PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Sensitivity

YesitsReal
June 15th, 2011, 07:31 AM
As my hair has gotten longer, I have noticed that my scalp has become more sensitive to pulling. I had to take out my bun and braid it the other day, because the pulling was driving me crazy. I've never had this problem before, even when I did a "Wear it Up" challenge. I have really fine hair, so I don't really think it's a weight issue. Has anybody else had experience with this?

monsterna
June 15th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I have, as well. Claw clips are even hurting me now. Ficcares hurt a lot, and often pull my hair out because they're so heavy. Scrunchies hurt. Normal ponytail holders don't seem to be bad, but everything else is hurting. Hopefully someone can chime in soon. :(

Alaia
June 15th, 2011, 08:26 AM
It's hard to figure out ways to stop pulling.

Perhaps you are doing the styles too tightly? Looser is usually better (though I can understand being afraid the updo will fall out!).

I usually just tug on the pulling strands near the root, out of the updo, until they don't pull anymore, or redo the style loosely. That said, I still can't wear Ficcares except for in a very limited range of styles because of the weight.

GeoJ
June 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
My scalp gets sensitive in a few situations. One is if I am regularly pulling my hair up too tightly. Another is if my hairstyle is not secure enough during physical activity on a frequent basis (ex: my bun starts moving up and down when I'm doing jumping jacks). The other things I have had trouble with are using products that my scalp doesn't like, and if I am getting dandruff problems my scalp may become sore.

What helps me, if styling is the problem, is double Dutch braids with the ends brought back up in a faux crown. It seems to evenly distribute the weight of my hair and minimize pulling.

AuburnTresses
June 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Yup. I have a very sensitive scalp, and can get headaches or dizziness when I put my hair up as well.:rolleyes:
Recently I've been able to put my hair up occasionally, but I would like to be able to do it more regularly as right now it's rather hit and miss.
If anyone has any ideas or help on the subject I'd love to hear it.:)

gthlvrmx
June 15th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I have a sensitive scalp too and braided updo's (especially braided buns or those wrapped over the head braids) are the gentlest on my scalp. I usually get dizzy or a headache when it's pulling, plus the extra hairs pulled out are not fun at all.
If your hair is long enough, maybe you could try hair taping. Or you could learn to do it later when it is longer :) I certainly am.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME
I suppose you could make the two braids without making a pony(they hurt me after a while!) and wrap the ribbon around a few more times to make it secure.
But yeah, braids (when loose first close to the scalp) are the best for me so far.

And might i add a braided nautilus bun? Maybe?

Anje
June 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I think it's normal to have a sensitive scalp or be intolerant of pulling from time to time. But if it seems to be a continual thing, I agree, you need to see if there's something you should change in how you style your hair to prevent it.

I hear sectioning hair into two parts helps. You bun the top half, then wrap the bottom around that. Some people find top-of-the-head buns which rest there due to gravity rather than tension on scalp hair to be more comfortable (though they always give me sore follicles). I find that horizontal hairsticks are less likely to pull than vertical or diagonal ones. Try a few things, see if anything helps.