PDA

View Full Version : why does CO washing....

jojo
June 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM
make my hair more wavy?

I have just started my summer CO washes as it loves it in summer but hates it in winter and my hair is much wavier.

Why is this? is it just due to no shampoo because i use just as much conditioner as I did when I was shampooing or could it be due to my final herbal rinse?

Anybody else understand why this is?

orangeeyecrayon
June 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
it could be because curly and wavy hair need more moisture to get that way, and with out the shampoo you are not having chemicals that open up the cuticle and dry out the hair.

therefore more moisturized hair, and wavier hair

Riot Crrl
June 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM
I think a lot of people found this, or Curly Girl wouldn't sell so many copies and NC.com wouldn't exist.

Anything that dries hair out has a straightening effect for me. Anything that moisturizes it makes it curlier.

jojo
June 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks yes that makes sense, funny before my hair felt healthy but now it feels shinny!

So maybe my hair is drier in summer which is why it likes it better!

smilelads
June 21st, 2008, 09:26 PM
Question about the CO washings, cause I'm really wanting to try it!
How do you wash it? Like only apply the conditioner to the body, or wash the scalp as well? Because I'd rather not have my hair all greasy on top :)

Riot Crrl
June 21st, 2008, 09:32 PM
How do you wash it? Like only apply the conditioner to the body, or wash the scalp as well? Because I'd rather not have my hair all greasy on top :)

There are different ways to do it. The way I do it is basically: apply conditioner to scalp. Rub with fingers as if lathering a shampoo. Rinse. Then condition the rest of my hair, often with a richer, more moisturizing conditioner.

Believe it or not, this has made my hair less greasy than it was with shampooing. I am of the opinion that my oil glands had been overproducing because of the detergent.

Some people have a transition period when they start this. It takes their glands a while to realize that they no longer need to overproduce. I didn't have a transition period, though. Mine liked it right away.

nicolina
June 22nd, 2008, 02:13 AM

I CO differently from Riot Crrl. I rinse, apply LOADS of conditioner and massage it into the scalp (the hair should be completely slick all over - you couldn't get more conditioner in if you tried). Then I wrap it in a towel and leave it half an hour - an hour, while I have breakfast etc. Then I rinse it out thoroughly, finishing with a cider vinegar rinse and cold water. This seems to be helping with my dandruff as well as greasiness.

You could check out the CO thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) or the LHC article about CO (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18).

brok3nwings
June 22nd, 2008, 04:44 AM
I also have wavy hair (but not intensively wavy) and i think that when i CO my hair first has lot of moisture, it takes a lot to dry and it stays more heavy so it stays more in place...when i dont CO my hair gains more volume, more frizz, i have a need to brush it to even all my hair. So ...i know the effects but i really dont know the reason and i actually like it both ways depending what im looking for ;)

30isthenewblack
June 22nd, 2008, 05:05 AM
I also have wavy hair (but not intensively wavy) and i think that when i CO my hair first has lot of moisture, it takes a lot to dry and it stays more heavy so it stays more in place...when i dont CO my hair gains more volume, more frizz, i have a need to brush it to even all my hair. So ...i know the effects but i really dont know the reason and i actually like it both ways depending what im looking for ;)

I think you need to experiment & find out what works best for YOUR hair. Like Brok3nwings, I have found that my hair has more volume & I like the way it looks better when I shampoo my hair. I don't like the way conditioner only makes my hair limp & has no body. My hair doesn't tangle at all so there is no need for extra conditioning.

rymorg2
June 22nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
make my hair more wavy?

I have just started my summer CO washes as it loves it in summer but hates it in winter and my hair is much wavier.

Why is this? is it just due to no shampoo because i use just as much conditioner as I did when I was shampooing or could it be due to my final herbal rinse?

Anybody else understand why this is?

Oh definately....I totally agree with everything everyone said up till now. I CO like Riotcrrl. I do want to add though, that part of why it works, as well as moisture issues, is that the cones in most conditioners weigh down the hair and straighten out curl/wave, so many people probably have more wave or curl than they think they do. You stop using cones and the wave comes back. :D