PDA

View Full Version : 40 Vol Bleach, hairstylists advice...

sunnydays
June 15th, 2011, 02:54 AM
When would you use 40vol bleach? I am curious as I was going brown to blonde, I had 30vol used which took it to a dark blonde/brown colour. Then next time I went I had a diff stylist as my original one wasnt there, she used 40vol bleach, why it went white? I wanted a natural blonde and I took in plenty of photos, why did she use 40 vol? When would you normally use a 40 vol bleach?

Many thanks in advance....

longhairdntcare
June 15th, 2011, 03:12 AM
My hairdresser used 40 vol when I was a VERY light blonde, almost platinum at times.

sunnydays
June 15th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I have never been a platinum blonde so I am wondering why she used it? She said it was to clean it up to give a clean blonde colour, but I have never been a baby blonde or platinum blonde and I have always had a darer blonde going through as well as my own natural dark brown colour which always looked nice. I have no idea why you would use a 40vol bleach unless you wanted the platinum/white blonde look which I have never had.

sunnydays
June 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Does 40 vol only give white hair then?

kwaniesiam
June 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM
When would you use 40vol bleach? I am curious as I was going brown to blonde, I had 30vol used which took it to a dark blonde/brown colour. Then next time I went I had a diff stylist as my original one wasnt there, she used 40vol bleach, why it went white? I wanted a natural blonde and I took in plenty of photos, why did she use 40 vol? When would you normally use a 40 vol bleach?

Many thanks in advance....

I would never ever use 40 vol bleach on hair unless it was extremely resistant and we were trying to achieve several levels of lift. When you say bleach, do you mean a powder bleach or a regular high lift hair color? Those are two different things, 40 vol acts differently when mixed with a color than it does an actual bleach.

sunnydays
June 15th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I would never ever use 40 vol bleach on hair unless it was extremely resistant and we were trying to achieve several levels of lift. When you say bleach, do you mean a powder bleach or a regular high lift hair color? Those are two different things, 40 vol acts differently when mixed with a color than it does an actual bleach.

Regular powder bleach, I am surprised you say that as my hair was quite damaged and they used this 40vol on my hair!!! I am really angry reading that you have said this as they basically did completly the wrong thing then, she said she needed to do that to get a "clean" blonde. It was straight forward bleach, she said she didnt want to use a highlift even though i said i wanted her to use that as that as what my previous stylist at the same salon used, she said no that she didnt like them so used a different ash blonde colour, which was rubbish as it was really warm so i had higjlights of 40vol bleach next to an ashblonde, it looked so stipy and awful!!!! I am really angry as maybe if she had used a highlift like i had told her and a 30vol bleach as well i would have had nice highlights as apposed to stripy grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I am really angry as she knew how upset I was, why didnt she just do what she was supposed to do!!!

kwaniesiam
June 15th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Regular powder bleach, I am surprised you say that as my hair was quite damaged and they used this 40vol on my hair!!! I am really angry reading that you have said this as they basically did completly the wrong thing then, she said she needed to do that to get a "clean" blonde. It was straight forward bleach, she said she didnt want to use a highlift even though i said i wanted her to use that as that as what my previous stylist at the same salon used, she said no that she didnt like them so used a different ash blonde colour, which was rubbish as it was really warm so i had higjlights of 40vol bleach next to an ashblonde, it looked so stipy and awful!!!! I am really angry as maybe if she had used a highlift like i had told her and a 30vol bleach as well i would have had nice highlights as apposed to stripy grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I am really angry as she knew how upset I was, why didnt she just do what she was supposed to do!!!

Unfortunately many stylists are not trained well enough when it comes to advanced color :( Color is my thing, I'm a total nerd when it comes to formulations. That kind of thing isn't taught at beauty school, usually you learn that sort of thing from field experience or the salon you're working at will train you further.

It sounds like what should have been done was using a much gentler bleach or a high lift color and a toner. The toner would neutralize the brassy shades and give you the true blonde without compromising your hair's health. A "clean" blonde is BS, all that means is they wanted to skip the toning step that is nearly always required to neutralize the brassiness that is usually unavoidable with bleach. I would definitely not go back there again.

If your hair is feeling really damaged, try picking up Aphogee two step protein treatment from Sally's. That stuff saved my hair when I was bleaching WHITE. Not just blonde, but snow white. It really works, especially in combination with a moisturizing treatment after.

UltraBella
June 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I second what kwaniesiam has said. I am a huge fan of 20 vol or 30 vol and a nice toner. In fact, I LOVE TONER ! If you want your color to look natural, toning it is the way to go. My highlights are done with 20 vol and a lovely toner.
I cringe at the thought of putting 40 vol on someone's head and I avoid it at all costs. Was your scalp okay ?

Freki
June 15th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I use 40vol developer when bleaching my bangs. My hair is extremely dark and bleach resistant, so I need the 40vol to get my hair light enough to put jewel bright colors in.

It's pretty harsh stuff, I wouldn't use it on the length of my hair.

jaquelines
June 16th, 2011, 06:47 AM
i would never use 40% bleach. i have some friends with ash blond hair, some of them almost white-blond, they were all dark before and noone used 40%. it will definitely destroy your hair. i am not an expert, but from experience, i would never ever use more than 12%.you should try it slow. use 12%, let hair regenerate, nourish, condition, and than re-apply. until you reach your desired color. the result will be the same, if not better, and your hair will not be as damaged.

UltraBella
June 16th, 2011, 07:36 AM
i would never use 40% bleach. i have some friends with ash blond hair, some of them almost white-blond, they were all dark before and noone used 40%. it will definitely destroy your hair. i am not an expert, but from experience, i would never ever use more than 12%.you should try it slow. use 12%, let hair regenerate, nourish, condition, and than re-apply. until you reach your desired color. the result will be the same, if not better, and your hair will not be as damaged.

I am sorry, but the 12% you are referring to is a cream developer. Peroxide Cream. Available in four different volumes: 10V (3%) 20V (6%) 30V (9%) 40V (12%) This can lift hair up to four shades in one go and it can certainly FRY your hair just like bleach. I know you mean well, but this could be dangerous advice. You should NEVER use these strengths on your own. Developers above 30 Volume strength work very quickly, and without careful monitoring, these formulas can destroy the integrity of your hair.

Ashenputtel
June 16th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I'm not a hair stylist but when I wanted to take my light-medium dyed brown hair to a medium blonde she took a 10 vol bleach and used a pastel after.

My hair really bleaches easily though.

sunnydays
June 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Unfortunately many stylists are not trained well enough when it comes to advanced color :( Color is my thing, I'm a total nerd when it comes to formulations. That kind of thing isn't taught at beauty school, usually you learn that sort of thing from field experience or the salon you're working at will train you further.

It sounds like what should have been done was using a much gentler bleach or a high lift color and a toner. The toner would neutralize the brassy shades and give you the true blonde without compromising your hair's health. A "clean" blonde is BS, all that means is they wanted to skip the toning step that is nearly always required to neutralize the brassiness that is usually unavoidable with bleach. I would definitely not go back there again.

If your hair is feeling really damaged, try picking up Aphogee two step protein treatment from Sally's. That stuff saved my hair when I was bleaching WHITE. Not just blonde, but snow white. It really works, especially in combination with a moisturizing treatment after.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR I am furious, I had been going to them for many years aswell, I always had highlighst done there for about 6years!!! until my normal stylist went away for a while. I am so angry, they never used to use a toner on my hair either BUT my roots never went brassy and I used to go like every 12-16 weeks so there would be a good lot of root, I liked having roots aswell as it blended nicely. I am not sure the percentage my old stylist used but when she was lifting the dark she used only 30vol so makes no sense what so ever to use a 40vol the second time around as it was getting quite light anyway. I am NEVER going back to them again, I found another stylist who is really great, who took my hair dark using a semi as she said it would be good to leave my hair alone for a whole maybe a year to let it rest and then have some highlights. I am so angry at that old place. It really annoys me, some stylists as to women there hair is everything, well to some anyway and to mess it up and let me tell you she does not charge cheap prices!!!

sunnydays
June 16th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I second what kwaniesiam has said. I am a huge fan of 20 vol or 30 vol and a nice toner. In fact, I LOVE TONER ! If you want your color to look natural, toning it is the way to go. My highlights are done with 20 vol and a lovely toner.
I cringe at the thought of putting 40 vol on someone's head and I avoid it at all costs. Was your scalp okay ?

My scalp was fine, there was no burning or anything, my scalp was flaky after but I have suffered with that for years now, she put it a good cm to 1.5cm away from my scalp, I read after she did it that it can cause chemical burns that sort of percentage!!! Why she used it I have no Idea and the strands yes were snow white as kwaniesiam said before, not the look i was going for.

sunnydays
June 16th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I must say my hair must be super strong to have been damaged and still withstood 40vol being taken through to the lengths of my hair, also I said to her, look when its curly it looks dry and awful, but looks fine when is straight as straightners hide a multitude of sins, so her advice was.....Just keep straightening your hair, what stupid advice to give!!!!

kwaniesiam
June 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I am sorry, but the 12% you are referring to is a cream developer. Peroxide Cream. Available in four different volumes: 10V (3%) 20V (6%) 30V (9%) 40V (12%) This can lift hair up to four shades in one go and it can certainly FRY your hair just like bleach. I know you mean well, but this could be dangerous advice. You should NEVER use these strengths on your own. Developers above 30 Volume strength work very quickly, and without careful monitoring, these formulas can destroy the integrity of your hair.

Agreed. 12% is exactly the same as 40 vol developer, it is just called different things in different countries. Please don't advise the use of hazardous chemicals without proper training.

jaquelines
June 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Agreed. 12% is exactly the same as 40 vol developer, it is just called different things in different countries. Please don't advise the use of hazardous chemicals without proper training.
i am sorry, as i have said, i am not an expert, i wasn´t aware of the difference, but i think i made my point by saying i wouldn´t adive to use high concentration in order to bleach the hair, or making it lighter. i adviced in using rather a lower volume.