PDA

View Full Version : The Mermaid Soak

Jcv-Shelley
June 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I was just curious as to what this is. I've read through and searched under this subject but couldn't find enough info. to do this myself. I'm sorry if this has been posted many times before. :o
Some of things I wanted to know is - what do you do to wash your hair if your just using a tub? Do you swish it around or let is sit there for a while? Also, do you add anything to the water? I've heard others say that it helps getting sticky residue off. Are you allowed to oil your before this?

TIA :heartbeat

spidermom
June 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM
A mermaid soak is letting your hair float in water. Generally speaking, water is not your hair's friend, especially hot water. It swells the shaft and raises the cuticle. Over time of raising the cuticle, sealing the cuticle, raising the cuticle ... the cuticle gets fatigued and begins to degrade. Of course wash your hair when it needs to be washed, but otherwise keep it dry as much as possible.

When I've had to wash my hair in a bathtub, I've used a pitcher or saucepan to pour the water over my head, sometimes while sitting in the bathtub, sometimes while leaning over it. I really prefer a shower for washing hair, though.

Venefica
June 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I wash my hair in the bathtub and is satisfied with that. However it is a point in not having to warm water when washing one's hair whatever one do it in the shower or in the bath tub.

Fiordiligi
June 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I have a shower at the end of my bathtub. I CWC so I run a bath, get in, dunk my hair under the water, apply conditioner to the length and shampoo to the scalp, lie back and rinse it all off in the clean water in the tub. Then I apply my second conditioner and put my hair up, because I'm not going to let it get in that water again. I then use my soap or shower gel, stand up, finish washing my body and end up with a long, long rinse from the shower. I'm not saying this is ideal, but it works well enough for me, because I like a bath but also need to know I've rinsed thoroughly.

I don't have any problems getting coconut or olive oil out with this method. The only I thing I might consider adding to the water is a couple of drops of essential oils, but I don't do this often.

When I do a henna gloss, first I rinse in the basin with extra conditioner, then I get into the tub and do the mermaid soak, and then I use the shower too.

Jcv-Shelley
June 14th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I never knew it was this simple! Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. :p

Carolyn
June 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
When I do a mermaid soak, I slide down in the tub so I am laying on my back and my knees are bent. The back of my head is in the water and my hair is floating. Sometimes I do it to rinse out conditioner or sometimes I do it because it's fun. I do my soaking before using body wash or shave gel.

PianoPlaye
June 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Thank you for explaining & I may have to have a bath occasionally, just for the fun of it. Given whom I share said bathtub with, I think that means I'll have to decontaminate it first.
Can I do a mermaid comb - sitting on a stool & combing carefully, with a hand mirror in occasional play - instead?!

Qamar
June 14th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I wish I had a tub! Living in an RV, our tub is ankle deep andf so small that if I sa t in it, I would need a shoehorn to get out! No mermaid soaks are possible.

GRU
June 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM
When I go a mermaid soak, I slide down in the tub so I am laying on my back and my knees are bent. The back of my head is in the water and my hair is floating.

This is what I do to rinse out henna/cassia --- SO much more effective than trying to wash it out with a shower! (my hair doesn't float, though... sink city for me!)

Eva_M
June 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I didn't know that this had a name! :laugh: I don't have a bath so often, I prefer the shower, but everytime I have a bath I love to do it just because it feels so nice! :D And after and/or before it, I shampoo and condition; then I have a final shower rinse.

clairenewcastle
June 14th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I tried a mermaid soak once in clean warm bath water for about twenty minutes and OMG never again......we've hard water and it dried my hair out badly.

Mesmerise
June 14th, 2011, 05:15 PM
The only time I do it is for rinsing out henna. That's it! I mean, it's nice to have a bath otherwise, but there's not a lot of point to doing a mermaid soak (IMHO) unless there's something that's hard to rinse from your hair. Getting henna out this way is so much easier than just doing it under the shower!

Carolyn
June 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM
The only time I do it is for rinsing out henna. That's it! I mean, it's nice to have a bath otherwise, but there's not a lot of point to doing a mermaid soak (IMHO) unless there's something that's hard to rinse from your hair. Getting henna out this way is so much easier than just doing it under the shower!Rinsing something out is the main reason I think people do it. But I've found it's just plain fun. I know I can be too serious about my hair sometimes. It feels good to let go and do something silly and fun once in a while. I feel like I'm a little girl playing mermaid in the bathtub. Believe me, that wasn't something that was allowed often when I was a kid. I would have gotten punished for getting my hair wet when it wasn't hair washing time. So now it feels good to play like a kid just for the fun of it. Just because I can and just because I want to :)

Fairlight63
June 14th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I guess that is what I do, but I did not know that it had a name for it. In the winter time I hate to take a shower, it is so cold in there! So when I need to wash my hair I bend over the tub & let the water from the faucet run over my hair all over. To keep my hair from going down the drain (UCK) I put a pail under the faucet & over the drain & my hair goes in there. It does make my hair dryer & we have hard water also, so sounds very bad for the hair.
I think that I am going to have to toughen up & wash my hair in the shower in the winter, sounds like it is much better for the hair. Last time I washed my hair in the shower because it is warm out now & my hair felt much better, not all tangly from washing it up side down & dry.

Carolyn
June 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'm not quite understanding something here. If your water is all the same, be it hard or soft, what could the difference be in taking a shower and washing your hair, and taking a bath and dunking your hair in the filled tub? I don't get it. Your water is your water whether it comes out of the shower head or the tub faucet thingie. You are completely soaking your hair whether you shower or wash in some manner in the tub. Is it that your hair is immersed in the water in the tub and the shower water is just running over your head? I'm not talking about rinsing out henna issues as I've never hennaed. Can someone 'splain it to me? Am I being really blonde here?

Shimmy
June 14th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I'm not quite understanding something here. If your water is all the same, be it hard or soft, what could the difference be in taking a shower and washing your hair, and taking a bath and dunking your hair in the filled tub? I don't get it. Your water is your water whether it comes out of the shower head or the tub faucet thingie. You are completely soaking your hair whether you shower or wash in some manner in the tub. Is it that your hair is immersed in the water in the tub and the shower water is just running over your head? I'm not talking about rinsing out henna issues as I've never hennaed. Can someone 'splain it to me? Am I being really blonde here?

I don't understand it either.:confused:

GRU
June 14th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I'm not quite understanding something here. If your water is all the same, be it hard or soft, what could the difference be in taking a shower and washing your hair, and taking a bath and dunking your hair in the filled tub? I don't get it. Your water is your water whether it comes out of the shower head or the tub faucet thingie. You are completely soaking your hair whether you shower or wash in some manner in the tub. Is it that your hair is immersed in the water in the tub and the shower water is just running over your head? I'm not talking about rinsing out henna issues as I've never hennaed. Can someone 'splain it to me? Am I being really blonde here?I don't understand it either.:confused:

Same here, and I'm not blonde! ;)

I can understand hair being more tangly from being upside-down or from free-floating in a tub, and I could understand if you're soaking it in water that's not just clear water (like water you've already bathed in with soap) or if you leave some product in your hair unintentionally b/c of incomplete rinsing using the faucet, but the hardness of the water shouldn't matter whether it's a bath or a shower.... :confused:

GRU
June 14th, 2011, 07:38 PM
To keep my hair from going down the drain (UCK) I put a pail under the faucet & over the drain & my hair goes in there.

I just use one of those hair-trapper things over the drain to keep my hair from slipping down into the drain-pipe.... blech!

This is the brand that I have (http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Stopper-Drain-Protector-Strainer/dp/B003B02L2G), and I love it!

Dr. Girlfriend
June 14th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I love to do the mermaid soak in the bath, but it's mainly a just for fun thing. I generally wash my hair in the shower.

slz
June 14th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I always do mermaid rinses - more efficient, all in all it uses less water than spending ages trying to get stuff out of the hair under the shower.

Milui Elenath
June 14th, 2011, 09:07 PM
In the bath, lying down letting the hair float (sink ;) )

As others have said, I also did a mermaid soak when I used henna - it was the only way to get Henna out with water only and even when I did use conditioner I still often did one.

However, I used to love washing my hair in the bath occasionally. (I am Water only now so I just haven't tried it) It's easy to get to the scalp without rubbing hair and just feels like it rinses the hair better. I personally felt it was quite gentle to the hair.

Add me to the list of not understanding why it's any different than getting your hair wet in the shower. :confused:

kidari
June 14th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I read on here that someone did a coconut milk soak as a mermaid soak in their bathtub- it not only helped with their hair but also their skin. It seems like a fun treat to try on a really hot day to mix it with lukewarm or cool water.

GRU
June 14th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I read on here that someone did a coconut milk soak as a mermaid soak in their bathtub- it not only helped with their hair but also their skin. It seems like a fun treat to try on a really hot day to mix it with lukewarm or cool water.

Wow, that would be an EXPENSIVE bath! :blueeek:

How many cans of coconut milk would it take to fill a bathtub, anyway??? :confused: It does sound luxurious, though! :)

AnnaJamila
June 14th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I want a coconut milk bath!!! Cooooooooool!!! :)

kidari
June 14th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I don't know how to reply, so I'm just doing it here. I'm not sure how many cans but I wouldn't do one with pure coconut oil. I would just put 1 can or maybe 2 and fill the rest up with water and not fill the tub up too high lol.

timeschild
May 28th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Wouldn’t the henna dye the skin though? Or would it be to diluted? That would be my fear turning henna brown/red all over like a bad tan

Ylva
May 28th, 2019, 08:58 PM
Wouldn’t the henna dye the skin though? Or would it be to diluted? That would be my fear turning henna brown/red all over like a bad tan

I don't do henna myself, but I don't think you're supposed to sit in the bath or bathe in the henna water when or after rinsing it. You just wiggle your head about in the water while standing on dry land, then get rid of the water and clean the tub.

GRU
June 3rd, 2019, 08:48 PM

It's not going to dye your skin unless you lie in the green water for several hours.... you're going to be freezing cold before that happens!

ChloeDharma
June 4th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Ok an explanation of the mermaid soak.

Many years ago I had fallen in love with mixing honey into my DT's which I did every wash as I was growing out chemically fried hair. I came up with the idea of adding honey to my hair without wetting it first to see what it did. Unfortunately although this gave me amazing shine it left a crunchy hard residue that over multiple washes just wouldn't wash out of my hair, even a sulphate shampoo couldn't remove it and my ends stayed crunchy, hard and kind of glued together.

I was regularly taking baths after showering adding things like coconut milk, oils, EO's, ACV and honey to the water to give my body skin a nourishing treatment and so I had the idea that as water dissolves sugar then soaking my hair in the bath water might remove the build up. Obviously I didn't add the honey that time but it did the trick nicely and on top of that left my hair really nicely conditioned so I came up with the idea of making the "mermaid soak" part of my regular routine when I did the skin conditioning bath soaks in general.

The "mermaid" part was just me getting nostalgic and remembering being a child and imagining that I might turn into a mermaid if I spent long enough in the bath, soaking. Lol I even got my mum to buy sea salt for my baths thinking that might be the magic ingredient.

So yes, the mermaid soak was initially just an idea to dissolve honey build up but then something I thought might be a nice conditioning treatment for dry hair if you add certain nourishing ingredients to the bath water.

I have also used it to remove henna and it worked quite well, I also found it helped to counter the slightly drying effect of henna as I always would do a moisture treatment after rinsing off henna anyway. It doesn't stain the skin though as you don't let it dry on the skin and shower off afterwards if washing off henna.

Lions-mane
July 13th, 2019, 04:05 AM
I will have to tell my 4 year old about the title "Mermaid soak" she will love that, shes always loved swirling her hair around.