PDA

View Full Version : clip in hair extensions and fake pony tails...

Brenda714
June 14th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I feel like this goes against what we at LHC stand for, but I've succumbed to wearing these because my hair is in such bad shape (shoulder length). It has so many layers, it just doesn't look cute without the clip ins or pony's. I am taking care of my hair now, thanks to LHC and all of you wonderful ladies out there. I'm trying to restore moisture by using a deep, overnight conditioner of olive oil, honey and cone free conditioner. Then I put in oils (argon) to seal the moisture in. Putting it in a pony and then clipping on the ponytail really helps with the abuse of trying to fix my own hair. My dilemma, is that I'm so used to using the hair pieces that my own hair looks even worse. I can hardly wait to get some length so I don't have to wear these anymore. What are your thoughts about these? Thanks!

Venefica
June 14th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I have fallen in love with those fake dread side ponytails that have become so popular among many Goths. I want a pair. I would just make my hair into two buns and put the dreads over them. http://quinnster.fqdn.net/dreads/index.html

I think the most important thing is having fun with ones hair, if that means extensions or even wigs who cares. Now everyone manage to grow the hair they want naturally, or they like with the dreads want to try something radically different and not risk damaging their hair. If you think you look better with hair pieces then I see no problem in wearing them. However I do not think your hair is as bad as you think we always judge ourselves harsher than we need to.

cato
June 14th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I think You should not worry about the extensions too much. :)
I have been wearing different extensions for the past couple of years (both- clips and also the fusion ones, which can be only applied and removed by a hair stylist) and did not experience any bad effects to my hair. Some hair stylists even claim, that extensions (for example the fusion ones which are applied with keratin) will pace up the hair growth and make Your hair stronger by training the roots. But this only applies, when the extensions are put in properly.
They also might protect Your hair from the UV damage by the sun.
But most importantly- they give You confidence and motivation to grow Your hair longer, so You wouldn´t have to hassle with the extensions + the immediate results to help You go through the awkward phase- I know, I´m at the same length myself right now.:rolleyes:

IanB
June 14th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Fun maybe, but nothing like the real thing!

pink.sara
June 14th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Love them. I have everything from those dread falls to mega curly butt length and Jessica Simpson clip ins.
They save my boredom and mean I don't think about cutting or dying :)
Experimenting is fun!

Rocket22
June 14th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I love them too!! I have an entire album with my extension. Since I have been on here I have not worn them much at all but I did just put in two very small side pieces a few days ago and what a difference it makes in my overall hair appearance and I love it!!!! (my sides are soooo much shorter than the rest of my hair) I think if you are careful you can use them for the grow out phase with no problems.

princess03
June 14th, 2011, 02:59 PM
i used clip in pieces for a while until my hair grew back from a bad haircut. no damage i sO outgrew them big time so they are no good now. I wouldn't wear them daily I'd clip in like 3-4 pieces when I styled my hair down :)

kwaniesiam
June 14th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I have fallen in love with those fake dread side ponytails that have become so popular among many Goths. I want a pair. I would just make my hair into two buns and put the dreads over them. http://quinnster.fqdn.net/dreads/index.html

I think the most important thing is having fun with ones hair, if that means extensions or even wigs who cares. Now everyone manage to grow the hair they want naturally, or they like with the dreads want to try something radically different and not risk damaging their hair. If you think you look better with hair pieces then I see no problem in wearing them. However I do not think your hair is as bad as you think we always judge ourselves harsher than we need to.

Synth dreads are super easy to make! http://www.youtube.com/user/doctoredlocks

Tons of tutorials on how to make synth dreads, I had a set a long time ago I used to wear sometimes.

Arya
June 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Just try to clip em in different spots, and use gentle clips so you're not tearing out your own hair or causing too much mechanical damage. I only dislike extensions when they're ratty or look super fake (the wrong shade, super super shiny like tinsel) or they're not blended. If you have shoulder length hair, and then suddenly one tailbone length layer at the bottom). But it's your head, you can do what you want with it! I finally found some extensions in my colour, and I have them pre-braided into 3,4,5 strand braid headbands so I can pin em in in the morning. It's also a great idea to use extensions for volume instead of backcombing your own hair. Instead of backcoming your hair, backcomb the extensions! I'm currently experimenting with putting my own hair in a nice cinnabun, and then wrapping a backcombed extension around it for that teased japanese bun look without the damage. Extensions allow you to backcomb, heat style, add a fringe, and add wild streaks/dreads whatever without sacrificing your real hair's health.