PDA

View Full Version : What to do on hot days

svehex
June 17th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I'm looking for an updo for hot days, so I can avoid cutting my hair in desperation. This isn't working, I'm still sweating like a pig:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/svehex/hestehale.jpg

Maybe I should describe my hair:
BSL at the longest
Layered
Pretty thick although thinned by hairdresser (Ponytail circumference: ~3in)
Difficult to keep in place

Hope you have some ideas.

Pierre
June 17th, 2011, 07:01 AM
What works well for me is two Dutch braids, one on each side, fastened behind the ears. Nowadays I usually wear two English braids, which also work well. How hot does it get there? It gets up to 38 °C here, and I've seen 36 already.

Mesmerise
June 17th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Some kind of twist held up with a clip?? And keep a spray bottle around to cool yourself down when it gets really hot!

I actually wouldn't have thought it got all that hot in Norway :D. At the very least, I wouldn't imagine summer was all that long there? (Excuse my ignorance if I'm TOTALLY wrong about that lol).

Belisarius
June 17th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Some kind of twist held up with a clip?? And keep a spray bottle around to cool yourself down when it gets really hot!

I actually wouldn't have thought it got all that hot in Norway :D. At the very least, I wouldn't imagine summer was all that long there? (Excuse my ignorance if I'm TOTALLY wrong about that lol).
Ah, but everything is relative. The Tunesian guy working here last summer was totally okay with the heat whilst the natives not so much...

Carolyn
June 17th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I would do a high-ish peacock twist. It would be great with your layers and at your length. Otherwise any kind of a wet bun is nice on a hot day.

Madora
June 17th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Ponytails are not conducive to healthy hair! Too much heat from the elastics (coated or not).

I'd use a hair friendly clip (if you want to just clip it up out of the way).

However, if it were my hair, I'd section it and try for a bun, like this:

1) part hair from top right ear, around the back of the head, over to the left ear. Comb out the hair ABOVE THE PART and then gather into a ponytail (without the holder). Gently twist the hair and coil into a mini bun. Pin it with crimped long hairpins (no bobby pins!). Weave each pin in an up and down motion (try and snag a tiny bit of scalp hair when you're weaving the hairpin up and down. This helps anchor the style)

Take the remaining hair and divide it in two. Take one section and twist it down to the ends, then bring it up and wind it CLOCKWISE around the bun already made. Take the remaining hair, twist it down to the ends, then bring it up and wind it COUNTERCLOCKWISE around the bun already made. Use crimped hairpins with each section.

If your hair isn't long enough to try this, then other short haired alternatives would be:

French Twist
Gibson Tuck
Sock Bun

Good luck! I hate hot weather with a passion!

Anje
June 17th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Twist it up off your neck, even if bits stick out everywhere. Double up the ponytail at least, so it's not falling back onto you. Consider putting your hair up wet, or wetting it down once it's up for more evaporation. Seek air conditioning if possible.

When your hair is longer, it's possible to make a bun with an ice cube in the middle, which is nice but a bit drippy. :)

tinti
June 17th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Oh, I envy you! Here in Stv it's raining!
What about a split bun?
1. Make a pony but on the last "pull" just pull your hair halfway through or untill you get a nice loop you can divide
2. Divide your loop in 2 so you have one on the left and one onn the right.
3. Wrap the left over hair that's just hanging under the loops around the base and put the loops over, one on each side. Secure with what you have, I use sticks, forks or flexi 8 but you can use a knitting needle or a pencil or whatever if you don't have hairtoys. It holds like a rock (on me at least) and if some layers decide to stick out or unravel they doesn't fall on your neck.

tinti
June 17th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Double post, my computer is messing with me, sorry!

Audrey Horne
June 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I braid something on a hot and anyway look like a mess. But anyway...
Two Dutch/French braids (for me it's always French), each on the side and the "hanging rest" I put in a bun. Or one big French braid and then you put it in a bun.
Just don't let anything hang, ponytails don't help at all imo

BlazingHeart
June 17th, 2011, 09:22 AM
With your hair at the length it is, the easiest 'do is going to be a peacock - grab hair into a ponytail (without a holder), twist a couple times, put it up against the back of your head, and clip in place. Hair kind of fans out above the clip.

~Blaze

spidermom
June 17th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I'd do the peacock twist a lot at that length, held with a claw clip. Or the french twist held with a small, 4-tooth fork (or french twist comb).

bunzfan
June 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM
This is a good one, i did it at APL with lots of layers http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=202 and i second the split bun but i did it without the hair tie. Good luck.

Intransigentia
June 17th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I bet a sock bun with a wet sock would work really well, not only for evaporative cooling and keeping the hair off your neck, but also for making fantastic curls when you take it out.

Laurenji
June 17th, 2011, 10:05 AM
The best way to combat thick, layered hair is to split it into two. My hair is pretty thick as well, and when my hair was shoulder to BSL (and even now at waist) I still have a hard time doing some of those buns without little bits sticking all over everywhere. But I've found it's a lot easier to manage if you split it in half and do a bun (or a braid) on each side.

nmarie33
June 17th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I have made a sock bun with wet, cold hair...that will keep you decently cool until it dries out! Double French or Dutch braids are also the way to go. I would say make your braids, then spray your head with cold water for max coolness!

svehex
June 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks everyone :) I'll give those a try. Compared to other countries, I'm sure it isn't called 'hot', but it gets up towards 30 C/85.9 F in the summer. I'm dying as soon as it passes 22 C/71.6 F. Probably because I'm 'well insulated' :D

QMacrocarpa
June 17th, 2011, 10:41 AM
When your hair is longer, it's possible to make a bun with an ice cube in the middle, which is nice but a bit drippy. :)
This sounds great! What are good buns to try it with? My hair may not be long enough yet, but I'm definitely filing this idea for future reference! :D

CrystalStar
June 17th, 2011, 10:48 AM
A peacock twist or english braid is how I survived summer around that length. :) You could easily do two mini cinnabuns as well, one on each side maybe?

Intransigentia
June 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Compared to other countries, I'm sure it isn't called 'hot', but it gets up towards 30 C/85.9 F in the summer. I'm dying as soon as it passes 22 C/71.6 F. Probably because I'm 'well insulated' :D

Hey, I feel your pain! I can't deal with anything over 25C unless I have a body of water to play in and nothing else to do. I like to reframe it as being cold-adapted: as long as I'm dressed for it, I don't start getting uncomfortable until the -30s.

Anje
June 17th, 2011, 12:00 PM
This sounds great! What are good buns to try it with? My hair may not be long enough yet, but I'm definitely filing this idea for future reference! :D
I've only done it a few times, but I basically just shove the cube underneath and pin the edges down.

Then again, I'm goofy. I've also been known to put ice cubes in a hat and wear that.

svehex
June 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks again :) Forgot to reply to one of the suggestions: I've tried the Peacock Twist many times, and I'm just as hot with that.

Kaelee
June 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I'm currently doing a ponytail and then flipping the tail up and securing with a claw clip. Like a peacock twist, but peacock twist does not hold in my hair for some reason (theoretically it *should*) without 'cheating' with the elastic.

RuLueashk
June 17th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I use these Ice Bandanas around my neck.
http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Bandana-TM-Black-PACK/dp/B000PHKQU2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1308362208&sr=8-6

Malibu Barbie
June 17th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I braid a bun wet and secure it with a metal hairstick.

jennydaesy
June 17th, 2011, 08:51 PM
claw clip buns are easiest to do with short hair

McFearless
June 17th, 2011, 08:54 PM
French braids or dutch braids. Cinnamon buns are my daily hairstyle pretty much.

curlymarcia
June 17th, 2011, 09:04 PM
A high bun is my choice when my hair bothers me.

LaurelSpring
June 17th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Layers in the summer are a pain. When my hair was shorter I let the layers grow out long enough to french braid it in the summer and then cut them back in for the winter when I kept my hair down to keep me warm.

Its going to be hot no matter what you do. If you cut it then it will just lay on your neck and make you hot. Find some ways to get it up. You can do some cute little pin curls with colored clips or something. I did that alot last year. Looks really cute and also gives you nice curls when you take it down.

EtherealOde
June 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM
As long as my hair isn't on my face or neck, I am good on hot days. So at your length I would be going with a peacock twist, a sock bun, or perhaps a pair of french braids. The updo won't make you not feel the heat, but it will make dealing with it less uncomfortable, as you won't have sweaty hair clinging to your skin, making you even hotter and itching in the bargain. And putting it up while wet will make it stay longer, as well as helping to keep you cooler by evaporation wicking away extra body heat. Maybe carry around a spray bottle filled with water to dampen your hair when you get extra warm? And if you are able to be in front of a fan it can help too.

epigrrl
June 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'm dependent upon peacock twists right now--it's been around 95F-98F here the past few weeks. Anything to get it off my neck. Ooof! :(

svehex
June 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll try several of the suggested styles on hot days, to see what works for me. I'll get back to you when I know.

ArienEllariel
June 17th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks everyone :) I'll give those a try. Compared to other countries, I'm sure it isn't called 'hot', but it gets up towards 30 C/85.9 F in the summer. I'm dying as soon as it passes 22 C/71.6 F. Probably because I'm 'well insulated' :D

Pretty much anything above 75-80 F is too hot as far as I'm concerned.. A couple days ago it hit 97 F... I stay inside in the AC as much as possible and don't go out unless I plan on swimming or going to the beach pretty much in this weather.

Dr. Girlfriend
June 18th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I like pigtail braids myself. We've been seeing 103 and this style has been very good to me.

Scarlet_Heart
June 18th, 2011, 06:46 AM
French twist! French twist! French twist! :cheese: Before your hair gets too long!

That's one of my favorite hair styles, but now my hair is getting too long to do one. :( I just can't jam all my hair into a twist and have it look sleek and nice anymore. But it's great for keeping your hair all in place and tucked away. Great for those hot days!

IanB
June 18th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Perspire a lot!

Panth
June 18th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Detangle your hair thoroughly, then divide it equally into two and put each half over its respective shoulder. Lean forwards slowly until you are bent over and your hair is going straight down (like Madora recommends for BBB use). Comb/fingercomb your hair into a ponytail smack bang in the middle of the top of your head, but don't use a band. Twist into a cinnabun and secure with your hairtoy of choice (lots of little clips, U-shaped pins, straight pins, whatever). Then if you have any major short bits that won't reach the bun pin those up with bobby pins or similar.

I've been doing that on the hottest days. It looks completely daft (think like the baby in the Flintstones) but it is the coolest updo I've found. It would probably be even better with cool damp hair.

Warning to everyone: if you put ice in your bun, be very careful! If you get ice-cold water on the back of your neck (at the base of the brain / top of the spinal cord) you can cause serious heatshock to the part of your brain that keeps your lungs, heart, etc. going. It'll be a trip to A&E, you may well pass out and it has the potential for serious, lasting damage.

svehex
June 20th, 2011, 12:50 AM
French twist! French twist! French twist! :cheese: Before your hair gets too long!

That's one of my favorite hair styles, but now my hair is getting too long to do one. :( I just can't jam all my hair into a twist and have it look sleek and nice anymore. But it's great for keeping your hair all in place and tucked away. Great for those hot days!

My hair has never been agreeable enough to get into a french twist :) There's too much of it, so it falls out, no matter what I do.

svehex
June 20th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Detangle your hair thoroughly, then divide it equally into two and put each half over its respective shoulder. Lean forwards slowly until you are bent over and your hair is going straight down (like Madora recommends for BBB use). Comb/fingercomb your hair into a ponytail smack bang in the middle of the top of your head, but don't use a band. Twist into a cinnabun and secure with your hairtoy of choice (lots of little clips, U-shaped pins, straight pins, whatever). Then if you have any major short bits that won't reach the bun pin those up with bobby pins or similar.

I've been doing that on the hottest days. It looks completely daft (think like the baby in the Flintstones) but it is the coolest updo I've found. It would probably be even better with cool damp hair.

Warning to everyone: if you put ice in your bun, be very careful! If you get ice-cold water on the back of your neck (at the base of the brain / top of the spinal cord) you can cause serious heatshock to the part of your brain that keeps your lungs, heart, etc. going. It'll be a trip to A&E, you may well pass out and it has the potential for serious, lasting damage.

Thanks, I've done that a couple of times :) It's OK for garden 'duty', but I don't want to do it for work.