PDA

View Full Version : How to get volume when air drying?

insomniac-uk
June 15th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Hi some advice please, for those who air dry how do you get volume in the roots. The length and ends of my hair look good I get some nice waves but the top looks flat. Any advice? (my drying method CO wash then air dry with my hair down till about 90% dry then put up in two buns, I dont add any products)

Panth
June 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure about during drying, but I always get masses of volume when I put my hair up this way:

1. Divide (dry, preferably freshly detangled) hair into two halves.
2. Bring two halves over your shoulders.
3. Lean forwards slowly, until you are bent over and your hair is hanging below your head.
4. Gently gather your hair (with hands or comb) into a ponytail at the very centre of the top of your head - yes, right smack in the middle so that if you drew a line over the top from ear to ear it would be on it.
5. Make a cinnabun and pin.

I do that bun when I'm at home since it is the best one for trying not to overheat in the summer weather (though it looks awful on me). I always get mega-volume once it's been in for a few hours and I take it down.

caiti42
June 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
For me it's all in the co washing method. I apply. Scrub for about 2 mins with a really light conditioner. Then leave it to sit for a couple of minutes and put my head under the shower really quickly and then do another scrub before washing out. I then condition the ends only with a heavier conditioner and finish with a cold rince. That extra scrub gives me nice lift on the roots. :)

allycat
June 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I used to only wash my hair at night because I used to get fantastic volume and wave from just going to bed with damp, loose hair (not soaking wet). I don't know how long your hair is, but I don't do it so much anymore because mine has gotten too long, and now I need to braid it for sleep.

It just doesn't do that during the day when I'm vertical. I guess it's gravity - pulls it down.

Although I will say that recently since I started using henna it seems thicker, and if I air dry it during the day, if I kind of lift the roots up after towel-drying and sort of set them in place and then just really, really leave it alone, no touching it's pretty good. The more I touch my hair when it's drying, the flatter it gets.

Hope that helps!

shikara
June 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I agree with Panth. A bun, a braid, a pony, rollers - just get that damp hair close to the scalp facing north instead of south!! Of course, products will also accomplish this, but many of us choose not to use them (including me).

turtlelover
June 15th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Little claw clips lifting hair on the top of your head when it dries can give good root lift, too.

Roscata
June 15th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Little claw clips lifting hair on the top of your head when it dries can give good root lift, too.

This^ or steel duckbill clips (http://salon.wimexbeauty.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/61052B.jpg) holding hair up at the roots is a good way to give root volume. Also you can bend over and gently massage your scalp to loosen up your hair at the roots, then flipping your hair back. :D

insomniac-uk
June 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the tips, I did try Panth's method on my dry hair and it worked well :) Will try the clips next on damp hair. I think allycat's method is the easiest but unfortunately if I go to bed with damp hair I get frizz as well as volume:D Thanks again i love this forum everyone is so nice:)