PDA

View Full Version : I don't think I want very long hair anymore

PiroskaCicu
June 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone at TLHC! :)

So, since I got my new layered hair cut, with the shortest layers around chin length/shoulder length (while still having long layers at BSL), I feel SO much better about my hair. I feel like I look much better with this short hair style. I don't think I will look good with my original goal of tailbone length, as much as I absolutely adore long hair.

So I think I might change my goal to waist. At waist length I can still keep relatively shorter layers, that I don't think I could have at tailbone length. (Or could I?)

Can I still get that "short" look, at least around the face? From what I've experienced before, even with face framing layers, I still didn't like how my face looked with long hair. :( The hair still dragged me down somehow... sadly.

Does anyone have any experience with having waist length hair or longer with layers that allow your hair to still look bouncy and have a softer, less weighed down look?

jujube
June 13th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Nobody's forcing you to have long hair if you don't want to. I'm glad you like your new cut, IMO it seems like the perfect in-between. Hair looks shorter in front, yet there are some long layers so it still looks long as well.

spidermom
June 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Hopefully you will have a nice long life and can change your mind and hair many times.

I wanted long hair every since grade school but never had the patience to grow it until my mid-40s. I had a lot of cute styles (and some hideous ones) before then.

PiroskaCicu
June 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM
The thing is, I WANT very long hair.....but I don't know if it suits me....this makes me very sad. I wanted even classic length hair, then switched to TBL, and now to waist.

I guess once I reach waist I can decide from there if I want to keep growing or not.

spidermom
June 13th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I think I know what you mean. I don't know if my long hair is doing my appearance any favors. I was in a picture last Friday. My hair was in a french braid so all my hair was slicked back along my scalp; it was awful. I might as well have been bald! But when I let my hair down and comb it out, I love it all over again. I don't know how to reconcile how I feel about my hair with how I look in pictures. Chance are, I'd find something else to hate if I had a different style, so I think I'll go with enjoying the feel of my hair and the way it looks in LHC pictures.

PiroskaCicu
June 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Your hair is so gorgeous spidermom, I have always admired it! :)

long&blonde
June 13th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Your hair is so gorgeous spidermom, I have always admired it! :)
I think your layered cut is gorgeous, so thick and healthy looking! A definite "Don't look at this photo too long and get any ideas!" Temptation!

PiroskaCicu
June 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I think your layered cut is gorgeous, so thick and healthy looking! A definite "Don't look at this photo too long and get any ideas!" Temptation!

Thank you so much! :)

Rocket22
June 13th, 2011, 08:08 PM
The thing is, I WANT very long hair.....but I don't know if it suits me....this makes me very sad. I wanted even classic length hair, then switched to TBL, and now to waist.

I guess once I reach waist I can decide from there if I want to keep growing or not.

This does not happen to often here at LHC, I went the complete opposite in 9 months from wanting waist to TB and now maybe even classic! :) I think you should do whatever your heart desires, and you will probably change it up many more times in your life. :)

Annibelle
June 13th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I didn't think I looked as good with long hair, but as it's gotten longer, I think it looks better. I thought it looked too long for my face shape around BSL, but now I'm at waist and think it looks better. I'm not sure if that's just because I like longer hair, or if I've gotten used to it, or what. I, too, looked good with short hair, and stylists always told me that I couldn't have long hair with my Slavic face shape. I say, tell that to all of the beautiful Slavic women! :flower: When you get to waist, you can decide if you want to go longer! Maybe you just need time to adjust to the new hair length. :)

McFearless
June 13th, 2011, 08:22 PM
How about growing your longest layers to waist or tailobone while maintaining short frace framing layers and/or bangs? Not all haircuts have to be the same. Keep having fun with your hair.

turtlelover
June 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I don't think you need to have EXTREMELY long hair for it to be very pretty. There is nothing wrong w/ maintaining a shorter but still fairly long look if you feel that it makes you look better. I honestly think people need to do what makes THEM feel happy, regardless of whether that means going longer OR shorter. You can still focus on taking the best possible care of your hair, learning new updos, etc. Longer does not always equal better!

elbow chic
June 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I say don't get too choppy till the summer is over. That's something I always feel in spring and/or summer, the sensation that the hair is just TOO MUCH ALREADY and I want something lighter. Only to regret it in September.

jojo
June 13th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Its all about how you feel. I always thought really long hair had to be one length but I hated how i looked with no fringe and so i cut one in and feel "me" again. I see no reason if layers and long hair is what you want not to have them.

Jules diamond
June 13th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I feel you. x.x I'm getting that same sort of urge myself. Think it has something to do with the season? The hot weather makes me feel all slicey.

lacefrost
June 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM
One name: UltraBella! Look at her album: she has hip+ hair and loves layers!

UltraBella
June 14th, 2011, 12:47 AM
One name: UltraBella! Look at her album: she has hip+ hair and loves layers!

Yes ! I am a layer fanatic !
However, to the OP, you can not have waist length hair and have layers as short as you do now. As your length moves down - so must your layers. You can still have face framing layers, those are different. But the layers you are loving now that give your hair shape and movement will be much longer on waist length hair. My shortest layer is still past my shoulders by several inches, in fact, it may be armpit length.
That is exactly what has been bothering me about my own hair. I miss my shorter layers. I want them back. I must cut to mid back to have the layers I really love. Right now I have bulky hair that I am not enjoying as much as I used to, so I will cut it. Many here will think I am nuts for doing it, but I want to.

Vespertine
June 14th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I love my long layered cut. I'm currently a little beyond bsl and going for waist. It makes putting my hair in an updo harder than it was all one length, but I think it's so much more flattering than when it was all one length. I just told my stylist that I wanted to keep my hair long, but wanted to create a more flattering shape. She specializes in long hair and knew exactly what to do.

It looks like you've been able to do the same. Your hair looks gorgeous!

Did you ever watch Legend of the Seeker? I loved Kahlan's long layers. You could really see them during the fighting scenes when she'd whip her hair around.

Altocumulus
June 14th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I grew out my hair to TB twice since I've been here, and I've come to realize that I like my hair best the way it was when I found LHC - midback, with long layers.

Venefica
June 14th, 2011, 06:31 AM
You have to decide for yourself what would look the best on your hair. If you like shorter layers then you should have shorter layers. It is not like we all have to have the same style and that loving long hair mean that you have to want to have all one layer and as long as it can possibly get. Some like to have their hair at waist length, I mean I myself considered stopping there, it was long enough to bun, long enough to braid, but still manageable enough to wear loose. I choose to go longer but not everyone have to make the same choice. Pick what looks best for your, your hair need please no one but yourself.

pepperminttea
June 14th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Do what makes you feel good about your hair. :) You've got plenty of time to experiment with styles, grow it out, cut it back, whatever takes your fancy. And at any length, you'll still have non-LHCers wondering how you get your hair so shiny and where you learnt so many pretty updos. :D

Ligeia_13
June 14th, 2011, 06:37 AM
How about growing your longest layers to waist or tailobone while maintaining short frace framing layers and/or bangs? Not all haircuts have to be the same. Keep having fun with your hair.

That's what I was going to suggest. :) And what I will probably be doing also.

Peggy E.
June 14th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Have you ever tried a long haired wig/extension to see what it looks like at the length you might be hoping to achieve? This might save you some angst time, should you decide you really don't like the look on you.

Your hair is gorgeous and is going to be so at any length. Life is too short to be sad about your hair, really - and I don't mean this as a criticism, simply trying to put things in perspective.

Of course, hair IS a major priority - it is very much tied into how we feel about ourselves, which then makes a difference in what we're able to achieve. It shouldn't be, but, there you are.

Why not love your hair the way it is right now? You said you like how it feels, how it frames your face, it looks great and is a great length on you - why not enjoy it here for a while and then, if you still feel like you would like to try the longer hair, let it grow out.

That's the beauty of hair, after all, it will continue to grow. Regardless the injury and insult we cast upon it, it carries on in spite of us! ;o)

It seems to me, having been here a while and read a lot of "layer misery" reports, the longer your grow your hair, the more you come to dislike the layers. This is something else you might want to bear in mind, as well, because growing them out on very long hair is, indeed, a miserable undertaking.

Bottom line - have fun with your hair, your look. Try different things and enjoy the challenge as you grow and change. Good luck with whatever you decide to try next!

Quahatundightu
June 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Perhaps you are being too critical of yourself! Have you asked opinions from any caring friends or relatives?

I always hated my bangs, it was such a bother to style them, but I thought I looked terrible without them. I was so self-critical! Then I finally let them grow out and got nothing but compliments from people, and now I even like my face without bangs :) So maybe you should do what you want and have long hair... other people might like it more than you think!

malumsam
June 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Someone somewhere on this site once mentioned something like this: When your hair is in the apl/bsl range it isn't as flattering as when you reach waist and beyond... then it takes on some kind of different aspect somehow...

So I support you in your idea to wait until waist and then make a judgement call. :thumbsup:

This possibility of coming out the other side with better looking hair will make me muddle through (as I will probably feel like you do when I reach your lenght - having similar issues and all).

But. Hair grows back - if you choose to cut, enjoy your hair!

x0h_bother
June 14th, 2011, 01:05 PM
However, to the OP, you can not have waist length hair and have layers as short as you do now. As your length moves down - so must your layers. You can still have face framing layers, those are different. But the layers you are loving now that give your hair shape and movement will be much longer on waist length hair. My shortest layer is still past my shoulders by several inches, in fact, it may be armpit length.
That is exactly what has been bothering me about my own hair. I miss my shorter layers. I want them back. I must cut to mid back to have the layers I really love. Right now I have bulky hair that I am not enjoying as much as I used to, so I will cut it. Many here will think I am nuts for doing it, but I want to.

I agree, as hair gets longer the layers needs change.
For me, layers made more sense shorter, but from BSL to Waist I became very fed up with my layers and found I needed to go all one length. I say grow it and then decide what you want to do with it. :)

Nev
June 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I love my long layered cut. I'm currently a little beyond bsl and going for waist. It makes putting my hair in an updo harder than it was all one length, but I think it's so much more flattering than when it was all one length. I just told my stylist that I wanted to keep my hair long, but wanted to create a more flattering shape. She specializes in long hair and knew exactly what to do.

It looks like you've been able to do the same. Your hair looks gorgeous!

Did you ever watch Legend of the Seeker? I loved Kahlan's long layers. You could really see them during the fighting scenes when she'd whip her hair around.

I'm glad there's more people here keeping their layers :)
Kahlan's hair is beautiful! that show's the main reason i decided to grow my hair longer, plus that show was just awesome to watch. :cool:

xoxophelia
June 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM

I would have to disagree with this. It is a different style but can definitely be done. I can try to dig up some pictures for you on my other computer but after I had about hip length hair most of my life I cut in layers with the longest ending at about waist. My shortest layer was about 4-5" long (in the back). The top looked similar to this: http://www.hairstylehaircut.net/images/hairstyle-haircut-184.jpg

The longest part was still decently thick but definitely not anything like it is without the layers but that was the "look". It was fun while it lasted but really not the best for my hair texture I decided. As far as that individual haircut though it would also depend on how thick your hair is. Mine is slightly above 4.5" in circ.

For face framing layers you may want them thinner as your hair grows long but it is possible.

UltraBella
June 14th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I would have to disagree with this. It is a different style but can definitely be done. I can try to dig up some pictures for you on my other computer but after I had about hip length hair most of my life I cut in layers with the longest ending at about waist. My shortest layer was about 4-5" long (in the back). The top looked similar to this: http://www.hairstylehaircut.net/images/hairstyle-haircut-184.jpg

The longest part was still decently thick but definitely not anything like it is without the layers but that was the "look". It was fun while it lasted but really not the best for my hair texture I decided. As far as that individual haircut though it would also depend on how thick your hair is. Mine is slightly above 4.5" in circ.

For face framing layers you may want them thinner as your hair grows long but it is possible.

I am sorry, but there is no way the OP could maintain her shortest layers at chin length with waist length hair. She does not have the thickness. I am referring to whole-head long blended layers, which is what the OP and I both have.
The only way for the OP to have layers that short is to get what we refer to around here as the "Extreme Shag". Most everyone has seen this style, the bulk of the hair is short layers but the length is very long, but much thinner. It has a purposefully messy look in the front, much volume around the crown and much thinner lengths. Going by what the OP said previously, I don't think that's the look she is going for, although she is certainly cute enough to pull it off ;)

For face framing layers, they can go down your entire length easily, except when you reach some of the extreme lengths.

spidermom
June 14th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I've seen a few cuts around with shorter layers worked into very long lengths. It almost takes on the look of being two separate hairstyles, but it definitely can be (and is being) done. It does take thick hair to really pull it off well, I think.

princess03
June 14th, 2011, 03:16 PM
@Ultrabella

you just explained the haircut they gave me. I wanted long layers in my midback length and the man cut tons and left the short layers almost all one length around APL and the longest ones just stringy barely there. So I quit layers and have been growing them out.

Ive always loved layers and am only planning on growing my hair no longer than 2 inches above hip. What are the shortest layers for this length achievable if I have medium thick hair?

Once I get my hair all one length I want to cut in layers that are all evenly in thickness not this almost mullet I had gotten.

I wish I cold get a haircut with your stylist no one ever gets my layers right :(

gthlvrmx
June 14th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I say don't get too choppy till the summer is over. That's something I always feel in spring and/or summer, the sensation that the hair is just TOO MUCH ALREADY and I want something lighter. Only to regret it in September.
I agree with her, i saw my hair last week and i thought, wow it has really got long but it doesn't look like the old me. I was getting worried i'd look bad with it very long but after a week and my wash today, i fell in love again :D Maybe forgetting about it and then looking back at your hair later will help you decide. Hope you do whatever makes you the happiest :D:D

UltraBella
June 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM
@Ultrabella

you just explained the haircut they gave me. I wanted long layers in my midback length and the man cut tons and left the short layers almost all one length around APL and the longest ones just stringy barely there. So I quit layers and have been growing them out.

Ive always loved layers and am only planning on growing my hair no longer than 2 inches above hip. What are the shortest layers for this length achievable if I have medium thick hair?

Once I get my hair all one length I want to cut in layers that are all evenly in thickness not this almost mullet I had gotten.

I wish I cold get a haircut with your stylist no one ever gets my layers right :(

I completely understand !
The trick for getting good layers is to have a highly skilled stylist and ask for long blended layers. Ask them to "drop" your longest layer - to keep your longest layer thick - and to keep the hair right above your ears even with that longest layer. Many people with layers have much shorter hair in the front. The hair above my ears is hip length ! Makes a HUGE difference. Of course, my stylist works in my salon, so I always have a good experience :)

MandyBeth
June 14th, 2011, 06:53 PM
My hair is never going past hip. Not worth it to me, too hard to manage I think for me. But, other than my bangs, ugh, I can't do layers. OP looks great with them. Me, not so much.

PiroskaCicu
June 14th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Thank you everyone for the support! I really appreciate it. :) :flower:

I've decided that I'll just grow to waist, and probably maintain that for a while. If it looks good I might grow to hip perhaps. We'll see when the time comes! For now I'll enjoy my shorter layers :)

turtlelover
June 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Ultrabella,

Thanks for your explanation of what to ask for with long layers. I have been cutting my own hair, but it is getting too long to reach the back anymore, and I'm a little wary of self trimming the very bottom layer when I can't easily reach it, so at some point, I will have to be brave and venture into a salon. As my hair gets longer, my layers will have to change, and I want to be able to ask for the right thing! I'm phobic about going to stylists after some REALLY bad experiences in the past!

princess03
June 17th, 2011, 12:59 AM
The trick for getting good layers is to have a highly skilled stylist and ask for long blended layers. Ask them to "drop" your longest layer - to keep your longest layer thick - and to keep the hair right above your ears even with that longest layer. Many people with layers have much shorter hair in the front. The hair above my ears is hip length ! Makes a HUGE difference. Of course, my stylist works in my salon, so I always have a good experience :)

thanks UltraBella! I will remember this next time I decide to give it a chance :) Lucky you to have your very own stylist from your salon! my bf owns a barbershop and well no stylist there :(

btw I cut an inch after seeing how great your cut went and how happy you were wit your results... I was also being a chicken but just for one inch lol

Gypsygirl
June 17th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Hi sweetie, my hair is waist length and layered and I have bangs as well, and I've been maintaining this style for quite a while because I love the femininity and playfulness of it. :)

InTheCity
June 21st, 2011, 06:42 PM
I love my long layered cut... I just told my stylist that I wanted to keep my hair long, but wanted to create a more flattering shape. She specializes in long hair and knew exactly what to do.

I'm torturing myself here reading all these threads. Why, oh why, didn't I read this before going get a haircut? Why did I not spell out ask him to SHOW me what he wanted to do first? I might just cry all over again. I went from BSL all one length to layers at chin and barely-shoulder in 5 minutes flat :(

x0h_bother
June 21st, 2011, 06:51 PM
I'm torturing myself here reading all these threads. Why, oh why, didn't I read this before going get a haircut? Why did I not spell out ask him to SHOW me what he wanted to do first? I might just cry all over again. I went from BSL all one length to layers at chin and barely-shoulder in 5 minutes flat :(
I hope you can come complain with us in the layers thread :D. We know what you're going through!

agoddess2die4
June 21st, 2011, 08:02 PM

Yes, good layers are so hard to find. I have fine hair, average thickness so I don't need a ton of layers, yet they always over-cut my hair so my layers always looked kind of stringy (especially when straightened, which I like to do occasionally). I'm actually somewhat happy with my layers now that I've learned to cut my own, but the method I learned on here does still create shorter layers in front because it's the ponytail on top of head and cut the ends of it method. That works well for me because I like a general V- or U-cut hemline and the front of my hair is somewhat curly and fine and easily breaks, so shorter front layers work for me, but not for everyone.