PDA

View Full Version : My hair type ~ opinions please.

UltraBella
June 16th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Now that I cut my hair and all that weight is off, I started to wonder if I am wrong about my hair type. I was never confident about my guess in the first place, to be honest !
So, please help hair type me :D Also, I would appreciate any recommendations for making my waves more defined or giving them some hold through the day. I don't normally use much on my hair, but I would like to make the most of what I've got texture wise.

I took these pics in the middle of the night. I couldn't sleep so I showered and washed my hair. My stylist put several different products in my hair on Tuesday and my scalp just didn't like it.

Wet hair :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_1057.jpg

Wet hair from the back :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_1060.jpg

Air dried, no products, bare hair :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_1062.jpg

Air dried, bare hair, from back :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_1067.jpg

So, what do you think I've got ?

krissykins
June 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM
It looks like more of a solid 2b to me, but it's a little difficult to tell with the flash.

skyblue
June 16th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I don't know how to hair type I just wanted
to say JEALOUS! Of your gorgeous THICK hair! ;)

selderon
June 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
You have thudtastic hair. 2B/C perhaps? I see S waves, some that end in little spirals.

UltraBella
June 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
My crown tends to be quite different than the rest of my hair. If I lifted up that very top layer, you would see a little mini Afro ! It's kinky frizz in that area only.

RitaPG
June 16th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Your hair type is Gorgeous :thud: and that's all I know

lapushka
June 16th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I can't decide between 2a and 2b.

xoxophelia
June 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Maybe you could try out the Curly Girl Method? I don't know much about it but the before and after pictures were impressive. I would also guess 2b but if you underside is more curly it could definitely be 2c (and even with some 3 thrown in?)

monsterna
June 16th, 2011, 11:33 AM
2b, methinks.

curlymarcia
June 16th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Uhhh, that's a hard question. It looks like 2b or 2c. Sorry I'm not helping, I just wanted to say that your hair is gorgeous. I love the color, the fullness, the waves. I love it!

BrightEyes7
June 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I agree with everyone about the 2b/c.

As for bringing out the best in your curls, have you ever tried plopping? You have a lot of hair and with that much hair comes a lot of weight! I'm sure you could really increase your waves if you would wash at night, detangle and then plop. You take a old shirt, I like one of a more absorbant material like cotton, and put it on the bed. Bend at the waist and pile all your hair on top of the shirt. Bring the shirt toward your head, twist the shirt on each side of your head and tie the two extra pieces together creating a sort of turban. When sleeping like this I get best results with a silk bonnet on top, but I'm also a 'violent night thrasher' as my sister always said.

I don't ever use much product, maybe a bit of curl enhancing cream before I plop but that's about it.

Gypsygirl
June 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM
2c. :) .

ashke50
June 16th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I don't know what type it is, but there is SO MUCH of it! Wow.

Very beautiful.

MissManda
June 16th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I think your hair looks 2c, but it's hard for me to tell with the flash.

Amber_Maiden
June 16th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I think your hair is about the same as mine....

silverstars
June 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM
It looks 2C to me. My hair does the same when I let it air dry. It looks lovely.

vanity_acefake
June 16th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Your hair type is Gorgeous :thud: and that's all I know

I Totally agree. Your hair is super gorgeous.

turtlelover
June 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I am guessing 2B, though I can't even seem to figure out my OWN hair type! HAHA

elbow chic
June 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I vote 2b! It's definitely too wavy for 2a, imo.

spidermom
June 16th, 2011, 02:07 PM
To my eye, 2B.

Mesmerise
June 16th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I will say 2b, but I'll also say that because you have a lot of layers it's harder to tell :o layers really bring out the wave for many people, so hair that may appear 2a without layers, may appear 2b or so with them.

This is why I say 2b, because it LOOKS almost 2c, but because of the layers I'm thinking it's showing a lot more wave than it would without them. In fact your hair is so thick and heavy, that if you had no layers it might even appear to be 2a.

I think hairtyping is really a fairly inexact thing anyway because some hair is such a mix of types :).

UltraBella
June 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
So, 2b seems to have the majority vote so far.

I am going to try plopping, it sounds very interesting !

elbow chic
June 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I will say 2b, but I'll also say that because you have a lot of layers it's harder to tell :o layers really bring out the wave for many people, so hair that may appear 2a without layers, may appear 2b or so with them.

This is why I say 2b, because it LOOKS almost 2c, but because of the layers I'm thinking it's showing a lot more wave than it would without them. In fact your hair is so thick and heavy, that if you had no layers it might even appear to be 2a.

I think hairtyping is really a fairly inexact thing anyway because some hair is such a mix of types :).

I agree with all of this! My hair with layers looks easily 2c but if it's all one length with the straightish canopy laying on top of the curly underlayer, it does well to even look 2a sometimes.

So it's like, "which one is my 'real' hairtype?!" Are the layers cheating, or is the all-one-length actually stifling its 'true' nature?

Ah, LHC, the things you make me ponder.

jojo
June 16th, 2011, 04:54 PM
2b I am going to say and very beautiful too

BlazingHeart
June 16th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I think you're right with the 2b. You know, I said something in another thread about us having similar hair, but not when we air-dry untouched! I'm either 1c or 1c/2a, slow body waves and nothing else. I wanted strong waves or curls in my teens like you wouldn't believe.

I'm actually sitting here right now with my hair sloooooowly drying so I can get a good hair-typing photo. I usually go to bed with my hair wet, so I'm not sure how much of my waviness is due to being slept on. I'm having SUCH a hard time not fussing with it.

~Blaze

spidermom
June 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM
For 2C, I'd expect to see a few ringlets in unmanipulated, air-dried hair (I get them). That's why I vote 2B. I see plenty of small S-waves.

My favorite way to bring out my curliest texture is to wash my hair before bed, and then "puddle" my hair into the space between a pillow I've crammed down between the mattress and the bedframe and the pillow for my head. I wake up with such gorgeous ringlets! I wish gravity didn't drag them out the next day. Oh well - I usually have to put my hair up anyway, else it's all over the place, hot and in my way.