PDA

View Full Version : Oil on top of cones

CastaDiva
June 13th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I wash my hair three times a week and I usually do a heavy oiling with olive oil before every wash. I also use a coney serum two or three times a week. I know that some oils, including olive oil, have the ability to penetrate the hair. My question is; Will the oil still penetrate the hair if it is applied over a coney serum? I have read somewhere that cones lock out moisture, and I don`t want to waste a lot of oil if it doesn`t benefit my hair.

celebriangel
June 13th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I can't say for certain, but it is my understanding that cones are formulated to do exactly the same thing that oils do: lock moisture in (and, therefore, also out) of the hair, and smooth down the hair shaft. This is why people have more success with damp oiling sometimes, particularly if they have dry ends (dry oiling on dry ends will not lock in moisture).

For me, oil treatments started actually working once I went conefree. Personally, if I were going to use a coney serum - e.g. for smoothing - I would put on oil first. However, apparently broccoli seed oil mimics the smoothing, shine-enhancing effects of cones.

To actually penetrate hair, pretty much all treatments rely on the hair being clean and residue-free. Which is why you henna, do an SMT and use veggie dyes on clean, damp hair. So I think if you were trying to do a DT with your oil, it would be best not to put on a coney serum first.

YMMV, of course. I know some people manage to use cones and oils in conjunction but, for me, it didn't work.

CastaDiva
June 14th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Thanks for your very informative reply, celebriangel:) I`ll try oiling on damp hair free of any coney serum. Hopefully I will get great results:)

celebriangel
June 14th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Happy to help :)

Do experiment with different oils, and with fine, medium thickness hair you will need to use only a tiny amount. You might have to shop around a bit till you find one you like. I know some finehairs have success with light, "sealing in moisture" sort of oils for everyday use such as camellia and sweet almond oil (I like triple moon oil, which is nice and light and smells divine) and save the heavier, penetrating oils such as coconut and EVOO for deep treatments. YMMV on this, though, since I myself can get away with heavier oils because I have some M hairs and because my hair is curly and voluminous.

Kaelee
June 14th, 2011, 03:03 AM
IDK about serum (I suspect it's different as it stays on your hair) but I use coney shampoo and deep conditioner and I use coconut oil on my damp ends- it works perfectly!

kidari
June 14th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I've always wondered about putting oil on damp or completely dry hair. I've been oiling hair that is completely dry thinking that water repels oil or something. Good to know that it can actually seal in moisture!

BroadwayBeauty
June 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Where do you guys get your oils from? Beauty stores or health food stores? When I stopped in my local beauty store they only had a small selection of oils and only in small containers... :/

Hiriel
June 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Where do you guys get your oils from? Beauty stores or health food stores? When I stopped in my local beauty store they only had a small selection of oils and only in small containers... :/

I buy coconut oil from an Indian grocery store, and olive oil at the supermarket. Cheap haircare :)
I had to get jojoba oil at the pharmacy (had no idea they would have jojoba oil!), and it was quite expensive, but that bottle will probably last my whole life :p

Ribbon
June 14th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I buy olive oil at the grocery store. Nothing special. In fact, I use it for cooking too.

The argan oil I am almost out of I bought at Sephora (Josie Maran). It was something like $40 but it lasted for months. I don't go to the large mall much though, so I don't know when I can repurchase. They have an online site if I get desperate. My grocery sells the Moroccan oil line but it has a bunch of other ingredients so that's a no for me.

Kaelee
June 14th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Coconut from the grocery or whole foods store. A jar costs about $8 and lasts....well I cant remember when I bought it before. It lasts a LOOOOONG time.