PDA

View Full Version : Why does my hair do this?

Knittycat
June 14th, 2011, 11:29 PM
The hair on one side of my head behaves very differently than the hair on the other side.
Here's a picture of the tails of my braided pig tails. This is indicative of what the whole length does.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7978&pictureid=105319

One side corkscrews, which I like, and the other side has just enough body to be annoying.

Can I make it stop??

Mesmerise
June 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Your hair sounds very similar to mine! Maybe it's a 2a thing... random hair that's curlier in some places and straighter in others!! Mine drives me NUTS.

Knittycat
June 14th, 2011, 11:35 PM
It drives me absolutely batty! I look down and the hair on my right is making lovely ringlets, the hair on my left is, well, the hair on my left. Uhg.

Mesmerise
June 14th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Mine is so random that on the same side it does different things. I will get one lock that will form a ringlet curl, and another lock that has the slightest wave :rolleyes:.

When I get frustrated I just rant at my hair and tell it to "MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!" Be straight! Be wavy! Be curly! But don't be ALL THREE AT ONCE!

|Xei
June 14th, 2011, 11:57 PM
The sides of my hair behaves differently. One side flips in while the other flips out. I think it might be a growth pattern thing.

KittyLost
June 15th, 2011, 12:05 AM
The sides of my hair behaves differently. One side flips in while the other flips out. I think it might be a growth pattern thing.

Mine is so random that on the same side it does different things. I will get one lock that will form a ringlet curl, and another lock that has the slightest wave .

This happens to me too.

pink.sara
June 15th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Mine does the flip in, flip out thing too. I think it's mostly because I sleep more on my left side? Like if I spend a 3rd of the day resting my head to the left it forces the growth to flip outwards.
That was always my explanation for my asymmetric noggin anyway :shrug:

pixiestar
June 15th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Mine does the same, must be a 2a thing:)

Slinks
June 15th, 2011, 02:50 AM
hmmm, yeah, mine flips out and curls on one side and is dead straight on the other .. but I also have more hair on one side than the other too, so if I put it up in two plain plaits on either side of my head, equally parted, my left side has way more hair and that's the side that flips out .. gave me the BEST Farrah do in the 70's, lol :-)

Fufu
June 15th, 2011, 03:06 AM
My hair is naturally straight, however whenever i do non-heat curls method on my hair. The right side of my hair usually curls better and last better.. the left side of my hair is seriously........stubborn.

jojo
June 15th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Mine does this, i consider myself to have combination hair which ranges from 1a to 3a throughout my hair. I am more in the 2's range though. Pretty normal though like my strands are mainly baby fine but I have some medium and pubic hair like hairs too!

pepperminttea
June 15th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Mine is so random that on the same side it does different things. I will get one lock that will form a ringlet curl, and another lock that has the slightest wave :rolleyes:.

Mine does exactly the same thing - in some places it's only barely wavy, other places it's like very loose pulled-out ringlets, and it's frizzy all over. Isn't it fun being 2A? :p

Audrey Horne
June 15th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Mine is the same. Moreover, it grew a bit longer on my right side than on my left side. Don't ask me why. I have to fix it next year lol

shakba
June 15th, 2011, 04:37 AM
hi :) i cant see your pic yet, but i was just thinking about this today!! my hair is much nicer on the left side then the right.. the left side is less frizzy etc. its weird.

Friesiangirl
June 15th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Mine definitely does this and it drives me wild some days. =D

Hayley

Keepitgrowing29
June 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Honestly, it may just be in your genes. My hair is the same way, I believe as a result of my dads hair being curly and my moms wavy. :)

Anje
June 15th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Mine does that sort of thing too. Meanwhile, all the halo hair tries to spiral -- why won't it all just do that?

spidermom
June 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Me too; crazy mixed up hair.

BrightEyes7
June 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
My hair does this too. And like Jojo my hair can range anywhere from 1a to 2c/3a... But I'd consider myself a 2a most days! :p

Also I think it has to do with what side you sleep on more. I noticed my hair is more 'even' when I sleep with a top knot and a silk bonnet.

SpinDance
June 15th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Same! All the halos are circles or spirals, the rest is random, some curls, some waves, some nearly straight, some long, loose spirals. Crazy hair!

erialc
June 15th, 2011, 11:05 AM
My hair does the exact same too. It's so annoying and looks ridiculous.

Knittycat
June 21st, 2011, 09:38 AM
I just got back from El Paso. I'd forgotten how straight my hair is in a desert! I'm darn near a 1b in low humidity. The weird hair thing may be annoying, but I prefer it to no curl at all!

QueenJoey
June 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
I feel you pain. One side of my hair is very wavy and pretty, the other side is straight except for this weird flip at the bottom. My family notices, too! I just put it up in a bun while it's slightly damp, like after a shower, and when I take it down it has these very pretty waves all over.

Avital88
June 21st, 2011, 09:44 AM
hahaha i think its just normal for hair to be, just hair..i have ringlets and 1c all together, it just depends on the day and the weather and the condition

RitaCeleste
June 21st, 2011, 09:55 AM
With me it isn't a division of which side is behaving, its a difference of top and bottom layers. My top layers are finer and thinner and straighter, and my bottom layers are thick and wavey. When I grew it out natural, I was finger combing it and scrunching the top layers into the bottom ones hoping the curl would be contagious. Now I go ahead and brush it all and live with poof. My top layers and sides really poof well. No one aims for poof though. I had my hair straightened once with a flat iron, it was so thin, I was convinced I was going bald for a couple of weeks! My sides are always a bit uneven as to how they behave though, that's why I wear to to one side. I am hoping to make people think it is supposed to look different on each side.

InTheCity
June 26th, 2011, 05:40 PM
This is pretty comical. I'm glad I'm not the only one. One side of my hair spirals, the middle back tends to be straight and the other side wavy. I remember when I joined this site thinking is it possible to be a 2a/3a? :p

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
I don't know why hair does that I'm just glad to know I'm not alone. My hair does it too.