PDA

View Full Version : Only Silvers breaking

homeeduk8tor
June 15th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I was brushing my hair this morning and noticed that only my silver hairs seem to be breaking. How weird is that? Maybe they are just new hairs? Anyone else ever notice this about your hair?

IanB
June 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Blimey, hope that's not an omen as most of mine are sliver!

celebriangel
June 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't brush my hair at all if my hair were snapping!

Switch to a wide-tooth comb and comb *gently* starting a few inches from the bottom. If your hair is snapping, it probably needs a moisture treatment. Try an SMT.

Anje
June 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Do the hairs have little bulbs on the ends like shed hairs do? Or are they blunt/split ended? That's the easiest way to tell if they're breaking or just falling out.

Assuming they're breaking, it's probably a question of whether they need some sort of treatment, probably protein or moisture. (Take into account what usually makes a difference for you, of course.) If you grab one and try to stretch it, does it just break, stretch a bit, or stretch a lot? Really stretchy hair needs protein, really snappy hair needs more moisture.

As I understand it, it's not abnormal for gray hair to be dryer than pigmented hair, though I don't really know why that should be. (The few grays on my head have the same texture as the rest of my hair.) You might need to look at the ingredients in your products, try a few things, and see if you can find ingredients that you need to keep or avoid for your optimal hair health. Post ingredients lists if you want help with analysis.

Annibelle
June 15th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I've seen some salt-and-peppers whose peppers were perfect, but their salts were very dry. Could this be your problem? I'm not sure how you'd fix it, though, as you don't want to over-moisturize your other hairs in fixing these ones... but maybe it's just new growth! Maybe next time you shed one, compare it to your colored strands and see if it's coarser/drier/more brittle?

Delila
June 15th, 2011, 12:04 PM
My silver strands do seem to need more moisture than the rest of my hair. I'm not sure what to do about it, other than to make sure I just condition all my hair regularly.

Snapping strands can sometimes mean there's protein overload, right? Could that be an issue for you?

Elenna
June 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
The silver hairs do tend to be more fragile than the pigmented hairs. It seems that most of my hair problems are from the silvers. More moisture, more gentle combing, etc seems to help.