PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out the source

BeccaAngel
June 16th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Even though I put a few threads out here trying to figure out my scalp issue and how to fix it, I finally figured out what caused my problem to begin with. It was cheap hairdye, I used Revlon over the years and never really noticed it did more damage to my scalp than to my hair.

So if i feel the need to change things up with my hair colour-wise, I will use a more natural hair dying method and aluminum foil to keep the chemicals further away from my scalp. Luckily I haven't had any issues with this way of doing it, so Yay me for figuring out my problem and finding better solutions.:)

p.s. sorry if this is the wrong place to put my thread

Red_Wednesday
June 16th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Congrats on figuring out what the culprit was!!

I don't currently dye my hair, but when I started experimenting with cowashing, I found that my scalp was constantly itchy and sore. After some investigating I found that I was allergic to certain ingredients in the conditioners I was using...go figure:o. Anyway, once I figured it out, my hair really started to thrive.

It always feels good when we find the answers to our problems:D.

pixiestar
June 17th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I have a ppd allergy which is in semi and permanent hair dye. I have not seen your previous post's to your symptoms. But if you do have a ppd allergy you want to avoid any dyes that contain it completly, do not even use foils. Its not worth the risk:( I now use baq henna, but depending on what colour you want to achieve you can you a mixture of henna, katam, indigo, amla, cassia to name a few, check out the recipes, henna and the herbal hair care forum:D

KittyLost
June 17th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Another reason I stopped box dyes and bleaching! Whenever I did within the last year my head would get hot and itchy and I'd experience a big shed when rinising though I'd previously had no problems.

Glad to see you've figured out your problem and can now keep your scalp happy :)

curlymarcia
June 17th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I also shedded a lot with permanent dyes, but my scalp never itches. Now I use demi permanent ones, and I try to use dyes less often.

IanB
June 18th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I think that you just have to accept that any harsh chemical, or treatment such as heat will cause some damage to your hair - if you can, natural is always best.

defineinsanity
June 18th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Congratulations to your problem solving skills, i used to use boxed dye constantly... wasn't difficult to see where i was going wrong mind.
Now i just use a bit of sun-in every now and again and there is near to no damage at all :) (i know alot of people dislike this product but it seems to work for me)