PDA

View Full Version : preparing for s and d

newbeginning
June 14th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Is there anything I should do before doing a search and destroy of the splits? Should I not oil (to see the splits easier)? Should I wash my hair right before and let it dry? Also how do people clean up all the cut hair after? TIA.

pepperminttea
June 14th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I find S&D's easier when my hair's just been washed, when it's air-drying - the splits seem 'plumped' up by the water. :)

Mesmerise
June 14th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Well I like to do it outside on a sunny day, because it's easier to find splits! You should also do it with clean hair, as oiling will glue the splits together and they'll be harder to find. Because I generally do it outside, there's no real mess either!

KatiSasha
June 14th, 2011, 07:32 AM
My light in my bathroom is overhead so I just lean over my sink and cut the hair into it and then rinse. If that's not an option, go outside, or lay a big towel down and cut hair over it, then just throw it in the washer :)

haibane
June 14th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Back when I did a lot of intense S&D I would put a towel underneath to catch the clippings. Easy to just shake it out outside when you're done.

edit: lol, you posted while I was typing KatiSasha.

Carolyn
June 14th, 2011, 01:47 PM
If I have oil or leave in on my ends they stick together and it's harder to find splits. Freshly washed and dried it optimal for me. I usually do it in front of my computer screen. I can see them easily that way. I don't worry about where the hair goes. It drops on to the t shirt or whatever top I am wearing. When I am done I stand up and shake it off. It disappears. No biggie :shrug: