PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Use To Break Brushes Before Coming Here

Dragon
June 15th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Did anyone else use to be bad at braking brushes before coming here?

I use to often rip the handles off and the cushion out of those cushioned brushes while detangling before I came here. I haven't broken one since I've been here and I have never gone so long before with out braking a few of them.

julliams
June 15th, 2011, 04:39 AM
To come to think of it - same here. I can think of a few occasions when I broke my brush. Now I break solid wooden ketylo hairsticks!!!! DOH!

Venefica
June 15th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I have generally been kind to my brushes. I found an old brush in my mothers cabinet while helping cleaning it out. It still had long, blond hairs in it from before I cut my hair, dyed it black, cut it again and now have grown it out to tail bone. I have a tendency to loose my brushes though. I had a triangle shaped brush as a little girl, I loved that brush, I was both good to use and looked cool, but it is nowhere to be found. :(

Becky9679
June 15th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I haven't used one of those cushioned brushes for years but when I did use them I would frequently get them caught in my hair and rip out the cushion or the bristles themselves. Also they were rubbish for detangling and generally I found them to be very damaging to my hair. It was actually a bit of a quest to find a brush or comb that I could get on with until I discovered Denman brushes in my teens. I've found nothing better :)

BlazingHeart
June 15th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I've broken a couple of brushes by pulling out the cushion or pulling out pins using it in my hair, but when someone says something about breaking a brush, I always remember my father snapping off the handle of a brush using it in my hair when I was little - maybe 8 years old?

And then, of course, the brush needed to be detangled from my hair *shudder* It was one of those horrid brushes that's shaped vaugely like a BBB but has synthetic bristles. Matter of fact, I think he may have snapped two in my hair - a red one and a blue one.

It was very upsetting.

~Blaze

CrystalStar
June 15th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I've managed to snap the handles of 3 big, thick paddle brushes in my time! To be fair I used to attack my hair like a beast, and my brushing has calmed down a lot now. :p But I still have a wooden brush that's a bit harder to break! :laugh:

Intransigentia
June 15th, 2011, 12:38 PM
My hair used to pull the little balls off the ends of the bristles, but I've never actually broken a brush.

Kyla
June 15th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I've never broken a brush, but I have broken some wooden combs, and many hair clips! After a while, my hair is just too much for them, and they snap at the hinge!

ouseljay
June 15th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Oh yes, I have broken many brushes in my time. Pulled the cushiony bit out, snapped the handle, the little balls at the end always got pulled off (and then I'd find them in my hair later...). But I haven't used a brush since I came to LHC and my hair seems to approve. It has even stopped eating combs. (Omnom.)

hyettf16
June 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM
If I've ever broken a brush, it was cheap.

littlestarface
June 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Yes only once,the one thing my hair keeps breaking is those claw clips everytime I put one in my hair *snap* first one, then next time another one, until no more claws. I guess they cant handle my buns.

MonaLisa
June 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I'm guilty too! :(
broke at least a few...
used to be so harsh :(
I face the consequence everyday...

katsrevenge
June 15th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Yup. Pulled out the cushion things, removed the bristles, and once pulled the handle off a wooden one.

And no.. I wasn't brushing that hard. They'd just get tangled in!

Jenn of Pence
June 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Before LHC, I broke a couple of brushes.........because my hair had been unspeakably hacked on by a scissor-happy stylist and I threw them at the wall in anger and frustration!!

Now I know better than to do something silly like get my hair cut. ;)

tigereye
June 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I broke one once, but it wasn't exactly the sturdiest one. It was the kind with the bristles on a kind of mesh, so that air could pass through if you were say, blowfrying your hair (don't know where I got it from, because I never used a hair dryer anyway...) Anyway, the meshy bit came out, bent and snapped and the rim that held it in came off. Dad tried to fix it at the time, but gave up and I moved on to my lovely gentle Denman brush instead.

timotej
June 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Yes, I've broken several, and my hair is not even thick. First the bristles would go one after one, and then finally, snap! I would have the handle in my hand and the brush in my hair. :)

jujube
June 18th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Didn't everyone do that? I'm however still breaking my small clips. I'm just trying to pull my bangs back, and another one bites the dust.

RitaCeleste
June 18th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I still break brushes. I've got one I keep ripping the pad with bristles right out of. My hair takes a beating some days. I start out doing it right and after a bit, well speedy has got to move it along! I'm thinking waist length may turn out to be terminal for me. ;)

Xandergrammy
June 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I've done it once or twice. :gabigrin: Scary, too, because one of the parts went flying across the room.

jacqueline101
June 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I used to buy cheap brushes at the dollar store and I would break them I dont know if it was my hair or the quality.

SpeakingEZ
June 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I've ripped cushions out of brushes plenty of times in my pre-LHC days. I'd just pop 'em back in and keep brushing.

Dark Queen
June 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Many years ago my favorite brush was a cheapy plastic brush similar to today's Tangle Teezers, but much lower quality. Looking back, I now know the reason it was so nice is because the bristles were flexible like the TT's, however since the brush was a cheapy, my hair broke the bristles off.

PianoPlaye
June 19th, 2011, 03:05 AM
After years of use, and it being the brush of choice for the whole family, my Denman snapped. I bought another one, binned the snapped handle & the "short brush" goes travelling/camping with us.
One of my sons regards it as a treat to be allowed to disassemble it, clean it & put it all back together again. :D

Guenhwyvar
June 19th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I used to xD. I ended up glueing the cushion back to the base a few times :undecided

timotej
June 19th, 2011, 04:23 AM
I used to xD. I ended up glueing the cushion back to the base a few times :undecided

Oh you reminded me - me too! I had forgotten that. :)

dragonmyst
June 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
You know those paddle brushes with the soft cushion thing? My hair used to rip them right out of the brush. **rolls eyes**

more often I break hair clips, claws and hair ties. I even ripped a scrunchie trying to put my hair up once.

My hair is deadly to barrettes.

Jcv-Shelley
June 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Lol I'd break almost every single brush I could lay my hands on. Mostly it would be the ball tipped brushes losing their tips. Then the plastic would scrape my head very uncomfortably, to the point that I developed scabs, I also think it contributed to flakes. Thank goodness those days are over. And thank you LHC :p

ashke50
June 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I used to break my hairbrush, but due to carrying it round in my handbag, not my hair! I think in a battle between my hair and a brush, the brush would win.

thestookem
June 21st, 2011, 02:44 PM
I've snapped fine tooth combs in my hair on two occasions. It made me realize how thick my hair is. I just stick to using wide tooth combs now.

Animae
June 21st, 2011, 06:20 PM
I've broken combs, brushes, clips, pony tail holders, scrunchies, everything.

I used to break combs and brushes before I learned to detangle in the shower with conditioner.