PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Recipes To "Naturally" Dye Red Hair

MermaidOH
June 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hello All,
I have been lurking for some time on this wonderful forum trying to learn all I can. I am looking for a rinse or "Tea" that I can use on my colored hair. I have dark but vibrant red hair that I get done at an Aveda salon and I am just looking to refresh my color and maintain it between visits to the salon. I can not use henna as my hair is chemically processed. I am trying to grow my hair out after years of bleaching hair platinum blonde, I finally decided longer healthy hair was what I wanted, not damaged short bleached hair (should not have taken me years to realize this:rolleyes:) but I digress. So I am looking for some rinse or tea recipes that I could use at home to revive my color and possible camouflage a very few grays between my salon visits. Thank you!:)

Sundial
June 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinses supposedly leaves a red tint in hair but it may take a while before you see results

jojo
June 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM
it is perfectly ok to use henna over a chemical dye as long as its baq henna. Lots including myself have done so. Its when henna contains metallic salts pure henna only contains lawsonia Inermis which is the molecule which binds to the hair shaft. If you are just after brightening up the red dye then a henna gloss may be better.

The condition of you hair will improve with henna but bear in mind that henna is like a tattoo, there are things which in certain individuals help fade henna but it will always be there. Therefore think long and hard if henna is the road you wish to go on.

jojo
June 17th, 2011, 11:15 AM
ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinses supposedly leaves a red tint in hair but it may take a while before you see results

I doubt this would work with darker colours. The main use of ACV is to regulate the scalps pH and is not used for adding redness to hair, its just a side effect lighter hair types may experience.

Aeltt
June 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM
You can try to minimize the color-stripping (less washes, shampoo made for colored hair or SLS-free shampoo), ACV rinses may help with that because it will help the cuticles lay down => the color will stay longer.

To add a red tint without henna, there are vegetable based dyes (such as Manic Panic, Direction..) which will ravive the color (but will wash out).
But if you just want rinses, you can try hibiscus tea, beet juice or cranberry juice.
Good luck ! :)

Anje
June 17th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I agree with the previous posters. A temporary vegetable dye like Manic Panic if you don't want permanent, henna if you want color that lasts forever.

A high quality (BAQ = body art quality) henna from a reputable seller like Mehandi.com or HennaSooq.com will not cause problems with your chemically dyed hair. One that has unknown substances like metallic salts in it might be problematic, though, which is probably why you've been warned away from henna.

rosycoco
June 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
You could try using Lush's henna blocks to do glosses with. They do not contain any mineral salts. I used them as a gloss over my previously dyed hair and had no problems whatsoever. I'm sure if you went into the shop they would give you a sample which you could do a strand test with? Maybe the caca rouge or caca marron one would be suitable?
I also sometimes mix my coconut oil with coffee grindings and rooibos tea, leave on over night and rinse off.
Hope this helps :)

jojo
June 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM
^^ yes lush is baq and fades a little, ive used these and they make my hair wonderful.

GRU
June 18th, 2011, 06:46 PM
A high quality (BAQ = body art quality) henna from a reputable seller like Mehandi.com or HennaSooq.com will not cause problems with your chemically dyed hair. One that has unknown substances like metallic salts in it might be problematic, though, which is probably why you've been warned away from henna.

Actually, she's probably been warned away from henna b/c then she wouldn't need horrendously expensive salon dyes anymore, not to mention fancy salon-brand products to "fix" her hair (b/c it would be nice and healthy after switching to henna)! ;)

Washing with conditioner rather than shampoo (even if it is "gentle for color-treated hair" shampoo) might help your color to not fade as quickly.

Or as has been mentioned, dyeing with henna will make your color not fade at all... ever.

Mairéad
June 18th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hehehe, I'm willing to bet money that the only reason my hair dresser is so against henna is because I won't pay her $24 to touch up my roots! Bwahaha.

But, I second that using conditioner to wash would probably preserve your color for much longer.

whitestiletto
June 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
what is your original hair color?

btw, you can definitely put BAQ henna over hair dye. i have done so myself, my hair was dyed with Wella Salon Color and i put henna over it and it looks great.

littlenvy
June 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
You can try henna or you may not. With your expensive salon dye you get exact colour but you also get damage and fade. With henna you get lasting healthy colour but its not exact. So you HAVE to do a strand test on both dyed hair and then on just your roots (virgin) hair.

If you do want to keep dying the salon way, do consider conditioner only washing (no shampoo). There are many threads on conditioner only washing on this board. Look them up and you will see how much less colour fade you will get :)

Mesmerise
June 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Hello All,
I have been lurking for some time on this wonderful forum trying to learn all I can. I am looking for a rinse or "Tea" that I can use on my colored hair. I have dark but vibrant red hair that I get done at an Aveda salon and I am just looking to refresh my color and maintain it between visits to the salon. I can not use henna as my hair is chemically processed. I am trying to grow my hair out after years of bleaching hair platinum blonde, I finally decided longer healthy hair was what I wanted, not damaged short bleached hair (should not have taken me years to realize this:rolleyes:) but I digress. So I am looking for some rinse or tea recipes that I could use at home to revive my color and possible camouflage a very few grays between my salon visits. Thank you!:)

There is NOTHING wrong with using 100% henna on chemically coloured hair! It will not cause your hair to melt or whatever ;). The only "henna" that is problematic is so-called "henna" with metallic salts added.

A lot say you need BAQ henna, but you can simply use a good quality hair henna like Jamila, which is quite inexpensive and works very well.