PDA

View Full Version : Dry ends?

Amber_Maiden
June 16th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I don't know how this could be... Since I did a big 9in chop at the beginning of May, but my ends look pretty bad...:( There are few splits, but most seem to be bent at weird angles at the ends... like severe angles... like instead of down they are going straight off to the left or right... It's very weird... :confused: And they are VERY dry. I've only ben CO now, t-shirt drying my hair, using aragon or avocado or shea butter... I don't know what else I can do... I'm looking into getting some Mason Pearson combs, but that won't be for another month at least. I've also done a ACV cleanse. I leave CO in my hair for hours at a time. I only using organic. No SLS or CONS or other things that you can't eat. I put mixed avo and banana masks in my hair for the last two weeks... (Avo seems to dry it out???). I haven't hennaed since... The beginning of May about...

Help? :justy:

Going to try to stay calm. :meditate:

PinkyCat
June 16th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Try leaving a glob oif coconut oil on just the ends. It absorbs into the hair and does not dry greasy. I do this every day & my ends are awesome.

xoxophelia
June 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Possibly build up or my second guess would be that the conditioner you are using has too much humectant for your hair (since this happened to me as well when I was using too much).

If you changed your routine and your hair has started to look more damaged I would suggest trying something else. Maybe shampoo your hair or clarify it, and then leave in a cheap CO (like VO5 kiwi/lime.. rules out the problem of humectant/silicone/protein) and some oil mixed together about 1:1. Maybe Coconut, EVOO, or Jojoba. Try to keep it in for at least an hour and then rinse it out (you may need a little bit of shampoo to do so.. you could also CO).

The other possibility is that your hair was previously damaged and it is catching up to you even with new methods. But, I would suggest trying the above out and see if it makes your ends more limp instead of dry.

Audrey Horne
June 16th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I mix condish with a bit of coconut oil and put it on my dry bits for hours. Then wash it off with cold hair. Then a bit of EVOO on wet hair.
Avoid protein! Stop using it for now and don't worry, I'm quite sure your ends are fixable.

monsterna
June 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Just going to say that my ends were being dry and tangled last week, but I've stopped using products with protein and they've straightened out. I would see if that could help you. My hair hates protein and feels like hay with it.

CarpeDM
June 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Try leaving a glob oif coconut oil on just the ends. It absorbs into the hair and does not dry greasy. I do this every day & my ends are awesome.

Yes this!!

Amber_Maiden
June 16th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Thank you everyone!!! I'll try the coconut oil!!! :)

Anje
June 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Sounds like buildup. Mine get that way when I use products with silicones or proteins -- for some reason both dry my hair out pretty bad. But even without either of them, you can still get buildup.

I'd suggest reading your conditioner ingredients list and possibly picking up a different conditioner without protein or silicone (if necessary). Clarify your hair. I prefer clarifying with sulfates, but you can use baking soda too. Baking soda's a lot harsher on hair, though. Then repeat all the nice soaking hair in conditioner stuff that you've been doing.

spidermom
June 16th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Another vote for coconut oil. The stuff is awesome for most of us, although there are exceptions, so don't buy a huge container of it. Make sure it's pure coconut oil, not one of those ethnic hair care products that say coconut oil on the front of the jar and starts with mineral oil on the ingredients list on the back of the jar.

Oh, and clarify first. I prefer a clarifying shampoo, but you can also mix about 1 tbsp of baking soda in a pint of warm water and pour that through your hair. Follow with coconut oil to damp hair or a moisture treatment.

If you have a dry climate, don't use anything with aloe vera gel or glycerin.