PDA

View Full Version : What tells YOU it's time to wash your hair?

shikara
June 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM
So, you're heading to the shower to wash to your hair. Is it because:
- you have a schedule, and you're sticking to it!
- it's limp
- it's greasy
- my scalp itches
- other
I'm curious to know.....

Ermine
June 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM
All of the above.

BlazingHeart
June 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM
It's the scalp itch, for me. My hair is pretty ambivilant about being washed, but my scalp gets to needing a good scrub-and-rub to get rid of buildup.

TheLurkingToad
June 16th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I just have an average schedule because I am new to this. Reading more here will probably change that.

monsterna
June 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Every night (well, at least every work night) between 8-10 PM. :D That's how I knows! I have to or I'm a greasy monkey.

luthein
June 16th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I get the greasies. They start around my bang hairline and spread backward. I can extend washes adding cornstarch to the areas around my temples. I try to go as long as possible, but I can only go 3 days.

Una
June 16th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Yeah, it is the greasiness for me too. I stretch my washes to every second day or so (unless I don't have to go anywhere).

MrsGuther
June 16th, 2011, 05:34 PM
It's definitely the greasiness that signals me it's time to wash my hair. That and my hair starts parting in wonky places and you can see my cowlicks.

mrs carol
June 16th, 2011, 05:35 PM
all the above, I wash my hair every other night.

CaityBear
June 16th, 2011, 05:38 PM
All of thee above. Mostly the greasiness though. My hair gets greasy really fast but if I don't wash my scalp often enough it does get super itchy.

spidermom
June 16th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Dull from too much sebum, itchy.

Or dull from dirt and sweat(from gardening and/or cleaning and/or working out).

Or stinky from handling the big python. His musk gets all over everything and really lingers!

sugarpixie10988
June 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
When it gets limp, greasy looking, and the ends get super tangly I know it's time to wash.

Qwackie
June 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Itchy-ness and greasiness. Eep.

CariadA
June 16th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I also know I need to wash (CO) when my scalp starts itching and gets buildup. Sometimes it starts just 12-24 hours after washing, but for the sake of my hair I wait another day. My hair doesn't get greasy until day 4, but I need to wash my scalp every other day.

Delila
June 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Oiliness. I can only stand so much of it before I must wash.

Sometimes if I get really hot and sweaty, I'll wash my hair just on principle, but mostly because having the damp hair around as it's drying seems to help cool me off.

Some years ago I did an experiment, just to see what it would be like to wash my hair once a week, and for me, day seven hair looked no worse than day four hair, but my scalp was tender and uncomfortable. When my hair moved, it actually hurt.

Garnet66
June 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Usually I wash my hair every four days. But I'll do it sooner if it looks/feels greasy. Or if I think it's stinky.

Immera
June 16th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Got out of bed, in shower, wash hair ... every day, don't really think about it.

TheBluffs
June 16th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Just grecies. And when I stretch wash- My mum. :D

Anje
June 16th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Usually it's when the root area is starting to look noticeably greasy, though I've also washed due to itch or when I think my scalp is stinky. Often, I also wash because I've done something that I think needs washed out, like over-oiling or most recently a trial at a color rinse.

Nastasia
June 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
It's the greasies, for me. Sometimes my scalp also gets itchy, but that comes with the greasies.

Speckla
June 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
When I have to take off a shoe to continue counting the days between washes....

RubyEmpress
June 16th, 2011, 06:14 PM
My scalp is happiest when I CO wash nightly and CWC every 3-4 day. A happy scalp makes a happy me :)

islandboo
June 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I usually do some sort of treatment every few days (catnip or heavy oiling) so I shampoo based on that. If I go more than 4 or 5 days though, I definitely need to do something about how lank and stringy it gets.

elfgirl
June 16th, 2011, 07:20 PM
For me, it's usually when it gets greasy or itchy. That can be anywhere from three to four days after I wash it. I try to stick to an every other day/every two days washing schedule...but sometimes I'm too busy :( Four days though is the absolute deadline for when my hair Has to be washed by ;)

elbow chic
June 16th, 2011, 07:24 PM
what causes that sore feeling, anyway? I get it sometimes, too, especially if I've really pushed past a point where I would normally have washed. It doesn't seem like mere grease should actually hurt.

Anyway, I'm with everyone else: I wash when it looks too waxy and the ends are feeling drier than they should. About twice a week for me.

AnnaJamila
June 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Sometimes I wait long enough to look up one day and go "Ew!" but usually it's because DH is home for the weekend or I just feel like it.

Lol, it feels good to give my scalp a good scrub!

AnnaJamila
June 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM
When I have to take off a shoe to continue counting the days between washes....

Ha! Lol, that gave me a good laugh!

bettylibertine
June 16th, 2011, 07:30 PM
It's the greasies for me! I wash every second day (otherwise my scalp is grease city :p)

GoatLady
June 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I am new to the forum and my scalp is still adjusting to being washed less. Right now I am trying to extend the time between actual shampoo washes. Today I shampooed, tomorrow nothing, the 3rd day I'll CO, and on the 4th day I wash again. As my hair gets less and less greasy I want to extend the time between shampoos to once a week, if possible, with a couple of CO washes thrown in. The funny thing, for me, is my scalp seems to like going for a while between shampoos. Much less itchy and flaky now than it was when I shampooed each day.

Red_Wednesday
June 16th, 2011, 07:44 PM
The itchies usually give me a clue. They show up about every third day or so.

Mamakash
June 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Roughly twice a week . . but this isn't a set schedule because of work. I try to plan around it . . . I don't want to wash my hair at 9:30 or 10pm(after an evening shift) and it often doesn't work out for me if I've done the 6am -3pm. I'm often too tired to get in the shower! I oiled my scalp and heading into the shower tomorrow . . . I got one of those early shifts Saturday.
Thank goodness for scarves!:D

LoversLullaby
June 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM
It's greasy. Sometimes my scalp itches, sometimes not :)

Athena's Owl
June 16th, 2011, 07:51 PM
when my scalp is itchy.

shawty
June 16th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I don't get any of these... my hair kind of becomes too... shapeable? It loses its bounce and shine and instead starts getting cowlicked easily. Usually happens around day 3 or 4, and then I wear it up for a few days so people can't tell, and then I wash it.

Dare_to_Dream
June 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
For me it is just when I get build up on my scalp. Greasy hair does not bother me too much but I cannot stand build-up on my scalp.

Seharia
June 16th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Mostly if my scalp itches or if my hair is greasy but sometimes I just feel like showering.

QueenJoey
June 16th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I CO daily, but all those you listed tell me when I need to shampoo.

Red_Wednesday
June 16th, 2011, 08:20 PM
*Hijack* QueenJoey - love your siggy:love: *end hijack*

Delila
June 16th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I forgot another reason I'll wash: if my hair has absorbed cooking odors, I tend to wash sooner, rather than later.

I realized this today because even though I washed this AM, I cooked with some curry powder tonight, and if the odor seems to cling to my hair, I'll probably wash it again sooner than I might otherwise.

xoerincolleen
June 16th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I CO every other day (generally) but shampoo when my scalp starts to itch. My hair doesn't really get greasy, so that's not a problem for me.

FarmGirl
June 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Mine gets greasy... during winter I've been really great about only washing my hair around 1 time a week, but now that its summer, I've been washing 2 to 3 times a week, just because of the general increase in numbers of showers I'm taking... farm work gets me stinky real quick :) lol

Marz Hase
June 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
When my ends feel stupid dry and crunchy, even though my hair is greasy. Usually I wash every other day.

xovictoryxo
June 16th, 2011, 08:39 PM
product build up, greasyness and stinkyness lol

vanillabones
June 16th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Greasy, limp, so oily and itchy with clumps of sebum @_o
which happens by the third day and I have to use dry shampoo the second day if I ever decide to hold off that long, which does happen if I'm lazy. Otherwise I find it easier to just wash it than postpone it because then my ends will be very dry and odd from the dry shampoo.

kidari
June 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I wash every night. I have a very oily scalp and the grease really shows on my hair in about 6 hours. If I wash every other day, it gets really uncomfortably itchy the very next day. I feel bad washing everyday which is why I use coconut oil as a prewash, kind of like CWC method but with oil.

UltraBella
June 16th, 2011, 08:55 PM
My scalp itches if I wait too long and it drives me crazy !

Pierre
June 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM
There are lots of shed hairs and short hairs frizzing on my scalp.

Arya
June 16th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Greasy roots and frizz!

lacrymosa777
June 16th, 2011, 09:34 PM
product buildup........but main because i just want to...lol

Druid of Alba
June 16th, 2011, 09:52 PM
When I'm not going anywhere, I only wash my hair when my scalp gets itchy, about every 3 or 4 days. When I do have somewhere to go, I wash it every other day, so that it's not greasy.

adiapalic
June 16th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Greasy scalp and/or stiff dry ends.

Merewen
June 16th, 2011, 10:15 PM
1) greasy
2) panini-grill scented (from work)
Or occasionally if I want nice curls the next day but I time that so it will still coincide with "greasy" if I can.

rapunzhell13
June 17th, 2011, 12:01 AM
When my hair starts clumping together, feeling slick with oil and isn't smelling so great.

222toogoodforu
June 17th, 2011, 12:09 AM
My signs are extremely dry, crunchy ends from conditioner or oil build-up, and nasty greasy roots from said conditioner/oil that show unbearable scalp cleavage!

vanity_acefake
June 17th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I wash my hair every 10 days or so. It's the itches that tell me I need to do it. When it's greasy I just bbb it and put it up.

Panth
June 17th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Greasies - i.e. when my scalp hair stops looking golden blonde and starts looking more and more like a light ash brown. Then, it's off to wash it ... unless I'm being busy/lazy. Then I might just wear a scarf if I go out anywhere.

Loreley
June 17th, 2011, 12:52 AM
It's greasy and my scalp itches.

Safira
June 17th, 2011, 01:19 AM
My roots get greasy but my ends feels drier and drier.

trolleypup
June 17th, 2011, 01:48 AM
So, you're heading to the shower to wash to your hair. Is it because:
- it's greasy
- my scalp itches
- other
I'm curious to know.....
Otter in an Oilslick - check
Scalp in Rebellion - check
Fingers feel like a movie theater floor after finger combing - check...well, that is a week or more after the first two. :( ... when I SHOULD have washed it already!

kyandii
June 17th, 2011, 01:50 AM
When it gets greasy.

ashke50
June 17th, 2011, 03:10 AM
The greasies - which usually coincide with the itchy scalp. Today, for example, it needs washing. I can *feel* the need to wash it, itching away on my scalp. Sadly I did not get up early enough, so it has to wait till I get home from work.

bunzfan
June 17th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Well the thing is for me as i have a lot of hair it looks better in an updo the greasier it is so i actually like that but, i wash once a week and use a dry shampoo on my roots if they are look greasy and dirty.

Sundial
June 17th, 2011, 04:19 AM
When any of the following occurs:
- my roots feel greasy,
- my scalp itches,
- my ends feel dry,
- when I've been working out or been someplace where my hair absorbed smells

Neneka
June 17th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Stupid itchy scalp. That's very annoying since my hair never gets greasy.

Flossy
June 17th, 2011, 05:09 AM
It's definitely the greasiness that signals me it's time to wash my hair. That and my hair starts parting in wonky places and you can see my cowlicks.

Totally this. I wish I could go longer than 3 or 4 days, but having fair hair means it just looks really dirty and yuck, and my hairline goes crazy.

I actually love the smell of sebum though. It reminds me of my dad! We call it 'man smell'.

EmiliaF
June 17th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I am currently trying to stretch washes so I have a few things I try before I wash as a last option! :cool:
I never really have limp hair as it is mostly braided in a tucked french braid... at least this way I never notice. ;) I do spray it with some leave-in conditioners that I have ready in spray bottles and I think that helps freshen up my hair whenever it bugs me.
So when I notice scalp itching I first take my BBB and brush to try to spread some of the sebum. Interestingly, my rooibos spray helps with the greasiness (Don't know why), so I am trying that next. If that doesn't help or makes it worse, I will next apply some corn starch (because it's great as a dry shampoo) and leave it on for anywhere between 2 minutes and a few hours before I brush it out. This will help at least for another day. Then I definitely have to do a WO-wash because I never manage to comb the corn starch out completely so it has to be 'watered' out. Also, the water removes the oily phase which I suspect is responsible for the greasy hair smell. The slightly waxy phase doesn't smell. Then I continue with step 1if I still need to stretch further until the next wash day (I try to only wash once a week).

Hope this answer isn't too long or too confusing :whistle:

Scarlet_Heart
June 17th, 2011, 05:37 AM
My hair is pretty voluminous, but when it goes limp and flat, I know it's time to wash. I usually get a little greasy at the temples, too.

Stagecoach
June 17th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Typically it's because I have a schedule that I like to stick with. However if I've been outside sweating in the garden, I'll give a quick rinse.

LisaMonster
June 17th, 2011, 06:33 AM
A lot of it depends on my schedule for the day.

Like, if my hair is greasy and I have to go to work, I'll just pull it back in a bun and wear a bandana as a headband, but if it's greasy and I have class, I'll wash it. I never wash my hair for just a day at home, haha.

Ribbon
June 17th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Fortunately, I don't get an itchy scalp. But, I am a greaseball. Even 24 hrs and people ask if I just worked out or if it is raining outside. It's awful and embarrassing! I never have dry skin though, even in the winter, so that's the nice benefit, to look on the bright side. I have tried to go every other day but I'm thinking it's just not going to work for me. Maybe instead of CWC each day I should try CO the second day?

lolsnort
June 17th, 2011, 06:56 AM
If I'm not going out anywhere then I completely ignore when my hair's greasy.

Other than that: Itchy scalp, dry ends and when it looks completely lifeless.

BrightEyes
June 17th, 2011, 06:56 AM
It usually depends on what is going on for the day. If I have somewhere nice to be and I want my hair to look fresh (unfortunately it's not long enough for updos to hide the greasies) then I'll wash. That being said, I generally try to go 2 days between my washes.

cheetahfast
June 17th, 2011, 07:00 AM
My hair takes about 5 days to get noticably greasy (the curls tend to be dry for the first 3 days), so I'll either wait to wash or do a heavy oiling and wash. Sometimes I can stretch washes to once a week, but I usually don't. If I want to wear it down, I wash more often (2-3 times a week) since I can only style my hair wet. I also wash early if I accidently apply too much coconut oil.

NotInPortland
June 17th, 2011, 07:39 AM
When I look like an oil slick, my hair gets greasy very fast :p It also used to be when the ends went crunchy and dry but that hasn't been happening the last few months yay!

janeytilllie
June 17th, 2011, 07:48 AM
All of them apply to me, however my scalp itching tends to be the first sign of it needs washing.

boomygrrl
June 17th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I just love the feel of fresh, clean hair...and my curls are bouncier and more cooperative when freshly washed. I pretty much wash my hair 4-5 times a week...I'm lazy sometimes or just don't care what my hair looks like (like today...I didn't wash my hair...I styled it the best I can and just let it be frizzy...it looks okay...but my laziness lowered my standards today).

I'm not "supposed to" wash my hair so often, as I have curly hair...but my hair isn't dry...it is frizzy but its a soft frizz. I used to have dry hair, but I don't blowdry, use heat appliances (curlers/straighteners), I use gentle shampoos usually (I clarify occasionally), and I always use a leave-in conditioner. Since shampooing doesn't seem to damage it (and frankly, I wouldn't mind a little roughing up with my hair, as it is toooo soft...but even with the shampooing it still is soft), and I love the feel of it...why not?

Paladin
June 17th, 2011, 08:26 AM
How do *I* know that it's time to wash?

Simple... I think to myself, "Self, did we use our Nizoral shampoo yesterday? No? Then today is wash day!"

Ha.

auroraclio
June 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Usually it's every second day for me, my scalp get oily quite fast and itches. On the weekends I don't care and just let it go, but during the week I have to wash, I work in an office.

Roscata
June 17th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Greasiness makes me realize it's time to wash my hair.

QMacrocarpa
June 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
It's Thursday. :) I cut back from twice a week to once a week over the winter, thinking that I might switch back in summer, but so far my hair and scalp are still happy, so I'm sticking with it for now.

JuliaDancer
June 17th, 2011, 10:56 AM
My schedule is every 3 days, but also the itchiness tells me. My hair is usually ok the next day, then the third day, it's usually greasy at the scalp. I BBB to smooth it out, oil the ends so they match, and pigtail dutch braid. Then I either leave the pigtails down or bun them up.

GALISH
June 17th, 2011, 11:19 AM
My greasy scalp won't let me go further than 3 days

Babyfine
June 17th, 2011, 11:28 AM
By day 4-greasy + sebum smell.

charalito
June 17th, 2011, 11:29 AM
My hair starts parting in wonky places and you can see my cowlicks.

Same here. Super evident cowlicks. It used to be the itchies, but since I started a scritching/BBB routine the are vanished.

Apriori
June 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I'm trying to get my hair used to only being washed once a week so I was it on schedule every thursday. Before that I just used to was it when it got greasy.

gthlvrmx
June 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I'm on a once a week schedule, but if it's really itchy, into the shower!!

chaoticwaves
June 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I work at a plant where coal dust blows around constantly, and plus it is so windy almost on a daily basis where I live. I usually go 3-4 days before washing, but sometimes I can rake coal dust off my scalp, so I definetely have to give my head a good scrubbin'. I wish I looked better with updoes; I know my hair would thank me.

sally_neuf
June 17th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Sebum! If looks greasy and stringy. But that's not what bothers me most, what I really hate is that the ends become dry and tangled, they are almost screaming "put some conditioner in me!!! please!" It usually takes 4 days or so.
If I let my scalp to get more greasier than that, then I start developing acne right on the edge between hair and my forehead (my hairline? I guess that's what it's called!)

Keepitgrowing29
June 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM
- sticking to the schedule
- itchy scalp

DARKMARTIAN
June 17th, 2011, 12:32 PM
...usually when everyone around me starts going, "ewww, gross"!

I kid, I kid

Actually an itchy scalp screams it pretty loud. Plus I sleep with it loose. so by the time I wake up its fully misshapen and askew.

So thats shower time.

TallGrrl78
June 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
When my roots are all greasy, which unfortunately ends up being every other day. Almost impossible for me to stretch it to 3 days. As it is, I usually have to use dry shampoo just to keep the every other day routine up.

BrightEyes7
June 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Mostly the greasy hair... but my scalp also gets itchy. Sometimes I'll wash a day earlier than normal even if my hair isn't greasy simply because my scalp itches.

Sometimes I'll wash too if my hair stinks. Like after going to a bonfire or greasy restaurant. :laugh:

EtherealOde
June 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I clean my hair when my scalp feels itchy or if it looks dull due to sweat/dirt etc. I can feel the gritty salt on my hair from dried sweat, and hate it. Most of the time a good rinse is all I need, but I can tell when it needs more. In general, unless I have been extremely active outside, I can go for a week or more without need for a wash. I don't have oily scalp issues so washes aren't necessary more often than that unless I want my hair to look extra nice for something.

RitaCeleste
June 17th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Oh, sometimes I wash it because because its dry and coarse and getting frizzy and fly a-ways. I should wash it more just to get conditioner and water on it. Sadly my hygiene stinks, usually I just shower when I can smell myself. Its been a hot stinky summer here. I'm a non-oily sweaty person, its scary how long I can avoid showers without looking oily or getting smelly. However its been 100 degrees here all weak so even I'm sweating now.

longhairdntcare
June 17th, 2011, 04:34 PM
When my scalp gets gross. My hair doesn't look greasy even after a week (it is THAT dry) but I get flakies.

Mairéad
June 17th, 2011, 04:37 PM
When my scalp gets gross. My hair doesn't look greasy even after a week (it is THAT dry) but I get flakies.

Same. It takes my hair a long time to get greasy because it's so dry, but I have to wash because my scalp gets really gross and itchy.

McFearless
June 17th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Other. I wash my hair every 3 days so I can detangle it while its soaked in conditioner. I can't comb between washes. Combing dry curls=afro! If my hair was straight I'd be able to wash once a week, which would be ideal. However I think my hair does benefit from the moisture of a wash.

nena_shawty
June 17th, 2011, 08:12 PM
My head itching and my dad saying when are you gonna wash that hair?!lol

nena_shawty
June 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I can only leave my hair unwashed for 4 days 5 max.

EdG
June 17th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I wash my hair when it starts to clump together (approximately every 2-3 days).
Ed

curlymarcia
June 17th, 2011, 08:52 PM
i wash my hair when I have enough time to put a hair mask before the wash. I usually wash it before it's greasy, but if it gets greasy or my curls are out of control I have to wash it.

C.H.
June 17th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Intolerably itchy scalp is what really drives me to wash my hair.

Also, when my hair is unstraightened and needs a seriously good combing (it starts feeling nesty, which I can't stand), the only way I can do that is when it's wet and saturated with conditioner, so that will also compel me to wash my hair.

Schedule often makes it necessary for me to wash sooner or (usually) later than my scalp/nestiness dictates, because, realistically, I only have time for the whole "wash day" production on certain days of the week. Mainly Sunday. And it gets on my nerves how long it takes, so I procrastinate.

snakewitch
June 17th, 2011, 09:08 PM
There is no texture, it's puffy near the ends and greasy and flat near the top, smells bad, and if I were to put it in a ponytail and take it out, I'd see where the band was. Can't describe it better...

KittyLost
June 18th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Greasy. I use a dry shampoo to extend my hair a little longer but it then eventually goes limp and itchy.

Dr. Girlfriend
June 18th, 2011, 01:10 AM
When it starts to look greasy I'll go ahead and wash it. My hair is fairly thick so depending on how I'm wearing it I can usually go a good 3-4 days before this happens. I'll also wash if I used hairspray on a do, it's not fun to deal with it the next day otherwise.

beccababesx
June 18th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I use dry shampoo to stretch washes, so for me it's when the dry shampoo builds up and I get really bad dandruff.

Shoga
June 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Greasy for me. It's what happens first and I really can't stand a greasy scalp. I started scalp-only washing every other day and washing my length every 4th or so to prevent dryness. This has been working very well for me. =)

CastaDiva
June 18th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Greasy scalp. This usually occurs already on day one after washing, and by day two, or if I`m lucky, day three, the scalp is so greasy that I just have to wash in order to be presentable enough to be seen in public.

Squeak toy
June 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM
When my scalp gets too flaky. I have some dandruff. It used to be the greese but the more times I said "it looks a little greesey but I am too busy/ tired to wash it today" and waited the longer it can go now. Up to 1 1/2 weeks

skraprchik
June 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I tend to wash, or CO, whenever my hair starts itching. Usually works out to be around every 4 days.

DuckyDot
June 18th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I have Seborrheic Dermatitis, so I can't wash my hair too much or my scalp goes Crazy, but I can't leave it for too long or my scalp goes crazy Lol. I wash my hair 2x per week, on any days that I want. I wash when my scalp feels gunky (like really gunky) and when my hair smells a bit too greasy or looks too greasy. :) Sometimes I can go 1 week without washing (my hair!! LOL) but that's very rare.

defineinsanity
June 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I realise i wash my hair too frequently after seeing all the posts on this site... buuut i still can't stand when grease starts to show, so normally then :)

could just wear a hat out constantly...

CrisDee
June 18th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I'm gonna hafta say "other." By day 3 or 4, I start getting the greasies and hair cleavage (ick ick ICK!), but I don't often wait that long. On the days I'm flying, I usually CO wash before work and put it up wet to help keep me cool for work. But on my days off, I will often go the entire time without washing at all. So I guess you could say my hair suffers from irregularity. :D

Finoriel
June 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM
When it's starting to look greasy. :o Now that wasn't the most exciting answer, eh :lol:
Usually that's between 7 and 10 days and sometimes I just throw in a scalp wash.

Nev
June 18th, 2011, 12:19 PM
i wash when it get greasy! if i wait longer it itches, and i think me scratching causes too much damage.

C.H.
June 18th, 2011, 12:34 PM
When it's starting to look greasy. :o Now that wasn't the most exciting answer, eh :lol:
Usually that's between 7 and 10 days and sometimes I just throw in a scalp wash.

What would be an exciting answer??

Finoriel
June 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM
What would be an exciting answer??
I'm not sure :lol: maybe my cat starting to groom my head?

celebriangel
June 18th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Interesting... I don' t get the greasies anymore after my illness-induced period of SO, and I don't get an itchy scalp because I do scalp massages which seem to help that...i think. Normally I just wash whenever I feel like giving my hair a treat, which ends up being about once a week, but I've gone two weeks before with no ill effects.

firefly42
June 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM
the itchies and the greasiness.

jacqueline101
June 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Oiliness and build up.

x0h_bother
June 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I'm a daily washer here...and my hairline tells me. I sleep with my hair up and when I wake up I have a sweaty hairline-that's too gross for me so I just wash it.

Brenda
June 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Itchies...definately, the itchies.

Jcv-Shelley
June 18th, 2011, 07:27 PM
That sebum coating and stick to me hair. :disgust:

Fadedbluedreams
June 18th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Grease, Grease, baby...

Cathyish
June 18th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Greasy temples/hairline for me. Right now it's 2-3 days between CWC and once-weekly shampoo.

Dark Queen
June 18th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I try to prolong it as much as I can, so my vote goes to "if it's greasy".

gogirlanime
June 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Since I put Monistat in my hair and go to the gym daily and sweat like a pig, my hair screams for a shampoo every three days. My hair is also naturally very oily so I know that it needs it every three days, I can just feel it my mom calls it, "mayo hair"

heatherbelle
June 19th, 2011, 09:31 AM
The greasiness! I can only last 4 days at the most until I can't stand it and have to wash it.

racrane
June 19th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Itchiness and greasiness. My blond hair actually looks much darker after about a day and a half of not washing. It's that bad. Anyway, the winter I stretch the days out but in summer (only about 3 months of the year for WI) I only deal with sweatiness occasionally and thus have to wash more often.

pinknika
June 19th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Everything mentioned above but adding one thing that tells me straight up: it smells bad...not like bad but musky and oily..hahaha

Susana
June 19th, 2011, 01:44 PM
When I last did the No water method I asked a friend if my hair looked greasy to which she replied, "of course not, you just washed it, it's still wet!". Needless to day, I abandoned the no water, sebum only method shortly thereafter.:o

Yasmine91
June 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Top of my head is greasy while the rest is dry and starts to separate in chunks and loses movement. My head also itches and it all round just feels gross :P

pennyroyal
June 19th, 2011, 03:35 PM
When my scalp gets itchy & irritated, which is usually on the 3rd day, sometimes sooner.

slythwolf
June 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
My scalp itches, it's greasy and the ends are being more tangly.

summerjade
June 19th, 2011, 04:56 PM
It's an itchy scalp. That's why I wash it every day or I go crazy!!

bluesnowflake
June 19th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Greasiness, and I usually wash it every other day anyways.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
When my hair is greasy and my scalp is itchy and I feel like I need a boost, I wash my hair. Or if I have a special occasion coming up, I will wash my hair 2 days before so that it's perfect on the day of :D

IndigoAsh
July 3rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
when the hairs on my part clump when I run a brush through it. Or if I start noticing flakes.

EbonyCurls
July 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
I try to stick to a schedule. So, I guess Mondays and Thursdays tell me it's time to wash my hair :D
I had to go the schedule route because I turned out to not be a good judge of when it needs to be washed and eventually would wash it only after it turned into a stinky, knotted mess and my scalp would be red, flaky and irritated.

I used to HATE washing my hair so I would put it off gladly. Turns out though that the more I wash it on a regular basis the more enjoyable and less of a PITA it is to deal with it while washing.

MaryRose
July 3rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
My hair gets greasy. I can't go more than 3 days without water touching my hair.

BeautifulBlonde
July 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Greasy feeling & Irritated scalp.

To quote my beloved daddy "You're hair looks like you combed a pork-chop through it" normally means it's time to wash my hair.

I tend to wash 2 or 3 times a week. With my hair thinning at the moment (due to medication) I'm kind of unsure how to go about it, but I plan to just take it easy.

Venefica
July 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
My scalp starts to itch when my hair get dirty, in addition my my bangs parts and looks really horrible, then I know it is time to wash my hair.

longcurlygirl<3
July 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Since my hair is curly, I don't really have to wash for the greasies. Instead it is for the scalp itch, and because I can feel my hair is "dirty". But I also have a scheduele to skip 2-3 days after the hair wash.

feralnature
July 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
My hair will get limp around the crown but not greasy.

I like my white crown to be fluffy and light.

Kathie
July 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
I have a schedule. I haven’t had a need to deviate from it yet, but I would if my scalp got too itchy and greasy.

Zesty
July 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
I get kind of clumpy greasy and little dry white flakes start to show up. I don't know how my skin sometimes manages to be oily and dry at the same time, in the same place. :p I usually have to CO every other night (and that's a stretch), if I clarify I can wait an extra day.

LunaMoon
July 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM
I have a schedule. I am COing every other day and could go more without washing but I like the feeling to have fresh clean hair.
Also, so many products to try...:stirpot: