PDA

View Full Version : Damp around the edges even with a shower cap

HintOfMint
June 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Ugh, so one of my pet peeves is really getting to me. I washed my hair last night and put my hair in pin curls and covered it with a scarf. In the morning I wanted to take another shower so I put a plastic showercap over my hair. I pulled down the edges and it was really secure.

The edges of my hair STILL got wet, and a few curls behind my ears and at the nape of my neck got soaked. Not damp, but SOAKED. It doesn't bother me when I haven't done my hair, but my hair was still in curlers and now has to dry again. I blow dried the curls through the scarf a bit to speed up the drying process but the whole point of pin curls is to NOT use heat.

I hate going without showers for too long and I'm taking an evening class, so if I shower the night before, I'm gross by the evening. Normally I'm all about evening showers, but if I'm out through 9pm, I just don't feel fresh by then.

Any suggestions? How do you keep your hair as dry as possible?

pepperminttea
June 13th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Is your shower adjustable or fixed? I just move mine to the lowest setting. :) I lived with a fixed one for a year, and hated it; I never felt properly clean.

Anje
June 13th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Did you leave the scarf on under the shower cap? I suspect it might ave helped wick moisture up to your hair if you did.

Beyond that, maybe try not washing the nape of your neck in the shower on days you do this? That's where I tend to get leakage. Just wipe it with a washcloth, but don't use the shower spray.

ellen732
June 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I use a cloth hair band under my shower cap. I use it to cover my hair line and it works pretty well.

caiti42
June 13th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I use a cloth hair band under my shower cap. I use it to cover my hair line and it works pretty well.

I do the same :)

Works for me!

gogirlanime
June 13th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I shower first wearing a shower cap because I wash my hair only with distilled bottled water because mine is so hard even high-quality filters still leave too much for my hair. Just be more careful, don't let your head sit right under the shower faucet, of course your hair is going to get a bit wet if you do that. I think the main point of a shower cap is so that when you shower keeping your head away from the faucet it is meant to keep the drops shooting everywhere from getting on your hair, but it's not like a swimming cap. Come to think of it, maybe try that instead.

McFearless
June 13th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Personally, I turn on the shower to get wet and lather up my body scrubber. Then I turn off the shower, so that water can't bounce off my shoulders and onto my hair, and I do my washing duties with the water turned off. Lastly, I turn on the shower head and rinse all over and I've saved a lot of water that would be running through the drain while I just stood there lathering up. My hair never gets wet this way and I rarely use a shower cap.

Dragon
June 14th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I put my hair in a bun or a ponytail pulled half way through the band using a cloth hair band.

Venefica
June 14th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I have a very good shower cap, as long as I do not submerge my head it holds the water out and it is not to tight either. I use the Little Devil Shower Cap.

http://www.geo.shopwiki.com/Little-Devil-Shower-Cap

C.H.
June 14th, 2011, 02:31 AM
You might consider upgrading your shower cap.

http://www.folica.com/reviews/tools/hair-towels-and-turbans/blow-perfect-shower-cap#reviews_anchor

Flossy
June 14th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Personally, I turn on the shower to get wet and lather up my body scrubber. Then I turn off the shower, so that water can't bounce off my shoulders and onto my hair, and I do my washing duties with the water turned off. Lastly, I turn on the shower head and rinse all over and I've saved a lot of water that would be running through the drain while I just stood there lathering up. My hair never gets wet this way and I rarely use a shower cap.

OMG, if I did this I would freeze to death. Even with the heater on, my bathroom is like a fridge.

I can't help, I love to stick my shower-capped head right under the stream, so I always get wet edges.

Venefica
June 14th, 2011, 06:16 AM
That shower cap you linked to seams very nice, though I do like my devil horn cap. It makes me feel all evil in the bat tub. I would like one of the shark bath caps I have seen though. *Hums Jaws theme music.*

MyDarkling
June 23rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
You're gonna laugh your butt off but what I do is FREE and awesome...but totally ghetto.

I put my hair up in a bun high on the back of my head, and then I put a plastic grocery bag on my head! I pull it tight around my scalp and secure the excess to my bun with a very large scrunchie (over the top, the scrunchie gets wet, hair doesn't.) Has never failed me =)

Jenn of Pence
June 23rd, 2011, 10:53 PM
You might consider upgrading your shower cap.

http://www.folica.com/reviews/tools/hair-towels-and-turbans/blow-perfect-shower-cap#reviews_anchor

You're gonna laugh your butt off but what I do is FREE and awesome...but totally ghetto.

I put my hair up in a bun high on the back of my head, and then I put a plastic grocery bag on my head! I pull it tight around my scalp and secure the excess to my bun with a very large scrunchie (over the top, the scrunchie gets wet, hair doesn't.) Has never failed me =)

Lol, well I wouldn't have thought about a plastic bag, but that would work. ;) I suppose my suggestion is similar in spirit to these...some shower caps are slightly larger than others. Now, I don't know if yours is "poofier" in the crown region or not, but one that is (I think it might be called bouffant style?) would be able to be pulled down further and cover more of the edges. That being said, even my bouffant cap allows my edges to get wet, too. Maybe plastic bag is the way to go. ;)

And may I just take this opportunity to say how ridiculously unsexy I feel in a shower cap? I'll wear it, but I feel silly in it! :p

MyDarkling
June 24th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Omg yes. I feel like a complete ... idiot. Or like an old lady. Or worse, since I use grocery bags. LOL!

JuliaDancer
June 24th, 2011, 06:42 AM

OMG I do the same!!! I tie the handles at the nape of my neck and add a snap clip to grab it together tightly!

MyDarkling
June 24th, 2011, 06:49 AM
OMG I do the same!!! I tie the handles at the nape of my neck and add a snap clip to grab it together tightly!

I tend to take the ends where the handles are and sorta twist them and wrap them around my bun like another layer of hair, and then scrunchie over it.

GRU
June 24th, 2011, 08:02 AM
You can also use two different caps, to get better coverage.

I do this when I henna -- I put one cap on that is angled for my nape and behind my ears (so it's more vertical on my head and doesn't come forward enough to touch the skin of my forehead) and another one that is angled for my forehead and temples (so it's more horizontal on my head and doesn't come down far enough to touch the skin at my nape).

In my case, I just use the disposable "treatment" caps, because the edges get all nasty with henna (especially the one on the back of my head, where the top/front edge is on my goopy hair instead of on my skin), but you could also do this with regular reusable shower caps.

kidari
June 24th, 2011, 08:14 AM
The plastic grocery bag idea is interesting! I also use a cloth hair band, the kind with the velcro closure, underneath the shower cap along the edges for extra protection. Even though I have the shower cap on, I'm still very careful to keep my head away from the shower head during my shower.