PDA

View Full Version : Advice about length and cut needed.

Mrspuddinhead
June 13th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Ok, well my hair is currently 22 1/2" long which on me is BSL. I'm very short measuring in at 5"3. I've noticed my ends are rather thin( pictures below) Which leads me to my question. Do you think I should cut the ends and if so how much?? I also have layers which are shoulder length and bangs which I am in the process of growing out. Which leads me to my 2nd question..... should I cut my hair shoulder length so the growing out process would be even or should I just wait it out?? My roots are rather dark because I've decided no more dyes or bleach. I want virgin hair again.Thank you all for any advice offered.

Mrspuddinhead
June 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/1z7qdt.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ros3z8.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/n6dd2d.jpg

The last one was taken on 5-29-2011

tinywife
June 13th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Hmm...this is a tough one. On the one hand, there's nothing like a fresh start. It's even good for your hair. On the other hand, you don't want to cut it so short that you hate it (like I did!)
I would probably say go for shoulder-length, IF you know you will feel comfortable with it at that length. If it'll make you cry every day, then don't worry about it.

Roscata
June 13th, 2011, 08:28 PM
If I were you I'd cut one or two inches of the ends to thicken up the hemline.

I wouldn't cut my hair shoulder length, I say this because my hair is in the same situation I have layers that go up to my shoulders and I just can't give up the length, so my advice is to just wait it out.

But it is all up to you and what you want to do with your hair, I can only tell you what I would do. Good luck deciding. :D

spidermom
June 13th, 2011, 08:28 PM
It's in somewhat of a U-shape already, so what I would do is have the edges trimmed, keeping it in the U-shape. I don't think you need to lose more than about 1/2 inch, and it would have better flow and not be choppy at the ends.

turtlelover
June 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I would trim a couple of inches off of it this month, and then trim a few more next month if it doesn't seems like it was enough. There is no point in traumatizing yourself w/ a big chop if you aren't ready, though I DO think it would look good at shoulder length, and it would still be long enough to put up.

elbow chic
June 13th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I think shoulder will be way too drastic. Hey, think of it this way, maybe: your hairs will all cycle over in about seven years, give or take, so seven years from now the layers and dye will all be gone no matter what you do today.

In the meantime, I think cutting an inch off the ends will thicken them up appreciably and give the whole thing a more intentional look.

Brenda714
June 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Cut no more than one inch off, that should make a difference. Wait a month to see if it needs some more trimming. Your hair is fine, it's pretty, don't cut off all of it, everything will grow out. Do deep conditionioners to put back moisture and oils to maintain.

jojo
June 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Id keep the U shape and go for no more than an inch.

Flossy
June 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Id keep the U shape and go for no more than an inch.

I agree with this. It will feel sooo much thicker in the hemline with just a small trim. Then you can always cut off more if you need to.

Mrspuddinhead
June 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Thank you everybody for your advice. I think I will get any where from a 1/2 " to 1" cut. Preferably no more then that. That way my front layers and bangs have a chance to catch up. Even though shoulder length would look nice I think it would be a bit to much cut for me to handle. A clean hemline I think is just what I need. I just want my hair healthy and happy.

QueenJoey
June 13th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Oh, you're my height and just about my hair length (you're maybe 2-3 inches shorter). I know I'm totally cringe at the thought of losing any length to my hair. However, since my ends are also very thin, I say go with little tiny trims every month or so until the hemline thickens. When I say tiny trim, I mean 1/8-1/4 inch, so you’re still growing, and not losing much length.

However, it seems you're not to worried about losing length, like I am. If you want to just get rid of the layers, cut to shoulder, but only if you're patient in growing it back to BSL. (I'm very impatient, so that's not an option for me.)

Mrspuddinhead
June 13th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Hi there. I've actually been thinking about it and I would hate to have to cut back to shoulder. I would only consider that if my hair was extremely unhealthy, which I don't think it is. I was just thinking about it due to my annoying layers. Grrrrr... like you I have no patience. I think I will only benefit from a trim. I like the idea of a clean hemline and healthy ends. Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Mesmerise
June 14th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I think 1" is all you really need to take off. I'm in the same boat, although if anything my ends look much worse than yours, but the last thing I want to do is feel as if I'm going backwards and not gaining the length I want.

I've decided to grow for this year (with a trim every three months) and then next year maintain my length and give my straggly ends a good chance to thicken.

Arya
June 14th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Your hemline doesn't look that thin to me, it just looks layered. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Are the ends dry/split? I'd leave it alone if they're happy!

|Xei
June 14th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Try taking only one inch off (or even half an inch) to start with. You'd be surprised at how much a one-inch trim can do to bulk up your ends.

celebriangel
June 14th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I agree with everyone above. You can do it in stages: so trim one half-inch, take a photo, have a look, see how you feel. Repeat until satisfied.

Bear in mind, though, that for optimum hair health you want to keep it long enough that you can still put it up, so I would go no shorter than APL. However, I don't think you even really need that. If you wanted, you could even trim one half-inch now, rinse and repeat each month (or trim 1.5 inches every 3 months, since hair growth is not generally consistent) and in a short while your layers will be much more caught up. This way you need lose basically no length, but will instead maintain a good length while watching your hemline thicken up and your layers disappear.

I say this because I know how frustrating it can be to go shorter than BSL. This would also be a good time to decide what sort of hemline you would like. My personal preferences tend towards a slight U or straight across, but I would always advise doing a gentle version of a V or U-shape if you decide on one, and then you can make it more dramatic later if you choose.

Best of luck! I know layers are terribly frustrating, but I don't think your ends are thin and *need* a trim.

tinti
June 14th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Hey, the good thing about thin/tapering ends is that you can tuck them away in an updo easier than if you had blunt hemline, like me. My hair is long enough for a braided bun but they don't work because the hemline is so friggin' blunt :p 2 and a half months ago I had waistlenght hair that was extremely layered. I had this goal that in May I would trim and trim, but then I got so impatient with all the layers that I chopped to APL. I'm pretty happy but I miss the lenght sometimes and definetly a bit of the taper (who would've thought?) What I would do is cut of an inch every month or every 3 months untill you're satisfied.

Oh, and you should check out the rooibos thread for growth!

Vorvolaka
June 14th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I would (and am) wait it out. Maintain the length with small trims.

For me, this will take around a year until the layers catch up (the dye will take two or three years) but in the meantime, I can work on my hair health and get rid of my nasty ends.

Peggy E.
June 14th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Why not just a series of slight trims, rather than a whack all at once? This will help with the hemline (which looks infinitely better than mine, btw!) and also with the growing-out process.

Maybe 1/2 to 1" tops at a time? We in the northern hemisphere are in the growing time of the year, so it should be taking off! (Almost sounds like you should step back to be safe, doesn't it?!) ;o)

KatiSasha
June 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Whatever you do, please don't cut to shoulder! :) Your hair looks pretty thick and with your shortest layer being at shoulder length you'll get major triangle head! Been there, done that :( I vote for about an inch or so, going to APL at the most. If you wear your hair up - microtrims and just put it away every day while it grows, that way you can still retain the ability for the updos. Happy growing!!

silverstars
June 14th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I have ends like yours. I debated whether or not to chop to my shoulders. I decided not to and hide my ends in updos. Shoulder length is the most aggravating length to grow from, in my experience, and I would have been more tempted to get a shorter cut after. Maybe if you put your hair up a lot and forgot about it?

Mrspuddinhead
June 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM
@ arya. I don't have split ends though they are a bit dry. I'm doing what some other LHC members are doing. I wet my hair and add conditioner to the ends, then add shampoo to scalp and gently massage in, rinse, use conditioner again on ends and length, finish off with ASV which I rinse out. Just started so it's to early to tell rather this is going to help my ends or not. Time will tell.

Mrspuddinhead
June 14th, 2011, 09:43 AM
@ Celebriangel really good advice. I think I'm going to trim 1/2" first to see how my ends look. I'd rather cut to little then to much. If I'm not happy with the way it looks then I will take your advice and cut 1 1/2 "every three months and see how that looks. Once my hair is the same length I think I would like to go with a simple slight U shape. I like the idea of not losing length and maintaining a good length while my hemline thickens up and my layers and bangs grow. Thanks!! :)

Mrspuddinhead
June 14th, 2011, 09:51 AM
@ Tinti. Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to check out that thread as soon as I'm done here.

@ Peggy. Yeah, I really don't want a cut that is dramatic. Going from BSL to shoulder or APL would be to much and I'd miss the length. Plus my husband said no major cuts, only trims as needed. I'm in Cali and the weather is much different then what my hair is used to. I'm from the South. Back home my hair loves the humidity. No friz, smooth ends....

Arya
June 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM
@ arya. I don't have split ends though they are a bit dry. I'm doing what some other LHC members are doing. I wet my hair and add conditioner to the ends, then add shampoo to scalp and gently massage in, rinse, use conditioner again on ends and length, finish off with ASV which I rinse out. Just started so it's to early to tell rather this is going to help my ends or not. Time will tell.

Dryness is a problem that is solvable, if they're not splitting, I don't think they really need to be cut. I really just think it looks thin in that picture, the way the longest layer has shifted about. I'd suggest leaving it alone or trimming a very minimal amount (which seems to be your plan, so yay!). I dry my hair in a bun so that my ends get maximum time being damp (and oiled) and it seems to help. Have you tried olive oil , coconut oil, and SMTs yet? (I really like olive oil and coconut oil, have yet to find aloe vera gel to try the SMT yet).

MonaLisa
June 15th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I'd cut 1 inch then grow it through the summer and then see.
that is if you're detemined in getting rid of layers, which i wouldn't..
Your hair looks lovely :)

Kristamommyx3
June 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I agree with the pp's...cut off around 1 inch, but i also suggest coloring your hair the color of your roots, so that you won't suffer through two years of two colored hair. It's just my opinion, but I'd rather lose six months of virgin growth and feel like my hair is already "there" color wise, then to avoid looking at it for two years. After that, your virgin hair will grow in seemlessly, or at least much less noticeably. I think i personally would find that approach more enjoyable from a day to day perspective.
:p

Mrspuddinhead
June 15th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Mona Lisa thank you so much!!

Kristamomma I'm actually trying to stay away from dye and or coloring if possible. The two colors don't bother me as of yet, though I might change my mind. I really want to go natural for the sake of myself and my husband.

Madora
June 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Trim off 3 inches and then let it continue to grow.

It is a lot easier to track the true length of your hair if it is all one length. It is also a lot easier to do S and D on one length hair.

Good luck!

Mesmerise
June 15th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Trim off 3 inches and then let it continue to grow.

It is a lot easier to track the true length of your hair if it is all one length. It is also a lot easier to do S and D on one length hair.

Good luck!

While this is true, 3" is a LOT of length to lose at that length... it makes a much bigger difference I think in BSL or so hair, than it does in hair that's longer than hip!

I think she's best going with a 1/2" to 1" trim, and then maintaining until the layers are out, rather than straight away dealing with hair that looks depressingly short!

Sweetie
June 16th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I'd definetely cut a few incher, just to thinken the hemline - I wouldnt go for a chop, that would be a pity, since you hair seems very healty and soft!

bunzfan
June 16th, 2011, 03:22 AM
My hair looked the same as yours at that length. what i did is take 1 inch off to get rid of the dry ends and then just let it grow, i actually started a no trim challenge and its working i'm about 3 inches from waist now;)

Oh for dry ends i just tried a SMT and it worked great dry ends gone, especially since i haven't cut since last December. Oh another thing i find adding oils to your ends and just putting it up helps enormously.

Mrspuddinhead
June 17th, 2011, 12:15 PM
My hair looked the same as yours at that length. what i did is take 1 inch off to get rid of the dry ends and then just let it grow, i actually started a no trim challenge and its working i'm about 3 inches from waist now;)

Oh for dry ends i just tried a SMT and it worked great dry ends gone, especially since i haven't cut since last December. Oh another thing i find adding oils to your ends and just putting it up helps enormously.

What kind of oil would you recommend?? And where can I buy some?? As of right now I've not been using any because I didn't know I was supposed to oil my hair until I've joined LHC.

Mrspuddinhead
June 17th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Maybe I'm just nuts or something is wrong with my eye sight. I had my daughter take this picture for me and I've been looking at it and the ends don't seem as bad as they do in the other pictures. The only thing I've done differently is when I get in the shower I wet my hair then add conditioner to the ends. I leave the conditioner in while I add the shampoo. Massage in gently, rinse. Follow with a 2nd conditioner, which I use only on the ends, rinse. Follow with ASV, rinse. Maybe the extra conditioner is making the difference?? What do ya'll think.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2rz3myr.jpg

bunzfan
June 18th, 2011, 07:57 AM
What kind of oil would you recommend?? And where can I buy some?? As of right now I've not been using any because I didn't know I was supposed to oil my hair until I've joined LHC.

I started with Grape seed oil, then moved onto a heavier oil which was coconut oil which made my hair soft but left the ends icky. I have very recently found my hair loves EVOO in damp hair only about 1 drop though and it's great for my waves to.

MonaLisa
June 18th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Small trim can make it a lot better! and also cut should be the last option if you're wanting to grow long you know :)
There's plenty of things to try out here ( carefully) and find what works for you.
Small trim 1/2 inch wont hurt and can only help..
My opinion is don't cut more than that :)

Nev
June 18th, 2011, 12:15 PM
hey i know i'm still a newbie here and i might not be as qualified to give advice, but what about some darker lowlights just on the already colored part of your hair?
thats what i did last year when i was growing out my hair, it really blended my roots and the second hair color, my hair ended up looking beachy and it actually looked pretty natural!

Mrspuddinhead
June 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM
hey i know i'm still a newbie here and i might not be as qualified to give advice, but what about some darker lowlights just on the already colored part of your hair?
thats what i did last year when i was growing out my hair, it really blended my roots and the second hair color, my hair ended up looking beachy and it actually looked pretty natural!

Very good suggestion!!I might just give that a try. I still consider my self a newbie too so any and all advice rather from another newbie or an oldie is greatly appreciated.

ArienEllariel
June 18th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Kinda looks like my hair right now at BSL. Um, personally I'm not cutting cause it isn't bothing me much (plus I'd like to go for the fairytail look eventually) but if it bothers you, try a little microtrim and see if you like it better.