PDA

View Full Version : Those who wear their hair down!

monsterna
June 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Okay, I don't know if there's a thread for this or not, but I'm starting one! Let's see where it goes, haha.

I wear my hair down 95% of the time. For one, I look ridiculous with my hair up at the moment. Once it gets longer, it'll look better, I hope. I have a strange-shaped head. Also, I have a pretty sensitive scalp.

I feel bad seeing all the nice updos here and that I can't do them yet, and even doing a bun hurts me. :( So my go-to style is a half up with a claw clip, and bobby pins to hold back my bangs to the sides. I wish I could wear it up more to protect it, but I feel like I look like crap, and that gets me way down and I don't even want to try. Hopefully as it grows! :o

So I'd love to hear from other people who hardly ever wear theirs up! Why do you? Do you just like it? Do you too have a sensitive scalp? How do you minimize the damage? :)

Sabriel
June 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I usually wear my hair down since I look much better that way. However, I am trying to wear it up more and learn some flattering updos to prevent damage. But I'm not growing my hair because of how it'll look up; I'm growing it because it'll look beautiful down. So I plan on wearing it down at least a few times a week.

How much you can get away with wearing it down depends on how long you want it and how prone to damage you are. This came up in the why have long hair thread (I think) - people who go past hip typically don't wear it up much, and preventing damage is a huge part of that. Personally, hip is the longest I'll ever want my hair to be so I should be able to get away with it. The shorter your goal length is, the better off you are in that respect.

As far as preventing damage while it's down, all I can really say is be very aware of your hair. I've caused myself some unpleasant damage in the past by not paying attention to it and getting it caught in something. Be wary of seatbelts and the backs of chairs. Pull it over your shoulder when sitting so it doesn't rub on the back of your chair. And if you know you're going to be exposing it to rough conditions, just wear it up. (Like if it's a windy day and you're going to spend time outside)

monsterna
June 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM
As far as preventing damage while it's down, all I can really say is be very aware of your hair. I've caused myself some unpleasant damage in the past by not paying attention to it and getting it caught in something. Be wary of seatbelts and the backs of chairs. Pull it over your shoulder when sitting so it doesn't rub on the back of your chair. And if you know you're going to be exposing it to rough conditions, just wear it up. (Like if it's a windy day and you're going to spend time outside)

I do all of that already, so yay! :) I'm very aware of it. I don't even like DH touching it the wrong way! It's over my shoulders if there's a chance it could rub on something. And a silk pillowcase is my best friend. :cloud9:

Brenda714
June 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hi, I hardly ever wear my hair up because I think I look funny. Maybe cause I gained some weight, I don't know, but it is just weird seeing just a face with no hair hanging down. Girl we got the same problem :)

TheLurkingToad
June 15th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I wear my hair down almost all of the time. I wear it up when dealing with food or I'm outside.

I wear my hair down so often I feel kind of odd when it is up for extended periods of time so that could be part of why I like it down but doesn't explain why I started doing this. I'm actually trying to wear it up more now for the sake of change but I'm stuck in my ways.

I don't consciously try to prevent damage. I just have a good hair sense that has been developed over years.

pepperminttea
June 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM
You might want to check out this group (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=193). :)

monsterna
June 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
You might want to check out this group (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=193). :)

Thanks! The search function for groups is horrible... hehe.

QueenJoey
June 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I wear my hair down almost all of the time. I was starting to feel like a freak here, where most people seem to wear their hair up. I just like feeling my hair on my back and arms; there's a certain comfort that comes with that. It's like my hair is a security blanket I carry everywhere with me! I do get alot of split ends and tangles, but I use leave in conditioner and an assortment of oils to take care of it all day.

battles
June 15th, 2011, 09:07 PM
My hair is normally down. It's too short to get into any decent style yet, so it'll stay down until I'm able to do something with it. :p

xoerincolleen
June 15th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I love to wear my hair down. I just think I look horrible with it up. I have a round, chubby face and having my hair all back just accentuates it! I used to wear it down all the time, but I've been trying really hard to wear it up more often...I've started wearing it up whenever I go to work and whenever I'm around the house and have been starting to reserve wearing it down for when I'm going out somewhere/doing something social.

dulce
June 16th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I wear it up when exercising or cleaning house but down the rest of the time.I get headaches if it's up all the time.

meowmeow
June 16th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I wear my hair down most of the time. It's the preferred way to wear my hair (even though I love my hairtoys). I just think it's nicer like that, and it's also curly which I appreciate and want to show off. When I do wear my hair up, I tend to have a sore spot on my scalp at the end of the day which I take to mean that I should probably take a break from wearing it up consecutively.

As for minimizing damage, I'm just conscious of it and move it out of the way when I need to.

Sweetie
June 16th, 2011, 01:24 AM
I love to wear my hair down too! I'm pretty good in braiding, and all the rest, but actually the longer my hair gets, the more I love to wear them loose.....

jojo
June 16th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I used to love wearing my hair down, however this is proving harder now im past waist as it tangles and gets in my face. My compromise is the occasional pony which lasts about an hour and its in my face again!

so for me up is much better and less annoying!

IanB
June 16th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Down is best!

Guenhwyvar
June 16th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I also hate how my hair looks up. Now its longer though, for some reason I dont think is looks as bad? Maybe I just have more confidence?

I almost feel bad for wearing it down today, but I have managed to do soft (heatless) curls and I have never managed curls before (even when I had tried with heat - including a hair dresser, my hair just will not hold curls). So it seems a silly to hide the curls now I have them, but I want to protect it. Its so soft and shiny and thick how I have been tying it up, chemical free etc. And it grows faster.

Saoirse
June 16th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I just cut back from longer-than-classic to a sort of tailbone/hip length and I am going to be wearing my hair down non-stop. :wink: At longer lengths I really miss wearing it down. I feel much more attractive now too. :wink:

Signe
June 16th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I am very self conscious with my hair up...I don't think it is very flattering for my round face. I have been trying to wear it in braids and buns, as it has gotten too long for this windy Scottish weather lately, but I inevitably take out whichever hairstyle it is in because I miss its warmth and the feel of it on my back and shoulders.
DBF said the other day that he loved when I had it up, so that has given me a boost of confidence, but I definitely don't ever think I will feel "me" with it up...down and wild is just so much more fun!

Slinks
June 16th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I love to wear my hair down when I go out but when I'm home I wear it up .. I have a gorgeous collection of stix and I now have a fork and a flexi 8 .. I do think if I can get my hair to hip I will wear it up more, I'd love to wear the chinese braid with my fork out tho :-)

PS I want to see if I can do something with the sides of my bangs like have a half moon shape around my face .. I wonder if that would suit me ..

Zindell
June 16th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Oh, finally a "group" that suits me. :D

I wear my hair down pretty much always! I just like the way I look with my hair down.

Once in a blue moon I wear a dutch braid, or a half-up with a small braid in the back.
Sometimes in the summer if it get's really hot, I twist my hair up with a beak clip. (French Twist kinda)

But honestly, most days, my hair is down and free. :cheese:

Becky9679
June 16th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I love wearing it down (I'm another who feels like they've got a slightly odd-shaped head that most updos accentuate) but my hair is prone to tangling very quickly. I can brush it, leave it for 5 minutes, then pick up the brush again and somehow tangles will have formed! This has been improved somewhat by going CO and using ACV but I'm still very wary of tangling and don't wear my hair down anywhere near as often as I'd like to.

Ribbon
June 16th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I wear mine down at least half the week - my hair is between APL and BSL so it doesn't get in the way too much unless it's windy.

I just find it easier sometimes to comb and go!

For up styles, I often am quick too - just twirl in a bun or do a simple braid.

Silverdragn7385
June 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM
My hair looks horrible up...it gets so slick against my small, weird-shaped head. It looks 150%better down!!! But I do wear it up during the work week...mostly because I have to be at work at 8 a.m. and I'd have to get up super early if I wanted to fix my hair. So I wear it in a damp, ugly bun. But if I have somewhere to go during the week, on weekends, on vacations...it's always DOWN!!!

NotInPortland
June 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Mine is down most of the time as well in public, although at home I'll usually put it in a braid or a bun. Like many of you my face just looks better when it's framed by my hair! At the moment I'm not really aiming for a length too long so I think I'll be ok, and frankly I'm not going to start keeping my hair up all of the time to prevent damage, if growing longer means having to keep it up all the time I wouldn't bother I enjoy having it down too much for that :p

cheetahfast
June 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I love wearing my hair down! I lost a little bit of weight from walking more often so now my face is very thin and looks harsh when I pull my hair up. I usually wear my hair down on wash days about 2 or 3 times a week. The day after a wash I'll either do half up or pull it up with a spin pin, it depends since my hair gets frizzy and I haven't found a good natural styler yet.

BroadwayBeauty
June 16th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I always wear my hair down! I've never really learned how to put my hair up, except for a few braiding techniques. I also have a hearing aid (cool with me, but I get a lot of ignorant questions because I'm young) and it's just easier to have my hair down cover up the hearing aid than it is to have it up and deal with dumb people :D

Saeth
June 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I wear mine down most of the time also. I'll tie it back if it's windy, or I'm doing something which equals a lot of movement and possibly tangles. At night I always tie it back to reduce knots. I like having it down, even despite the life long battle of it being very flat on the roots. But also I'm *clueless* on fancy styles and braids and what not :D

BlazingHeart
June 16th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I only put it back or up if there's a reason - heat, wind, for exercise, so on. Otherwise, I tend to leave it down partly because that's the lowest effort way to wear it for me, partly because I get headaches from 'dos easily.

~Blaze

kitschy
June 16th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I rarely wear my hair up, but it is more out than down. It's just too much, to full, to wild to contain very well.

kmoc123
June 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I wear my hair down most of the time...I feel the same way as you guys....I guess I hide under all this hair...

RubyEmpress
June 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I mostly wear my hair down except when it's really windy out, hot and sticky or if I need to wash. I feel like my face looks to chubby and round when I pull my hair up. Also, since my hair is so fine I feel like my updo's look so tiny!

alyanna
June 16th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I love wearing my hair down! In fact, why grow it out if it's gonna be tucked away all the time (although I understand if it's past waist it could get in the way).

My face does quite well with my hair up but my problem is my ears, which are big and very uneven. I actually thought about having otoplasty done to pin them back but never really bothered with that. I'd love to be able to do fancy updos and wear my hair up more though. I just look like Dumbo the Dork when I do :p

vlhxo
June 16th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I love wearing my hair down! I wear it down most days; I usually put in some mousse to define my waves and tame frizz. I love the feeling of hair cascading down my back. When I do wear it up, I usually do a low ponytail or a single, loose English braid. I'm at my longest length in 3 or 4 years and I like to enjoy the long-ness, so it's always hanging down my back in some way. Luckily my hair is pretty strong and doesn't tangle much, and splits aren't too bad as long as I S&D every couple weeks.

luxepiggy
June 17th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I like to wear my hair down during the day, although I tend to put it up for evenings out, lest I end up dipping it in someone's cocktail! I feel a lot more feminine and flirty when it's down though (^(oo)^)