PDA

View Full Version : Less washing versus more scalp oil treatments/deep massages? Weigh in...

shikara
June 16th, 2011, 05:42 PM
In the long run, which of these two scenarios might result in healthier hair? We know it's generally given that less washing = less damage. We also know that scalp massages with various oils (castor, rosemary, jojoba, coconut) contribute to a very healthy scalp and follicles and thus healthier, stronger hair more able to grow at its faster potential. Even if you currently washed your hair twice a week, for example, and switched to every three days, that would give you about 20 more overnight scalp applications/deep massages throughout the year. Do you think it's worth it?

krissykins
June 16th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Well, when I realize the next day should be wash day, that's when I do my scalp oiling/massages. I don't do them more often than I wash! It works out well for me.

inty
June 17th, 2011, 01:48 AM
To me, it is less washing scenario. I believe that healthy scalp should naturally be able to produce all what hair needs - sebum is the best hair and scalp conditioner. Plus, putting on and rinsing out all those treatments, and related extra hair handling seems to leave some mechanical damage behind... On the other hand, if your hair and scalp feels better with treatments, why not? Everybody is different.

So for me, less washing is better. I know this approach doesn't work for many people for various reasons, tho. :)

IanB
June 17th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I agree that less washing - with shampoo - can be better for the hair, although more frequent washing, just with tepid water can leave the hair in better condition as it does not rinse out the natural oil.

kidari
June 17th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I think it depends on individual needs. In general the less handling the better, so less frequent washings are probably better for you? I tried not washing daily but ended up resorting to using tons of dry shampoo on my scalp and needed to lather twice with shampoo when I did wash, so I thought it was counterproductive. It kind of stresses me out that I handle my hair so much but I think it's bad if it stresses you out too much worrying all the time about what causes damage on your hair because in a lot of ways it's a bit inevitable. If it's not one thing it's another and at the end of the day you should do what you find works best for you hair, right? I'm guilty about worrying too much about damage.