PDA

View Full Version : vent about sister's hair

QueenJoey
June 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure if I want advice or anything, I just really needed to say this to people who would understand and (hopefully) won't think me too overbearing.

So me and my little sister are really close. We have our fights and arguments, of course, but at the end of the day she is my best friend. Even though she's constantly ridiculing me for wanting to have super long hair, I still talk to her about every step of the way to my goal.

This isn't about my hair, though, it's about hers. You see, all our life we've had this "system" that kind of goes unsaid, but it's obviously there. It goes like this: She's jealous that I'm the super (grossly, in my opinion) skinny sister. And I'm jealous of her hair. She has (well, used to have) this hip length hair. It's so long, thick, and gorgeous, with this naturally perfect golden brown color. People used to gawk at her hair when she walked by. (actually, the hair was just part of it. She's also the sister with the drop dead, beautiful face).

Now, the system has been broken. About 3 months ago, she cut her then waist length hair too shoulder, her first real haircut in her life. Then, she stripped the golden color in some spots to this bronzy color, and even put in some pink streaks! The only good thing about this hair change is that the cut brought out these lovely, perfect waves....but she straightens them! She says they look too frizzy.

Her once swoon-worthy hair has been practically demolished. Thankfully, she wants to grow her hair back out, says she wants the weight of longer hair to make it go straight again. I miss that stunning hair, I miss the perfection of our system.

Wow, if anyone read through that entire rant, I'm sorry. That was months worth of irritation ready to explode.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8057&pictureid=105418
here is me and my sister. She's the one on the left. Sorry if this picture is huge, I don't know how to resize it :(

Emmental
June 15th, 2011, 07:26 PM
<snip>I miss that stunning hair, I miss the perfection of our system.<snip>

I think it's great she decided to experiment. I wish I shaved my head (I've always wanted to), got dreads, and did a few other fun things when I was younger. She likely won't be able to do fun, wild, and crazy things if she goes into a professional field, so now is the time. That said, I do understand missing the perfection of a "sister system". You will organically create a new "perfect". :)

QueenJoey
June 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I think it's great she decided to experiment. I wish I shaved my head (I've always wanted to), got dreads, and did a few other fun things when I was younger. She likely won't be able to do fun, wild, and crazy things if she goes into a professional field, so now is the time. That said, I do understand missing the perfection of a "sister system". You will organically create a new "perfect". :)

You're right. She was tired of her hair. It was so pretty, we never let her cut it. I don't like her hair, but I'd hate it more if she just always resented it. I'm being a bit of a hypocrite. I've cut my hair to a bob and dyed it, I just never cared about my hair because pretty hair was her part of our sibling rivalry.

battles
June 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
She's allowed to do what she likes with her hair. It belongs to her. I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand why you're ranting about this on a public forum. :confused: Perhaps you should have talked to her instead?

Rocket22
June 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Well I read the entire thing and I think you both are completely adorable!!! I think it should go like this.... you grow your hair to your goal and keep it healthy or whatever you need to do to have it the most perfect hair you can have and you will no longer need to worry about what your sisters hair is doing :) she will experiment probably many more times and then she will join LHC to get her hair back :)

luthein
June 15th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Sometimes your hair has to take a very hard fall before you realize just how valuable and precious your hair is to you. When I was in high school, I dyed my BSL hair black several times, and then I decided, "I want it blonde again!"

Whoa, I ruined my hair. I broke it right off. In hindsight, that hair disaster was the best thing that ever happened to me. It prompted me to find a longhair forum, and I learned how to make my hair its absolute best. Experimenting is fun! We do it all the time with different oils, conditioners/shampoos, leave-ins, herbal options...you name it.

Rocket22
June 15th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Sometimes your hair has to take a very hard fall before you realize just how valuable and precious your hair is to you. When I was in high school, I dyed my BSL hair black several times, and then I decided, "I want it blonde again!"

Whoa, I ruined my hair. I broke it right off. In hindsight, that hair disaster was the best thing that ever happened to me. It prompted me to find a longhair forum, and I learned how to make my hair its absolute best. Experimenting is fun! We do it all the time with different oils, conditioners/shampoos, leave-ins, herbal options...you name it.

Well you were lucky that it only took you once :) somehow I have been doing this my entire life and just now am figuring it out (guess I'm a slow learner) :)

pepperminttea
June 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I think it's great she decided to experiment. I wish I shaved my head (I've always wanted to), got dreads, and did a few other fun things when I was younger. She likely won't be able to do fun, wild, and crazy things if she goes into a professional field, so now is the time.

Agreed. Now's the time to mess with it and experiment. :) In my case, I dyed and permed my hair. Neither were great ideas for the health of my hair, but I enjoyed it, and looking for a job now, the dark purple/red frazzled hair I had then wouldn't help me at all. In school, it didn't really matter to anyone but me. :D

turtlelover
June 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM
You both have very pretty faces and would look good w/ a lot of different hairstyles. Have fun experimenting -- you are young! Hope you enjoy your time here! :-)

spidermom
June 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
You are both very pretty.

Annibelle
June 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM
You're both so pretty!!!

My cousin, who used to have long, perfect hair, has kept it short for the last few years. I don't get it! Her hair is so perfectly silky! But now she's decided she wants it long again after I mentioned that I was growing mine longer (didn't give her specifics). :cheese: Maybe she'll let me practice braiding her hair... :p

UltraBella
June 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
She's allowed to do what she likes with her hair. It belongs to her. I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand why you're ranting about this on a public forum. :confused: Perhaps you should have talked to her instead?

Why not rant about it here ? I see rants of all kinds daily. This is a safe place to share opinions, vent, ask for advice......without fear of hurting anyone. If she is not ready to talk to her sister, then I welcome her talking to us.

Mesmerise
June 15th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I understand where you're coming from! Even though it's your sister's hair and she needs to be given the opportunity to experiment and stuff with it, it's hard to see such beautiful hair cut and dyed etc.

I resisted cutting my daughter's hair for years because she has this beautiful thick but fine hair that people used to comment on and gasp over. I remember when she was three years old people would say, "Oh gosh, that is the thickest braid I've ever seen on such a small child!" and would gush over her pretty hair. I can't have hair like that myself, so I darn well wanted it on her ;)

The truth is though, she finds it very difficult to care for (it's the tangliest hair I've ever seen lol) and she needs to get short hair out of her system too! I'd hate her to turn out like one of my friends who was forced to have super long hair as a young child, then chopped it off when she was about 10 or 11 and has worn it in a pixie ever since! I think sometimes people have to go through all that stuff in order to learn what they really like (which is hopefully long, beautiful hair!!).

battles
June 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Why not rant about it here ? I see rants of all kinds daily. This is a safe place to share opinions, vent, ask for advice......without fear of hurting anyone. If she is not ready to talk to her sister, then I welcome her talking to us.

I can understand that.. I'm putting myself into the situation and thinking of it from that perspective. I'd be a little upset if my sister had gone to other people talking about me instead of directly talking to me about it. Maybe that's just me though. I didn't mean to come off in a rude manner.

Hiriel
June 16th, 2011, 03:29 AM
I understand, actually. It's her hair to do with as she pleases of course, but that doesn't mean you can't feel a bit sad to see such beautiful hair go. Also, you look so much like Angela in Bones in that picture!

jojo
June 16th, 2011, 03:41 AM

agreed! and where better to rant about a hair issue than here!

I can understand why this upsets you but just let her do her own thing, she will learn good habits from you hopefully. And you are both as pretty as each other.

Hope you feel better now x

Signe
June 16th, 2011, 03:53 AM
wow I just wanted to say that you are both gorgeous!

Pandora.
June 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM
You're both such beautiful people :)

Last year when I completely destroyed my own hair, I was so jealous of my sister's long, thick and very light blonde hair, and since my hair was damaged, horrendously thin and gross. Jealousy is such a horrible thing to feel :( but luckily my hair has recovered now and we pretty much have the exact same hair since my hair now is sooo much thicker and hers has gotten somewhat thinner ;)

BlazingHeart
June 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
My sister's hair mostly makes me feel...sad. She's got the glorious strong red that maybe 1/6 of the people on my mom's side of the family get...and the last time I saw her, it was bleached almost white blonde - not even a 'nice' dye, it was that horrible unnatural peroxide color.

I've never had the same eye-catching color she does, and she's always hated her color. I was sandy-blonde as a kid and darkened to auburn-y chestnut in my late teens, then sadly seem to have lost some of what red I did have.

~Blaze

RitaPG
June 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM
You are so pretty! Both of you ^^
And hey! We have the same goal length :D
All siblings have their disagreements, I have them with my sister too. You should see your sister as an example, it's just hair, she was bored and tried something different. A little too drastic, perhaps, but it's all good, it was fun while it lasted and now you're both growing it out now:)

TheBluffs
June 16th, 2011, 06:47 PM
You botha are gorgoues! :)
How about in her growing out stage, help her? Show her some LHC tricks. And scince you are sisters, I can't imagine how much fun it it would be to have hair pampering marathons! And before you two know it, she will have her old gorgoues hair back.