's a really nifty looking thing(s) check it out .. I've scheduled myself to use it in September, for a trim .. :-)

spidermom
June 17th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I've done the method of making a ponytail on top of my head and then sliding a 2nd pony-holder toward the ends until I got to the point where I wanted to cut, cutting straight across (scissors at 90-degree angle from hair). My layers blended so well that no one could tell I had them.

TinaDenali
June 17th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I cut my own hair into long layers.

What I do is bend forward, comb all my hair down over my head and gather it at my forehead. I then cut the ends straight across. You can play with combing the sides straight down to meet at the forehead or combing them around the back of your head... I hope that makes sense.

When I do this, I always grab a small section of my hair at the lowest part at my nape - these are my longest hairs. I put that to it's end and asses how much I can chop without cutting into my length.

I've been cutting my hair this way for about a year and I LOVE it! I've gotten numerous comments on it and people are always surprised I've cut it myself.

spidermom
June 17th, 2011, 05:01 PM
When I do this, I always grab a small section of my hair at the lowest part at my nape - these are my longest hairs. I put that to it's end and asses how much I can chop without cutting into my length..

This is what I did, too. I didn't want to lose length, only some crispy dry ends from my canopy mostly.

UltraBella
June 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
It really depends on what type of layers you want. For example, I have LOTS of layers and they blend from my bangs to my longest lengths. You can't give yourself these types of layers. If you want layers that just effect you bottom few inches of hair, this is much more do-able. Do you have a pic of the look you are going for ?

kidari
June 17th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I've been cutting my own hair in layers for a year and a half based upon youtube videos. Judging from pictures though it looks way better in the front than it does in the back (go figure lol). The ones that I personally found helpful are by JayJayTutorials, Bebexo, and rosebud143. They each have videos on how they cut their own hair. Don't do it if you don't trust yourself! I've been cutting my own bangs and face framing layers for years and years even when I got mine cut at a salon.

Kathie
June 17th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I cut my own hair into long layers.

What I do is bend forward, comb all my hair down over my head and gather it at my forehead. I then cut the ends straight across. You can play with combing the sides straight down to meet at the forehead or combing them around the back of your head... I hope that makes sense.

When I do this, I always grab a small section of my hair at the lowest part at my nape - these are my longest hairs. I put that to it's end and asses how much I can chop without cutting into my length.

I've been cutting my hair this way for about a year and I LOVE it! I've gotten numerous comments on it and people are always surprised I've cut it myself.

I do something similar with just the front portion of my hair so I can create face-framing layers. I section the hair from just behind my ears forward and then cut straight across. I take a centimetre at a time off so I don’t make a mistake. When my hair is long enough, and if its thick enough, I’m planning to do all my hair too.

BeatlesFanGirl
June 18th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks a lot for your replies!! :)
@Valdeon: I watched the video, but she's using a razor which i don't want to use on my own hair. Thank you for your advice anyway!

@UltraBella: first of all, your hair is just amazing!! No, I dont want short layers, just a few inches shorter in the front/side, I dont want layers in the back. Something like that:

http://www.okhairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/style-layered-hairstyles-2.jpg

just a bit longer since my hair is at waist:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/Leia9/CIMG2313.jpg

BeatlesFanGirl
June 18th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Another pic:

http://static.becomegorgeous.com/gallery/pictures/katieholmes_hairstyle1gallery.jpg

Valdeon
June 18th, 2011, 03:26 AM
she's using a razor which i don't want to use on my own hair.

I understand completely. It is possible to mimic the razoring effect with really sharp shears but that requires a lot of experience. The result is totally worth it, though.

Anyway, good luck with finding your way! :)

xoxophelia
June 18th, 2011, 04:07 AM
So you basically just want it angled in the front? The is luckily very easy to do. I do it to myself because I have been growing out bangs for a very long time that I've been slowly blending in. If that is what you want, you should part your hair either center or side (but if you part it center and wear it side, it will look more like your first link.. not even on both sides which is fine).

I decide on where to start the curve up by drawing a line down on my scalp and sectioning that hair and then making sure none is tucked behind my ears. Then brush out the hair and decide how short I want the front and mark where that should be visually on my body. Then angle my fingers holding the hair and follow the line with the scissors.

I'm not an expert but this works for me.

jaine
June 18th, 2011, 06:23 AM
In the picture of your own hair, it already looks like the front pieces are shorter..more than a few inches shorter actually....I might be missing something?

Scarlet_Heart
June 18th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Here's how I do it.

In the shower, after I wash my hair and it's soaking wet, I flip my head over and comb it very straight. I part my hair like a "T." So from the nape up to the crown it's a straight part down the middle. Then at around the crown area, I make a horizontal part. Once I get the part right, I comb it very straight. So at this point, I am bent over with hair splaying all across my head, like a curtain going around my face. Then I cut it straight across that entire "curtain." However much I want to cut, generally 3." When it dries, I have layers and a taper which I sometimes trim down a bit because it's a severe point, so I round it off a bit.

I know it sounds long and complicated, but it isn't; I just wanted to make sure I was explaining enough. I used to do that when I wasn't trying to grow it out though. I haven't cut it like this in a few years. But it works :)